MA. PhD, MS (DSE), Iowa, USA
Dr. Shafiq is a writer of award winning books such as Urdu column Naweesi, Feature Nigari and America Nama. He was a former Professor and Chairman of Mass Communication Department Punjab University Lahore, Dean Faculty of Social Sciences and Faculty of Humanities, Karakorum International University, Gilgit. He has also severed as Former Chairman Department of Media and Communication Lahore Leads University.
PhD (Journalism/Mass Communication), Punjab University, Pakistan.
MS (DSC), Iowa, USA.
*Presently working with the School of Media and Communication Studies, in University of Central Punjab, Lahore as Professor. Teaching to the M. Phil and Ph. D. classes courses of Communication Theory and
Research and supervising the research of 5 M. Phil and 5 Ph. D students.
Before this worked as the Chairman and Professor of Media and Communication Department in Lahore Leads University for one and half year. In this university six M. Phil students completed their research work under my guidance.
Before that I works as Editor Editorial with Daily Pakistan, Lahore, in this capacity I wrote editorials and columns for this newspaper for around one and half year.
* Before that I worked In Karakoram International Universitry, Gilgit as Chairman Media and Communication Department and Dean Faculty of Social Sciences & Humanities from August 2009 to October 2012. In this position I also worked as:
i), Chairman Dean’s Committee
ii). Chairman Affiliation Committee
iii) Member Syndicate
iv), Member Selection Board
v), Chairman Appeal Committee
vi), Member Finance and Planning Committee
vii), Editor University News Bulletin
vii), Chairman Publications Committee
- Retired after 36 and half years service from the Institute of Communication Studies, University of the Punjab as a Professor on May 4, 2008. When this Institute was a department, I, also worked as the Chairman of this Department for six years (June 1997 to July 2003) and was re-appointed as the Chairman and Professor of Mass Communication and Media Studies Department at Gujranwala Campus of PU. Then after six months, was appointed as a Professor of Development Support Communication with the Institute of Social and Cultural Studies, University of the Punjab on contract basis. Also taught communication course for one semester in The University of Computer and Emerging Sciences, Lahore,( Spring-2009)
- IN the capacity of Chairman of the Mass Communication Department, I, achieved the following:
(a) Initiated the following new academic programmes in the Department:
(i) Diploma in Development Support Communication (ii) M. A. Development Journalism (iii) M. A. Mass Communication Five Sequence Programme (iv) M. A. Mass Communication Replica (evening programme) (v) Regular Ph. D. Programme (vi) Introduced Semester System.(vii) Started B. A. Honours Programme in Mass Communication.
(b) Designed modem curricula for five- sequences M. A. Mass Communication and offered specializations in five areas i.e. (i) Mass Communication Theory and Research.(ii) Public Relations and Advertising (iii) Print Media and On Line Journalism (iv) Electronic Media (v) Development Communication
(c) Planned and initiated FM Radio and Close Circuit Television for University of the Punjab.
(d) Got FM Radio license from PEMRA for Punjab University Radio run by Mass Communication Department.
(e) Negotiated with UNESCO and got the modem equipment for radio production and transmission from them.
(f) Established radio and television studios, control rooms and offices for Punjab University Radio and Community Information Centre etc.
(g) Started the process of Television and Radio productions by students for their academic needs. Many of which have been broadcast by national radio and television channels.
(h) Got cooperation from the print and electronic media for extending practical facilities to our students
(i) Prepared documentaries on water issues for Punjab Irrigation and Drainage Authority Lahore (PIDA), also designed de-silting campaign on electronic and print media for Punjab Irrigation and Power department.
(j) Arranged training in Communication and PR Skills for 300 employees of LESCO.
(k) Arranged many national and international conferences and seminars on electronic and print media at the department.
(I) Started publishing regular Punjab University News as its editor.
(m) Published International Journal of Media Studies as its editor.
(n) Started publishing monthly “Roshani” a University Magazine for the youth as its editor.
