Dr. Saeed ur Rehman is an Associate Professor in the Department of English where he is teaching English Literature courses both at Graduate and Undergraduate level. His research has appeared in Cultural Dynamics, Kunapipi, The Historian, and Journal of Research (Humanities). He has published monographs on minorities and the education policies of Pakistan. His research interests include postcolonial knowledge production and the politics of cultural identity. He contributes regularly to Pakistani newspapers on literary and social issues
Dr. Jaleel Akhtar is currently serving as assistant professor in English at University of Central Punjab. He has previously taught at the COMSATS, Lahore (2016-18). He did his MA in Creative and Critical Writing from University of Sussex and earned his doctorate from the same university in American Studies, specializing in Toni Morrison. He is the author of two books “Dismemebrment in the Fiction of Toni Morrison” (shortlisted for the Morrison book award in 2015) and “Toni Morrison and the New Black: Reading God Help the Child”. His research articles are published online and in internationally renowned journals like the Oxford University Press Journal “Contemporary Women’s Writing”. He has successfully supervised a range of research theses and welcomes research topics falling under his areas of research expertise.
Dr. Khalid has presented and published his research in national and international conferences and journals. A significant number of students have completed their MPhil under his supervision. He is a member of editorial advisory board at New Horizon journal, Greenwich University, Pakistan (HEC recognized) and a reviewer in some other HEC recognized journals. He has passion for teaching and enjoys travelling and sports in his leisure time. He is an HEC approved MPhil/PhD supervisor. https://www.hec.gov.pk/english/scholarshipsgrants/ASA/Pages/APS-EPORTAL.aspx
Mr Tahir Saleem is serving as Assistant Professor, at University of Central Punjab, Lahore. Before joining University of Central Punjab, he has served for seven years in Army Burn Hall College for Boys, Abbottabad, and for three and half years in the University of Lahore, Gujrat campus. Recently, he has submitted his PhD thesis for final evaluation at Air University, Islamabad with specialization in Linguistics. He has presented and participated in various national and international conferences. He has quite vigorously been engaged in publishing his research work in the national journals. A number of students have completed their M. Phil. under his supervision.
1. Language Testing
2. Semantic and Pragmatic
3. Literature in Translation
4. Theories of Language Description
5. Assessment of Language Skills
PhD. (2018) Sociocultural Transfer in English-using Pakistanis Apology Responses
Air University, Islamabad (Thesis Submitted)
M.Phil English (2014)
Hazara University, Mansehra
MA ELTL (2007)
University of the Punjab
MA English (2005)
University of the Punjab
THE UNIVERSITY OF LAHORE
Assistant Professor (Sept 5, 2014 – till-date)
- Have worked as HoD of English linguistics and Literature from Sept 2014 to 2016
- Have been working as Deputy HoD from Aug, 2016 to date
- Have worked as Program Advisor of M.Phil. Applied Ling & Lit from October 2016 to Aug, 2017
- Have taught 5 core courses of linguistics and literature to the students of M.Phil linguistics and literature for more than 8 times during last four years.
- Have supervised more than 10 MPhil theses during this period.
- Have consistently been rated among the best by my students through the feedback system
- Have consistently been working as Campus sports coordinator
- Have been the editor of Campus newsletter
ARMY BURN HALL COLLEGE FOR BOYS ABBOTTABAD
Lecturer (BPS-17) in English (March 17, 2008- Oct 31, 2014)
- I have been one of the best House Masters of the college years 2010, 2011 &2013.
- I worked as the Program Coordinator for ‘O’ & ‘A’ Levels English.
- I took care of the part of program related to language.
- I also received best teacher award twice in years 2010 and year 2011 for producing outstanding results in Board Exams.
- I have consistently been rated among the best teachers by my students through feedback system.
- I have worked as the officer in-charge of college football team
- I have worked as the officer in-charge of college newsletter
- I have worked as the officer in-charge of English literary society at ABHC
- Aziz, A., Maqsood, B., Saleem, T., Azam, S. (2018). The Comparative study of Wh-movement in Urdu and English Language. International Journal of English Linguistics. 8(5).
- Aziz, A., Maqsood, B., Saleem, T., Azam, S. (2018). The investigation of Pragmatic Transfer in the Realization of the speech act of Congratulations by Punjabi EFL Learners. International Journal of English 8(5).
- Saleem, T., Anjum, U. (2018). Positive and negative politeness: A crosscultural study of apology responses by British English and Pakistani Urdu speakers. International Journal of English Linguistics. 8(5).
