Dr. Fehmida Sultana has a PhD in English Literature from Tufts University, USA. She has been associated with the University of Central Punjab (UCP) since 1994. Before joining UCP, she taught at Harvard University, and the University of Tennessee. She has worked on various teaching and administrative positions at the University level in Pakistan and overseas.
In 2006, Dr. Fehmida Sultana assumed her responsibilities as the Pro-Rector of the University of Central Punjab. After completing her tenure as Pro-Rector, she was assigned the offices of the Dean of Academics and the Dean of Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences. Currently, she is the Dean of Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Her teaching and research interests are in British Romantic Poetry, Colonial and PostColonial literature. She is also the Chairperson and member of several committees and associations. She is also a member of the Punjab Public Service Commission’s Evaluation Committee.
Faculty of English, University of Central Punjab
- Pakistan Studies,
- Introduction to International Relations and Social Science
Masters in International Politics
(Distinction) School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, United Kingdom
Bachelors (Honors) in Social Science and Economics (High Merit)
Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan
Advanced ‘A’ Levels
Lahore Grammar School, Defence
University of Central Punjab
Lecturer in Politics and International Relations
Khalid and Khalid – Talent Recruitment International
Research Consultant (Full Time/Part Time)
- Provided internal advice on potential candidates for a specific role
- Researched and collated information on new client prospects in local and international target markets
- Analyzed and created databases of suitable candidates
- Maintained regular interaction with the Managing partners and provided Advisory services on HR related issues such as training, recruitment
- and handling employee and client queries
- Prepared and updated Employee Manual adhering to and complying with company policies
- Developed long term relationships with clients by building an understanding of their requirements and business culture and catering to their hiring needs
Volunteer work at Maternity and Child Welfare Association of Pakistan
- Designed and published pamphlets to increase health awareness in remote areas of Lahore and Faisalabad among women and children
- Organized trips to these areas and conducted meetings and information sessions
Teaching and Research
- Developed quizzes and assignments for students
- Helped with assignment grading and uploading results on Student Course Registration System
- Handled student queries during regular office hours
- Conducted Tutorials on writing better Research papers
Masters Dissertation exploring the genealogy of colonialism in the international system. The project investigated how knowledge is created about developing countries and then used to formulate policies aimed at their development based upon neo-colonial ideals and beliefs.
- Presented to a panel of academics and an audience of over 100 graduate and undergraduate students
- Received grade of Distinction
- Project archived in SOAS Library Dissertation Samples
Ambassador (Retired) Abdul Mateen holds Masters Degrees in International Relations from the School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), John Hopkins University, Washington D.C., and Economics from the University of the Punjab, Lahore. He has taught various courses at post graduate level at the University of Punjab, Bahauddin Zakariya University, Quaid-e-Azam University, International Islamic University, Fatima Jinnah University, Rawalpindi and Foreign Service Academy Islamabad. He served Government of Pakistan as Foreign Service Officer and served at various positions in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Islamabad and Pakistan Embassies abroad. He has vast experience of participating in Seminars, Conferences and wrote research articles for national and international journals.
Ph. D Scholar,
Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad, (Thesis Submitted)
M. A. (International Relations)
School for Advanced International Studies (SAIS),
John Hopkins University, Washington, D.C.
M. A. (Economics)
University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan.
Forman Christian College, University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan.
- July 2018 – to-date, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Central Punjab, Lahore,
- October 2014 – July 2018, Principal Lecturer, Faculty of Management Sciences, University of Central Punjab, Lahore, (Courses Taught: Principles of Economics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, International Business, International Relations, Conflict Management and Dispute Resolution, Survey of South Asia, Law, Politics and Society, Pakistan Studies)
- February 2001 – Feb. 2003, and November 2006 – April 2008, Foreign Service Academy, Islamabad
- Visiting Faculty Member, Economics Department, Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad. For Fall-2001 (Political Economy), Spring-2002 (Environmental Economics) and Fall 2002 (Political Economy).
- Visiting Faculty Member, Defence & Diplomatic Studies Program, Fatima Jinnah Women University, Rawalpindi. For Fall-2001 (Diplomacy), Spring 2002 (Geo- Economics), Fall 2002 (Diplomacy), Spring 2007 (International Organizations) and Fall 2008 (Geo-economics). Taught undergraduate class in Spring 2002, a subject titled Globalization.
- Visiting Faculty Member, Department of Political Science and International Relations, International Islamic University, Islamabad, For Spring 2002 (International Organizations), Spring 2007 (Political Economy) and Spring 2009 ( Theories of International Relations)
- Institute of Management, PMAS Arid Agriculture University, Rawalpindi, Fall 2007, (Negotiations and conflict Management)
- 1978 – March 1980, Lecturer, Department of Economics, Bahauddin Zakaria University, Multan, Pakistan.