(o) Supervised and edited the University magazine Mehwar’s English section
(p) Five Ph. D. and more than a dozen M. Phil scholars completed their research work under my supervision. Presently supervising the research work of three PU Ph. D. scholars.
(q) I helped Punjab government Education Department, Anti Norcotics Board, Emergency ambulance Service CBR and UNICEF Lahore for designing their communication strategies.
(r) Supervised dozens of students’ laboratory newspapers and magazines.
(s) Supervised dozens of students’ electronic productions.
(t) Started the process of publishing Laboratory newspapers and magazines by the students for their academic needs
(u) Helped the University Grants Commission, Gomal University, Peshawar University, B. Z. University Multan, lslamia University Bahawalpur and Allama Iqbal Open University, Islamabad in designing and revising their curricula for Mass Communication and M. Phil programmes.
(v) Established two computer labs for the students to train them in computer editing and page making, and provided a local networking facility to the students for the use of Internet.
(w) For the first time in the history of the University I set the tradition of Orientation Tours of new classes.
(x) Arranged special functions presided over by Information ministers i.e. Syed Mushaahed Hussain, Mr. Nisar Memon and Sheikh Rashid Ahmed, Governors i.e. Mr. Shahid Hamid and Lt.Gen.(r) Khalid Maqbool and dozens of top scholars and professionals.
(y) Introduced communication support projects by the students under which they completed dozens of welfare works.
(z) Induced my colleagues to prepare learning teaching formats of their courses before they start teaching any course. Prepare objectives, tests, quizzes and self evaluation questionnaires before the start of any course.
- First appointment in the Department of Mass Communication as a lecturer on Nov.1, 1971.
- Taught the subjects of Media History, Television and Radio Production,
Communication Planning and Message Construction, Selection and Use of
Communication Channels, Public Relations, Reporting, Sub-Editing, Language & Communication, Advanced Development Communication, Media, Culture and Society, Feature and Column Writing, Advanced Communication Theory.
- Worked as Feature Writer & Translator with Directorate of Agriculture Information, Government of Punjab, Lahore from May 24, 1971 to October 30, 1971. Wrote articles and scripts for their magazine and Radio Productions.
- Worked as a Sub-Editor (Article and Feature Writer) in weekly the Zindagi, Lahore from June 17, 1970 to May 23, 1971.
- Worked as Sub-Editor in daily “Jassarat” Multan (in-charge Lahore Office) from March 16, 1970 to June 16, 1970.
- Worked as a Sub-Editor in daily” Nida-i-Millat”, Lahore from June 20, 1969 to March 15, 1970.
- Worked as a Sub-Editor in daily” Awam” Faisalabad (then Lyallpur) from May 1963 to June 1967.
- Worked as a Sub-Editor in daily “Wifaq” Lahore, from January 1, 1969 to June 9, 1969.
- Worked as honorary News Editor with daily the” Siassat”, Lahore for six months during 1972.
- Worked as a part-time Public Relations Officer in the Evacuee Trust Property Board, Government of Pakistan Lahore. (I, established Public Relations Office in this organization for the first time and produced many video programmes about the organization and gave smooth running to the office).
- Worked on contract basis as Magazine Advisor (for six months with daily “Jang”, Lahore during 1981).
- Worked as in-charge Public Relations (Additional Charge) for University of the Punjab (1987-89) Produced many radio and television programmes for the University and established Photo Lab. and audio visual section for it.
- Worked as a Consultant for Media Information Department of the Interim Afghan Government (MIDIA) during 1988.
15.Worked as Consultant Grade A with the Research and Analysis Committee Prime Minister Secretariat for one year under the Chairmanship of Dr. Ejaz Shafi Gilani during 1993.
- Designed Communication Plan (Technical Proposal) for the whole country for the IEC needs of National Drainage Programme (NDP) WAPDA on behalf of Krizs International and Gelpek Autrialia, which won the first position in the international bid (competition).
- Worked as Media Consultant of NADRA for six months during the year 2003.