- Slaeem, T., Azam., S. (in press). Teaching Pragmatic Competence: A Case of Pragmatic Transfer in Punjabi- speaking University Students Compliment Responses. Journal of Research & Reflections in Education
- Saleem,T., Basharat., A. (in press). A Lacanian Reading of Ashes, Wine and Dust: The Mourning Subject of Desire. New Horizons (HEC Recognized Journal)
- Saleem, T., Anjum, U. (in press). Impact of Social Power on the Performance and Perception of English-using Pakistanis Pragmatic Transfer of Apology Responses. (accepted in X category journal)
- Saleem, T., Anjum, U. (in press). Caught between Two Cultures: Pragmatic Transfer in English-using Pakistanis Apology Responses. Journal of Social Sciences, QAU. (Accepted)
- Saleem, T., Azam, S. (in press). Breaking the Conventional Modesty: Sociocultural Transfer in English-using Pakistanis Apology Strategies. Journal of Research in Social Sciences, NUML. (Accepted)
- Saleem, T., Azam, S. (in press). The Use of Apology Strategies in English by Pakistani EFL University Students in Pakistan. International Journal of English Linguistics. (Accepted)
Conferences Paper Presented
- Paper titled: ‘Schematic Rhetorical Analysis of Job Advertisements of English Newspapers in Pakistan’ was presented in ‘International Conference on Emerging Trends of Researching in Language and Literature’ held on 24-25 Dec, 2015 in Air University, Islamabad.
- Paper titled: ‘Caught between Two Cultures: Pragmatic Transfer in English-using Pakistanis Apology Responses’ was presented in ‘Two Days International Conference: Problems and Challenges to English Language Teaching Reforms in Religious Madrassas Of Pakistan’ held on 15-16 Nov , 2017 in University of Malakan, KPK.
- Paper titled: ‘Impact of Social Power on the Performance and Perception of English-using Pakistanis Pragmatic Transfer of Apology Responses’ was presented in ‘2nd International Conference on Linguistics & Literature’ held on Dec 6-8, 2017 in Islamia University, Bahawalpur.
Conferences Paper Submitted
- Paper titled: ‘Positive and Negative Face Threats: A Cross-cultural Study of Apology Responses by British and Pakistani Speakers’ is submitted in ‘34th South Asian Languages Analysis Roundtable’ is going to be held on June 19-21, 2018, Konstanz, Germany
- Paper titled: ‘Comparing Apology Responses in Hindhko and Punjabi: Cultural and Gender Perspectives’ is submitted in ‘3rd Kashmir International Conference on Linguistics, is going to be held on April 16-17, 2018 in Department of English and Institute of Languages, The University of Azad Jammu and Kashmir, Pakistan
- Attended Two Weeks workshop on Teaching English at Secondary level held in IER, PU on July 17, 2007
- Attended online Eight weeks workshop on Assessment of Language skills for ‘A’ levels conducted under the auspices of Cambridge University in Aug, 2010.
- Attended One Day workshop on Corpus Linguistics workshop held in Air University conducted by Dr Bennet Vincent from Coventry University, UK on Dec 17, 2015
+92-42-35880007 Ext: 674
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Central Punjab
Dr. Ismat Jabeen is currently serving as Assistant Professor, at University of Central Punjab. She received her PhD from National University of Modern Languages, Islamabad with specialization in Applied Linguistics. Her further research also focuses mainly on the teaching and learning of English within Pakistani context mostly combining theory and practice. Her research work has been published nationally and internationally. A number of students have completed their BS & M. Phil. research theses under her supervision.
- Women Literature
- 19th & 20th Century English Poetry
- Research Methodology in Applied Linguistics
PhD English Language: National University of Modern Languages, 2014
Thesis Title:English Language Teaching: Implementing Collaborative
Language Learning Approach in Federal Colleges of Pakistan
Major Courses studied in M. Phil & PhD Course work:
2- Educational Psychology
3- Philosophy of Education
4- Paradigm of Education
5- Literary Studies
6- General Linguistics
7- Applied Linguistics
8- Advanced Research Mechanics
9- Literary Theory and Contemporary Criticism
10- Post Colonial Literature
Masters English Literature: University of Punjab, Lahore, 2002
Graduation University of Punjab, Lahore, 2000
Intermediate Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education Rawalpindi, 1996
University of Central Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan
Serving as Assistant Professor since Sep, 2015 till present and have taught following courses to BS English and M. Phil Applied Linguistics:
BS English: Advance English Writing I
Advance English Writing II
Language, Culture & Society
18th & 19th Century Novel
19th & 20th Century English Poetry
Research Methodology in Literature
M.Phil: Research Methodology in Applied Linguistics
University of Lahore, Gujrat Campus, Pakistan.