- 1978 – Dec. 1978, Lecturer (part time), Department of Economics, University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan. (Courses Taught: Labor Economics)
Pakistan’s diplomatic missions abroad
- Ambassador of Pakistan to Kyrgyzstan, June 2013 – April 2014
- Ambassador of Pakistan to Senegal with Concurrent Accreditation to Gambia, Cape Verde, Guinea Bissau, Guinea, Ivory Coast and Sierra Leone. August 2009-June 2013
- Minister / Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of Pakistan, Moscow, Feb. 2003 – Oct. 2006
- Counselor, Embassy of Pakistan, Riyadh, September 1998 – November 2000
- Consul, Consulate General of Pakistan, Jeddah, Feb. 1997- August 1998
- Counselor, Embassy of Pakistan, Copenhagen, Sept. 1994 – Feb. 1997
- Third Secretary, Embassy of Pakistan, Kuwait. July 1983 – Feb. 1987
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Director General, (Economic Coordination), March 2009-August 2009
- Director General, (East Asia and Pacific), May 2008 – February 2009
- Director, Foreign Service Academy, Islamabad, November 2006 – April 2008
- Director, Foreign Service Academy, Islamabad, Feb. 2001 – Feb. 2003
- December 2000 – January 2001, Director (Arab Affairs).
- 1992 – Sept. 1994. Director, (United Nations)
- Director, (Afghanistan) February 1989 – August 1990..
- Desk Officer, Responsible for Personnel and Administrative matters of the Officers of the Ministry and Missions abroad, March 1987 – June 1988
- Desk Officer, Middle East and China, Nov. 1980 – Aug. 1981
- Civil Services Academy, Lahore, (Public Administration) April – Nov. 1980
- Foreign Service Training Institute, Islamabad, Sept. 1981- June 1982 Concentration included Diplomacy, International Relations and International Organizations, International Economics, Protocol Practices and Arabic.
- Al-Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt. (Arabic Language) Sept. 1982- June 1983
- United Nations. Geneva, New York, Disarmament Fellow. July 1988- Nov. 1988, Research paper submitted on ‘Confidence Building Measures and South Asia’
- United Nations. Center for Human Rights, Workshop on Human Rights, Jan. 24-28, 1993, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Islamic Development Bank. Jeddah, Seminar on WTO, June 1997.
- 33rd NIPA Advanced Management Course, NIPA, Peshawar. July-October 2002
- Capacity Building Program in Diplomatic Training, 4-15 June 2007, Clingendael Institute, The Hague, Netherlands
List of Publications
- Youth Employment in Pakistan. Journal of Research, University of the Punjab, Lahore, 1978.
- Population of Pakistan, Problems and Prospects. Pakistan Administration, Pakistan Administrative Staff College, Lahore, 1979.
- Rural Development Programs in Pakistan, An Analysis. Journal of Research, University of the Punjab, Lahore, 1979.
- Interest Free Economy: Paper presented in a Seminar at the B.Z. University Multan, 1979
- Political Economy of Fiscal Policy in Pakistan, Journal of Lahore School of Economics, Fall 2003.
- Diversity in Action: India Pakistan Conflict Resolution in Post Cold War Period (1990-2002), in ‘Pakistan’, Institute of Oriental Studies, Moscow, Russia, 2005
- Terrorism Engulfs Pakistan: A study of the growth of internal terrorism in Pakistan, 1972-92, in ‘Pakistan’, Institute of Oriental Studies, Moscow, Russia, 2005
- Disaster Management: UN and International Organizations, Paper presented at a Seminar arranged by the International Relations Department, Karachi University, 2009
- Articles in “Global Age”, Lahore, in Issues from 2016 – 2017
- Environment Degradation in Pakistan, A case for Air Quality,
- Macroeconomic Stability in Pakistan
- Free (but not Fair) Trade Agreements by Pakistan
- Political Violence in Pakistan
Dr. Muhammad Ilyas Ansari earned his PhD degree in Politics and International Relations from International Islamic University, Islamabad. He joined University of Central Punjab (UCP) in February 2012. Before joining UCP, he had taught in different universities of Lahore and Islamabad (UMT, PU, PIFD, FAST, MAJU and IIU).
He is an author of five books on international relations and social issues. He also contributed articles in different newspapers of Pakistan. Now, he frequently appears on national and international TV channels in the programs related to international relations and politics. He hosts one of the Radio shows at FM UCP ki Dunya 92.6 FM.
He has twenty seven years, experience of writing, research, administration, media and teaching.
He has twenty three years’ experience of writing, research, administration and teaching.
- Pakistan Studies
- Political Science
- International Relations
PhD (Politics & International Relations
International Islamic University Islamabad
Master of Arts in Political Science (M. A.)