- Delivered lectures at Florida State University, Tallahassee in August,2014-12-19 .Appointed as Referee for Journal of International Communication, U SA.
- Appointed as Chief Judge for Young Journalists Award of CNN, TV.
- Urdu Column Naveesi (Column Writing) 270 pages. Selection Board and Syndicate of University of the Punjab recognized it as a research work of exceptional merit and sanctioned award for it.
- Feature Nigari (Feature Writing) 500 pages. The Selection Board and the Syndicate of the Punjab University also awarded this book for being research work of exceptional merit.
- Sahafat Aur Sahafi (Journalism and Journalist), 336 pages.
- Sahafat Sahafi Aur Ablagh (Journalism, Journalist and Communication), 324 pages.
- Sahafat Aur Iblagh, Pages 368,
- Illmi Encyclopaedia of Everyday Science (Revised and Edited), 164 pages.
- Illmi Encyclopaedia of General Knowledge (Revised and Edited), 520 pages.
- America Nama (Travelogue of the United States of America), 422 pages.
- Who is Who and What is What, (Compilation), 756 pages.
- Malazmat Aur Taraqi (Translation-From English to Urdu), 200 pages.
- Harfe-e-Haq (Compilation), 184 pages.
- Pakistan Ki Sahafti Aur Siasi Dstaney, 200 pages. (in print)
- Lahore Key Urdu Ikhbarat Ka Siasi Kirdar (Ph. D. dissertation) 1000 pages.
- A-One Current & International Affairs (compilation-co-authorship) pages 622.
- Taelqat-e-Aama Aur Iblaag-e-Aam (Co-authorship) pages 250.
- My experience of American Life (English version of American Travelogue with additions-in print).
- 17. Around one dozen story books for children (creative work)
- 18. Haseen Tareen Pakistan- Gilgit Baltistan (Travelogue)
- Member of Asian Mass Communication Research and Information Centre (AMIC), Singapore.
- Member of the Commonwealth Association for Education in Journalism and Communication, Canada.
- Member of Pakistan Public Relations Society.
- Member of Pakistan Council of Media Education.
- Member South Asian Media Association, Pakistan.
- Secretary Media Foundation, Pakistan.
- Patron Youth Talent Council Pakistan.
- Member and Finance Secretary of Maulana Zafar Ali Khan Foundation and Vice President Markazia Majlas-e-Zafar Ali Khan.
- Member Press Council of International Affairs.
- Patron Young Journalists Circle, Lahore..
- Patron Development Journalists Circle, Lahore.
- Member Lahore Media Club.
- President Council of Pakistan Affairs (CPA).
- Member of Rotary Club, Lahore.
- Member Board of Governors of Joint Committee of Pakistan Foundation International(UK) & TEVETA.
- Patron Chohan Road, Welfare Society (Reg.), Lahore.
- Was Member Board of Studies in Mass Communication, B.Z. University, Multan.
- Was Member Board of Studies in Mass Communication, Islamia University, Bahawalpur, Journalism and Mass Communication Deptt., Peshawar University and Baluchistan University Quetta.
- Member Board of Governors, Educational Research Society, Lahore.
- Was member Board of Advanced Studies and Research, Allama Iqbal Open University, Lahore.
- Member World Punjabi Congress.
- Member South Asian Media Teachers Association (Convener for Pakistan Chapter).
- Vice President Pakistan Institute for World Peace, Lahore.
- Member Advisory Council Nazria-e-Pakistan Foundation, Lahore
- Member Executive Committee, PINA, Lahore.
- Use of Documentary in Development Support Communication: Journalism Quarterly: Vol. 9 No.3-4 1987
- Illusion of Persuasion In the Process of Development:
Journalism Quarterly: Vol. 9 No.5-6 1987
- Development Planning and Implementation in the Northern Areas of Pakistan: Journalism Quarterly: Vol. 9 No.5-6 1987
- The Process of Slide Tape Show.