Served as Assistant Professor (Adjunct Faculty) from Sep, 2014 till December 2015 and taught following courses to M. Phil (Linguistics & Literature):
- Modern and Contemporary Literature
- Postcolonial Studies (Literature)
- Research Methodology (Linguistics & Literature)
- Critical Discourse Analysis (Linguistics)
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Translation Studies (Linguistics)
- Teaching English in Large Classrooms (Linguistics)
Air University, Islamabad, Pakistan.
Served as Lecturer from January 2014 to May 2014 and taught the following courses at graduate and postgraduate level:
- Language and Identity M. Phil
- Technical Writing BSCS
- Report Writing BSCS
- Communication Skills BBA
Served as Assistant Professor from June 2014 till September, 2015 and taught following courses to M. Phil:
- General Linguistics
- Critical Discourse Analysis
- Postcolonial Studies
- Research Methodology
- Language and Identity
The IELTS Academia
Served from February 2010 to January 2014 as an Instructor for IELTS, BULATS, TOFEL, M.A English courses.
Cambridge University Examiner
BULATS Speaking Examiner in 2011
Served as Researcher & Team Coordinator for Current Affairs Shows for 06 Months (2012)
Served as Researcher & Team Coordinator for Current Affairs Shows, from October, 2010- May, 2012
Al Siddique Public School, Rawalpindi
Served as English Teacher for 10th Standard in 2009
Indigenous Scholarship: Availed H.E.C Indigenous PhD Scholarship for M. Phil Leading to PhD in 2005
- Enhancing Speaking Skill of Undergrad Students through Group Work: Theory and Practice
- Kashmir Journal of Language, 2016, V 19(2).
- Scaffolding English Language Teaching: Enhancing Listening Skill of College Level Learners in Pakistan, Kashmir Journal of Language, 2014, V 17(2).
- Implementing Sociocultural Approach in Teaching English as a Second Language in Pakistan: Challenges and Remedies. Journal of Education and Practice, May, 2013, 107-115: http://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/JEP/article/view/5756
Conference Presentations & Participation
Representing South Asian Sufism: Conference attended on 14th April, 2017.
Effective Use of Sentence Connectors: From Theory to Practice
Presented in 4th Global Conference on Linguistics & Foreign Language Teaching.
Organized by Academic World Education & Research Centre, Ephesus-Aydin, Turkey from 03-05th November, 2016.
Gender Neutral Language in Academic Settings in Pakistan: A Discourse Analysis
Presented in The 2nd Kashmir International Conference on Linguistics.
Organized by The University of Azad Jammu and Kashmir, Muzaffarabad on 4th & 5th May, 2015.
Enhancing Speaking Skill of Undergrad Students through Group Work: Theory and Practice
Presented in 30th SPELT Annual International Conference held from 12th to 14th Sep, 2014 in Islamabad.
- Eight M. Phil students have completed their degree under my supervision. Another six M. Phil scholars are working on their research theses.
- I have also served extensively as an Internal and External Thesis Examiner for both M. Phil & PhD Theses.
Qualitative Research Practices
Workshop organized by University of Central Punjab, Lahore.
20-21st January 25, 2016 at University of Central Punjab,Lahore.
Intellectual Property Rights
Training Workshop organized by HEC IMSciences
18-19th April, 2015 at Islamabad Hotel
Tolerance, Conflict Resolution Peace
Workshop organized by HEC Air University
13-14th April, 2015, at Air University
Systematic and Easy Literature Review Techniques
Using EndNote, NVivo, and Turnitn for Citation, Writing and Combating Plagiarism
Organized by Institute of Research Promotion, in collaboration with The University of Lahore, on 27th28th June, 2014
Professional Women: Balancing it All
A Talk by US Military Female Officers arranged by US Embassy Monday 9th of March, 2015.
A Talk by Brigadier Dr. Akhtar Nawaz Malik at Air University, 30th April, 2015.
I have an interest in highlighting socio-political issues of Pakistan in my articles.
Now It Is Time To.. http://blogs.dunyanews.tv/?p=470
The Power is ours http://blogs.dunyanews.tv/?p=497
A Ruthless Bully http://blogs.dunyanews.tv/?p=3118
042-35880007 Ext: 637
Faculty of English, University of Central Punjab
Dr. Saeed Ur Rehman
Dr. Jaleel Akhtar
Dr. Khalid Ahmed
Dr. Ismat Jabeen
Assistant Professor (On Leave)
Department of English