Islamia University, Bahawalpur
4-Year Diploma in Homeopathic Medicine System (D. H. M. S.)
Multan Homeopathic Medical College, Multan
French Language Certificate (F.L.C.)
University of the Punjab, Lahore
Primary Teaching Certificate (P. T. C.)
Elementary Teachers Training College, Muzaffar Garh
Certificate in Commerce (C.Com.)
Government Commercial Training Institute, Muzaffar Garh
SEMINARS & WORKSHOPS
- Presented Research paper in International Conference in Gdansk, Poland in “Academy of Economics and International Relations” Pakistan’s role in Middle eastern Security” ( May 2008)
- Participated in a one day Teachers Training workshop [Creative and innovative teaching skills] for the Faculty of UMT on February 22, 2008
- Participated in a 2 day Teachers Training workshop for the Faculty of IMT/UMT, organized by IMT/UMT, on December 24, 25, 2002
- Participated in a 3-day Training Workshop on March 27-29, 2001 on the Report Writing Skills organized by Sustainable Development Policy Institute, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Participated in a 1-day Seminar on March 08, 1997 on the Economic Agenda Before New Government of Pakistan organized by Institute of Policy Studies, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Participated in a 1-day Seminar on March 06, 1997 on How to Revive Our Economy organized by the Lahore Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Lahore, Pakistan
- Organized as Member Executive Committee and Member Research Advisory Committee, a 2-day countrywide Business Leadership Seminar 1997 on December 15-16 [ILM/UMT} at Pearl Continental Hotel, Lahore. Governor Punjab, Mr. Shahid Hamid, inaugurated the Seminar while and Federal Minister and Chief Coordinator Prime Minister’s Programme 2010, Mr. Ahsan Iqbal was the Chief Guest. 68 speakers presented their research papers, empirical findings, case studies, etc. in 18 Research Sessions participated by 600 delegates.
- Attended a 1-day Business Communication Skills Workshop organized by Institute of Leadership and Management, Lahore in May 1997.
- Organized as Member Executive, a 2-day International Business Conference on September 19-20, 1995 at Al-Hamra and Avari Hotel, Lahore. President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Sardar Farooq Ahmad Khan Leghari, inaugurated the Conference. MOU’s worth 800 million USD were signed in this mega event amongst the 250 delegates from 23 countries around the globe. The total number of participants tolled to 550.
- Participated in a 3-day Seminar in July 1992 on the Foreign Policy of Pakistan in 90’s organized by Institute of Policy Studies, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Participated in a 10-days Training Camp organized by World Assembly of Muslim Youth (WAMY), K.S.A. & International Syed Maudoodi Educational Research Institute (ISMIERI), Pakistan, on August 14-23, 1987
TEACHING EXPERIENCEaughtat at Minhaj University to the students of M.Phil IR
- Taught Pakistan Studies to the students of BBA , BS Computer Sciences and BS Electrical engineering at National University FAST Lahore.
- Taught History of Diplomacy of Muslim world to the students of M.Phil ( political Science, University of the Punjab, Lahore)
- Taught Muslim Political Thought to the students of BS Politics & IR at International Islamic University Islamabad, in 2010
- Taught Pakistan and Islamic Studies to the students of BBA at Mohammad Ali Jinnah University Islamabad ( January to May 2010)
- Taught Pakistan Studies at Pakistan Institute of Fashion and Design, Lahore[Feb 2009 April 2010]
- Taught Business Ethics in Hailey College of Commerce, University of the Punjab , Lahore[October 2008 to June 2010]
- Teaching “International Organizations” & “Diplomatic History of Muslim World” [Post graduate Diploma in International Affairs] University of the Punjab, Lahore since January 2007.
- Taught Islamic History at UMT, Lahore from 2006 to todate
- Taught “Islam and Personality “ & “ Islam Society and Systems” at UMT, Lahore from May 2001 to August 2007 to the Students of BCS,BTTM,BBA, BECS and B.Com
- Taught Pakistan Studies at UMT, Lahore from May 2001 to 2009 to the Students of BCS,BTTM,BBA, BECS and B.Com
- Taught Modern History at UMT, Lahore to BBA students from August 2002to 2006
- Taught Sociology at UMT, Lahore to BBA students from August to November 2002
- Taught English Language courses to primary classes at Jame-ul-Uloom Kindergarten Public School, Multan during Session 1986-87
- Taught English Language courses to primary classes at Oxford Public High School, Muzaffargarh, during Session 1987-88
- Taught English Language courses to secondary classes at Tameer -e- Seerat Model College, Lahore, during Session 1993-94
- Taught Basic English Language courses to foreign non-native students at International Syed Maudoodi Educational Research Institute (ISMIERI), Lahore, during Session 1996
TEACHING [ EXAMINATION AND PAPER SETTING] EXPERIENCE
Paper Setter/Examiner of MA Political Science for the years of 2006 & 2007 [Lahore College for Women University, Lahore]
External Assessor of MA Political Science [Part I] for the year of 2007, University of Gujrat
Sub Examiner of MA/ BA Political Science, 2008. University of The Punjab, Lahore
TEACHING [ Faculty Development] EXPERIENCE
Consultancy for the Development of faculty of Islamic Studies for University of Gujarat [ 2006 ]
As Research Associate had been involved in:
- Contributing to the development, maintenance and regular updation of various research databases, including:
- Muslim World Infobase__ Comprising of key profiles and economic indicators of all OIC countries and the Muslim World.