Journalism Quarterly: Vol. 9 No.5-6 1987
- Election Coverage and Propaganda
Journalism Quarterly: Vol. 21 No.3-4 2000
- Reporting During Pakistan Movement
Journalism Quarterly: Vol. 7 No.1-2 1985
- Evolution of Reporting in the Indo-Pakistan Sub-Continent.
Journalism Quarterly: Vol. 9 No.3-4 1987
- Negation of Established Journalism Norms by the National Urdu Dailies.
Journalism Quarterly: Vol. 21 No.3-4 2000
- Role of the Press in Children’s Education.
Taleemi Zawiay: Vol. 10 No.3, October 1999
- Politics and Journalism of Ayub Khan’s Regime
Journalism Quarterly: Vol. 21 No.3-4 2000
- Yahya Khan’s Regime and Freedom of the Press.
Journalism Quarterly: Vol. 21 No.1-2 2000
- Why dearth of Investigative Reporting (Urdu), Paper read at the National Urdu Journalism Conference of Mass Communication Department, Karachi University. (2003)
- Role of the Media in the Promotion of Peace Cause in Indo-Pak (Presented in the Kurukshetra University, Haryana, India, International Conference: 9-11 Dec. 2004). in Indo-Pakistan.
- Role of a Communicologist in The Third World: Prepared for the International Concerence of Mass Communication Department, Patiala University India. (8-9 Feb. 2006)
- Critical Study of Gilgit Baltistan Press ( Content Analysis)- Research Journal of Department of Mass Communication, Karachi University (2010).
Seminars and Workshops
- Participated in the “International Workshop on Project Planning, Implementation and Evaluation at Orlando, Florida, USA (Jan.5-10-1987),” Organized by Management Training & Development Institute of Washington DC, USA.
- Participated in International Conference in celebration of the bicentennial of constitution of the United States of America “Towards a More Democratic World” in Philadelphia, USA (June 19, 1987). Organized by the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Bar Association.
- Participated as a resource person in the “National Workshop on Health Education and Communication” in Islamabad (October 3-15, 1987), organized by National Health Institute and Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA).
- Organized (and participated as a resource person) Workshop on Health Communication (July 13-25, 1985). It was sponsored by the UNICEF and organized by the Department of Mass Communication, Punjab University.
- Continuously participating every year as a resource person in the workshop on Agricultural Communication organized by Directorate of Agriculture Information, Government of Punjab, Lahore.
- Participated as a resource person in the National Workshop on Writing Skills (June 11-17, 1991), organized by International Islamic University, Islamabad.
- Organized and worked as a resource person in the Seminar on Media and Children (Nov. 21-23, 1990), organized by UINICEF, Press Institute of Pakistan and Department of Mass Communication, Punjab University, Lahore.
- Participated as a resource person in the National Seminar on Election Coverage (July 1988), organized by Press Institute of Pakistan at Lahore.
- Participated in the National Media Summit for Children
(June 25-26, 1990) organized by UNICEF at Ziarat, Baluchistan.
- Participated in the National Seminar on Public Relations (March, 1984) organized by Pakistan Public Relations Society, at Lahore.
- Participated in the National Seminar on Ethics of Journalism
(March 4-14, 1968), organized by the Department of Mass Communication, Punjab University, Lahore.
- Participated in the National Workshop on Intersectional Collaboration for Mental Health (Nov.21-23, 1995) organized by Allama Iqbal Medical College, Lahore and the World Health Organization.
- Participated in the Workshop on “Professionalism in the Media” (December 14, 1993), organized by American Centre, Lahore.
- Participated in the “Author Development Workshop” (April 18-24, 1992), organized by the National Book Council of Pakistan.
- Participated in the workshop on “Getting the Story-Fairly and Accurately” (May 3, 1995), organized by American Centre, Lahore and Punjab Union of Journalists.
- Participated as a resource person in the “3rd International Youth Conference on Drug Abuse Prevention” (Sep. 11-13, 1999), organized by Youth Council for Anti-Narcotics, Lahore.
