On campus production house and radio station airing 24/7
Film & Theatre Centre for better training of students
Strong and prominent alumni network
The field of mass media and communication studies is evolving at a rapid pace as a result of the changes taking place in media industries with the emergence of new media technologies. The new modes of communication, audiences and effects at social, cultural, political and global levels in a highly interconnected world have offered numerous possibilities for the media schools around the world to tailor their academic programmes and professional training accordingly to meet the requirements of contemporary media environment. The Faculty of Media and Communication Studies (FMCS) at the University of Central Punjab (UCP) is geared towards becoming a vital part of this paradigmatic shift in the media industries and media education. As the Dean of FMCS, my vision synchronizes with the UCP’s vision of attaining highest international standards in education. The distinguished faculty members, staff and students at the FMCS are committed to this vision and are constantly endeavoring to attain academic and professional excellence and explore emerging horizons to become a brand name in the media and communication industries and academia at the international level.
At FMCS, we impart to the students in-depth knowledge and industry-based skillsets, along with critical thinking and creativity, in order to harness the students’ potential for a future either within or beyond the media and communication industries. We provide an interdisciplinary environment with focus on the core components of the media and communication degrees. We offer various degree programmes including BS (Honors), MSc, MPhil (Research and Professional) and PhD (Media and Communication Studies) that embrace different theoretical, practical, methodological and scientific approaches. We develop the students’ qualifications and skills required to work as print and electronic media professionals, film and theatre directors, public relations and advertising specialists, digital media content writers, producers, data journalists, immersive media experts, innovators, media entrepreneurs, scholars and researchers. We offer an array of exceptional facilities like in-house TV studio, Non-Linear Editing Lab, in-house Radio Station FM 92.6 (UCP Ki Dunya) to equip students with the practical knowledge needed to be successful media professionals at the national and international levels. In addition to these facilities, the students will have the chance to gain hands-on experience through our internship programmes at Dunya Media Group. The quality of FMCS faculty and the vitality of its programmes remain unmatched.
As the Dean of this highly motivated Faculty, I invite you all to become a part of the dynamic transformation that is taking place in media education and training at the FMCS. We sit at the crossroads of a new dawn of media education and profession the world over, and the Faculty of Media and Communication Studies at UCP is all set to lead this transformation by virtue of the commitment of its faculty and potential of its students.
Prof. Dr. Taimoor-ul-Hassan
Dean, Faculty of Media and Communication Studies
The Faculty of Media and Communication Studies (FMCS) was established in 2014 to revolutionise the landscape of media education in Pakistan. FMCS offers degree programmes in Media and Communication Studies and practical opportunities to the students through internships and job placements at reputed organisations. The faculty has developed an interdisciplinary curriculum that offers a wide range of courses. With a broad spectrum of techniques and technology-rich instruction, FMCS aims to initiate their own media enterprises. FMCS equips its students with updated knowledge, skills and technical equipment, enabling them to start working as early as possible. Faculty of Media and Communication Studies is the first-ever national institution with its own TV studio/ production house, state-of-the-art Non-Linear Editing Lab (NLE) and a student-run Radio Station FM 92.6 (UCP Ki Dunya) 24/7 transmission. FMCS is constantly endeavouring to attain academic and professional excellence and exploring emerging horizons to become a brand name in the media and communication industries and academia at national and international levels.
Why study at Faculty of Media and Communication Studies (FMCS)?
If you are passionate about your goals, FMCS has the following features and facilities to help you achieve your potential:
- The first ever state-of-the-art in-house TV Studio/Production House. An ideal opportunity for students to get hands-on training to produce news bulletins, news reports, talk shows, short films, documentaries as well as experience virtual studio productions
- Non-Linear Editing Lab with latest editing and graphic designing software
- FM Radio 92.6, UCP Ki Dunya. the first educational Radio Station in Pakistan running round the clock transmission
- Partnership opportunities with international universities and organizations
- Four specializations offered in BS (Hons.)
- Theatre, Film and Television
- Digital Media and Entrepreneurship
- Professional Journalism (Electronic and Print Media)
- Advertising and Public Relations
- Highly qualified and professional teaching faculty
- Centre for Training and Research (CTR)
- Film and Theatre Centre (FTC)
- State-of-the-art Classrooms and infrastructure
- In-house Internship opportunities for students in Production House/TV Studio, NLE lab and FM Radio 92.6, UCP Ki Dunya, Dunya News/TV, Dunya Newspaper and Lahore News.
- Internship and career opportunities for students in leading TV channels, newspapers, Public Relations & Advertising agencies, Radio stations and in other different media outlets.
- Faculty’s collaboration with Arizona State University & US State Department as a project partner to improve election coverage in Pakistan. In the first phase of this project, the course of “Media, Politics and Reporting Elections” has been introduced for the students of MPhil degree programme.
Centre for Advanced Studies (CAS)
Under the Centre for Advanced Studies, FMCS offers M.Phil. and Ph.D. Programmes in Media and Communication Studies, supervised by nationally and internationally reputed teaching faculty.
Being the first one in private sector universities to have NOC from HEC for its M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes in Media Studies, FMCS has full-time professors as permanent faculty members.
Under the supervision of such highly qualified faculty, students are empowered with diverse knowledge through an integration of both theory and practice, which prepares them to understand and manage the communication revolution by engaging in innovative researches and creative accomplishments.