Mission Statement of Program
The mission of the Ph.D. program is to prepare scholars for careers in academia as well as in other endeavors that benefit from research skills and expansive knowledge of communication processes, institutions and its impact on society. Our scholars excel as university instructors who conduct original research and scholarship that advances the knowledge in the field. It also contributes to the success of public and private sector enterprises ranging from media and entertainment industries to governmental and non-governmental organizations.
- To promote the culture of knowledge production by conducting effective and objective based research which will cater the professional growing needs and demands of academia and industry.
- To foster critical inquiry and creative thinking in scholars enrolled in Ph.D. while conducting research and evaluate information by methods which are appropriate to the field of communications studies.
- To address the queries regarding communication, journalism and suggesting appropriate recommendations leading towards developing the policy guidelines for existing and emerging issues in the society.
- To develop understanding of analytical techniques required to excel in the field of communication sciences for the development of new dimensions, paradigms, approaches for exploration of new areas of study and research.
- To develop a holistic understanding by branching out to the closely related disciplines of social sciences, i.e. Sociology, political sciences, psychology and economics with the aid of interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches.
This program is divided into three parts, course work, Comprehensive exam and dissertation. Course work is spread over a period of two semesters, involving courses of 18 credit hours. After the completion of course work those students who want to appear in comprehensive exam, have to file candidacy petition. The students will be asked to provide one general area of dissertation and one secondary area in consultation with their advisor and must satisfy the committee that he/she is equipped enough to conduct the research in a specific area. The students will then be asked to take a comprehensive written exam (Max 2 Attempts) followed by Viva Voce. After defending comprehensive exam student will be permitted to write their proposal under the close supervision of their supervisor. The proposal will be discussed in Doctoral Committee and finally in Board of Advance Studies & Research (BAS&R) of University of Central Punjab Lahore. After final approval of proposal students will go for Dissertation.