- Participated in the “National Workshop in development Support Communication” (August 1-6, 1993), organized by UNICEF at Murree.
- Organized and worked as a resource person in the seminar on “Problems of Children and Women and Role of the Media” (Dec. 1993), organized at Lahore by UNICEF and Department of Mass Communication.
- As a resource person and organizer participated in “Problems of Children and Role of the Regional Press”, (June 1994), organized by the Department of Mass Communication, Punjab University,, and UNICEF at Multan.
- Participated in the National Seminar on “Problems of Children and the Role of Media” (June, 1988) organized by UNICEF at Murree.
- Participated in the seminar on Methodology of Journalism Teaching, (May 23, 1997), organized by South Asian Media Association and Friedrich Ebert Stiftung (FES) at Islamabad.
- Participated in the Workshop on Curriculum for Journalism Education in Asia, (Dec. 1996) organized by the Department of Mass Communication, Punjab University, Lahore.
- Participated in Two-day Workshop on “Media-The Link to Good Governance” (January 6-7, 1998), organized by the Good Governance Group and sponsored by UNDP.
- Participated as a resource person in the Writers Workshop (May, 1998), organized by International Islamic University, Islamabad, at Lahore.
- Participated in the Workshop on Editorial Techniques (Jan. 1998) as a resource person and chief guest, organized by Allama Iqbal Open University, Islamabad, at Lahore. Continuously delivering special lectures at the workshops of this University.
- As the Chairman of Mass Communication Department, Punjab University organized Two-day National seminar on “Ethics of Journalism”
(March 1-2, 1998)
- As the Chairman of Mass Communication Department, organized Two-day National Seminar on “Challenges of New Millenium and Media” (August-1999) at Murree.
- Also organized a five day workshop on News Techniques (conducted by an American Expert, May 26-30, 1998)
- Participated as a resource person in Two-day Workshop for Journalism, Columnists, Writers and Opinion Leaders to Mobilize the Print Media for the Promotion of Literacy and Basic Education (June 22-23, 1998), organized by Prime Minister’s Literacy Commission in collaboration with UNESCO.
- Participated as an organizer in the Seminar on “National Education Policy” (Jan., 1998), organized by Press Institute of National Affairs.
- Participated as a resource person in Workshop for Media arranged by Department of Mass Communication, Islamic University, Bahawalpur, (March 1999)
- Participated in around a dozen seminars of Planning Division, Ministry of Finance, and Good Governance Group, Government of Pakistan.
- Participated in the National Media Advisory Committee’s meetings as a member (2000).
- Participated in National Curriculum Revision Committee of University Grant Commission as a member and helped for updating the Mass Communication Curriculum (June 2001)
- Participated in AMIC-FES Seminar on Pakistan Media and Facilitation of a culture of peace. (August 30, 2001)
- Arranged three Media Workshops on Children’s Rights with the cooperation of UNICEF, Nov. 2001 and three more in the month of Dec. 2001.
- Organized Training Workshop on “Reporting Suicide” with the collaboration of UK’s organization PressWise.
- Organized Training Workshops on “Public Relations and Communication Skills” for 300 LESCO employees. (2002). Designed course for it and was given award from the WAPDA chairman for its great success.
- Continuously participating in radio and television discussion programmes.
- Participated as a resource person in National Seminar on Urdu Press organized by the Mass Communication Department of Karachi University.
- Presented my paper in the International Seminar of Kurukshetra University Haryana, India in Dec. 2004.
- Prepared paper on “Role of a Communicologist in the Third World” to be presented in the International Seminar of the Mss Communication Department of Punjabi University, Patiala, India on Feb. 8, 2006.
- Gave presentation before the SAARC countries’ journalists on Political Role of Pakistani Press at Lahore in January 2006.
- Delivered lecture on “Communication Research in Pakistan” at the Mass Communication Department, Islamia University Bahawalpur in Sep. 2005.
- As its regular member organized and participated in the weekly discussions and seminars of Pakistan Institute of National Affairs (PINA).
- Participated as a resource person in many seminars of Nazria-e-Pakistan Trust, Lahore. Also member of its advisory council.
- Participated as a resource person in many of the Press Institute of Pakistan’s (PIP) seminars/workshops.
- Along with its weekly meetings, arranged many seminars at the platform of Council of Pakistan Affairs (CPA) as its president.
- As a Dean of KIU attended almost all of the seminars and workshops arranged by the Faculty Departments.
- Participated in some of the Gilgit workshops as resource person.
- Was invited six times by different Pakistani societies in Europe and two times in USA as Chief Guest to deliver speeches in their functions. In this connection, I visited the USA, Norway, England, Sweden, and Denmark invited by Democratic Forum, London, Senior Asian Citizens Council, Manchester, Urdu Literary Circle Birmingham, Pakistan Immigrants Labour Organization Norway, Muslim Society Denmark, Friends of Pakistan Virginia, and Islamic Society of North America, New York.
- As a member of “Fellows in International and Public Affairs”, sponsored by the Asia Foundation (June 15-30, 1987) got opportunity of an extensive tour of New York, Philadelphia and Washington. Participated in many Seminars/Discussions with American Think Tanks and met many US high ups like Rear Admiral Edward R. Baker, Director of East Asian and Pacific Affairs in Department of Defense, The Pentagon, Mr. Douglas Paal, Director of Asian Affairs in National Security Council, Washington.
- As member of Press Council of International Affairs (Lahore) participated in its regular weekly discussions and organized dozens of seminars (including national seminars)
- As the President of Young Journalists Circle arranged dozens of seminars / discussion and special meetings in the local five star hotels on the topics related to the profession.
- As the President of Welfare Society Chuhan Road, (Registered), Lahore, established a free dispensary and a library for the community, arranged many meetings of the local people with the high-ups, and started many other projects on self-help basis.
- As member of Rotary Club, Lahore participated in many welfare projects.
- Delivered dozens of lectures at Staff Training Institute, Government of Punjab, Lahore.
- Delivered lectures at CSSAcademy, Lahore.
- Delivered lectures at Institute of Industrial Relations, Government of Punjab, Lahore.
- Delivered lectures at Allama Iqbal Open University.
- Delivered lectures at the Institute of Population Planning, Lahore.
- Participated for dozens times in the Selection Board of Punjab Public Service Commission, B. Z. University Multan, and Islamia University, Bahawalpur and Allama Iqbal Oprn University as subject specialist.
- Delivered dozens of speeches for Pakistan National Centre, Lahore.
- Delivered dozens of speeches in the meetings of different organizations as chief guest and as a speaker.
- Introduced the concept of communication planning and emphasized the Information Orientation in place of Publicity Orientation in the field of Public Relations. I made it clear through articles and training programmes that it is need of the time that public relations practitioners adopt Information Oriented approach in their work and generate ample and varied information about their organizations to eradicate all sort of misunderstandings and to give their input in converting our society into an information rich society. It is rule of the thumb that Quick and Easy Access to information is the Key to Success. If we want development we need wise citizens. Wise citizens are those people who make wise decisions in all the cases. Wise decisions are made only on the basis of proper information regarding the matters they are made about. For this we need to provide all sort of information about all of our organizations, places, businesses, departments, and personalities to all the people at all the places for all the times. It is only possible if all the organizations decide for generating ample and varied information about themselves through their Public Relations / Information wings. Proper information and communication job is not possible without the awareness of communication planning. If Public Relations job is actually two-way communication job then communication planning is the basic task of any communication practitioner and he/she must know the basics of it.
- During the Kashmir and Balakot earthquake, I organized many seminars and relief works.
- I provided free consultancy to Janat Aziz Free Hospital district Vehari, Trust Hospital, Rajana, district Toba Tek Singh and Talib Ayaz Hospital Jaranwala District.
University of central punjab School of Media and Communication Studies
Dr. Shafiq Jullandhry
school of media and communication