- Corporate Network Database__ Comprising of 10,000 addresses and profiles of corporate leaders and organizational reports
- Supervising Industry Review section of the Research and Development Department of ILM engaged in periodic analysis and publication of research reports on various sectors of economy;
- Data collection, data processing, data classification, and data analysis for ILM publications;
List of Publications
- Arakani Muslmanoo Ki Jidojahad-e-Azadi
(Freedom Struggle of Arakani Muslims)
- (Bosnian Tragedy)
(The Bosnia Case)
- Chechnya Kay Sarfroosh
(The Chechen Gallants)
BOOKS UNDER PROCESS
- Updation of Gharailu Encyclopedia ( Urdu Science Board, Pakistan)
- More than 300 articles on Foreign, International Relations, Economics, Culture, Politics.
- Why inter civilization dialogue is imperative for global existential crisis?
(World Congress on Islamic Systems 2011, Malaysia, Conference was held on November 28th to 30th 2011)
- Presented Research paper in International Conference in Gdansk, Poland in “Academy of Economics and International Relations” Pakistan’s role in Middle eastern Security”(May 2008)
- A Comprehensive Report on the Pharmaceutical Industry of Pakistan (PP-235) covering all aspects and dimensions of the issue, policy perspectives, comparative analysis, and global scenario.
- A Comprehensive Report on the Software Development Industry of Pakistan (PP-200) covering all aspects and dimensions of the issue, policy perspectives, comparative analysis, Regional and global scenario.
- Translated several Articles from English to Urdu which published in “ Maghrib Aur Islam” a quarterly Magazine of Institute of Policy Studies Islamabad
- Recently Translated an American Government Report into Urdu[ Changing Minds Winning peace: A new Strategic Direction For U.S. Public Diplomacy In The Arab & Muslim World]
- Translated Articles from Washington Post
- Translated Articles from Weekly Economist London
- Translated Articles from Readers Digest
- Report of the Advisory Group on Public Diplomacy for the Arab and Muslim World [S. House of Representatives]
Note: Samples can be provided on demand
Bosnia: An Interest Archive
BOSNIA: AN INTEREST ARCHIVE
- First ever article about Bosnia in August 1991 published in the Pakistan based largest International Urdu Daily, The Jang, Lahore
- First ever book on the Bosnian issue in Pakistan
- More than 100 articles about Bosnia and East European Muslim Minorities in the widely acclaimed, internationally acknowledged, and largely circulated dailies and periodicals
- Delivered several lectures about Bosnia in various Colleges and Universities during 1992-97
- Visited UAE February 2014
- Visited France May 2008
- Visited Belgium May 2008
- Visited Germany May 2008
- Visited Poland in May 2008 to attend a conference and deliver Lecture in Academy of Economics and International relations, Gdansk, Poland
- Visited Iran in 2005 to write a book on Pak-Iran relations
- Visited Bosnia Herzegovina, in 1998 to write a book about Bosnia-Post War Bosnia and its Future
- Visited Turkey, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia in 1998.
- Visited China twice during 1992 and 1995 to study the socio-economic and geo-political conditions in China and peculiarly observe the interests and issues of Muslim Minorities
- Visited Iran in 1993to study the post-revolutionary Iranian society and its regional impact
Radio & Television
- I had current Affairs Radio Programs in Mid 80s on State Run Radio “ Radio Pakistan, Multan”
- Discussion about “Pak-Iran Relations after 9/11” on Iran’s TV “Jam-e-Jum” in Urdu Service. A 20 minutes live program in November 13, 2005.
- “History of Muslim league from 1933 to 1940” [ A panel Discussion] Pakistan’s state run TV channel “PTV World” , January 17,2007
- “ Rule of Law “ [ A panel Discussion ] private TV channel of Pakistan “Royal TV” Mid of August 2007
- “ Killing of Benazir , Pakistan’s Strategic Assets and Security of Pakistan”
[A panel Discussion] private TV channel of Pakistan “Royal TV” Mid of January 2008
- “Suicide Attacks in Pakistan”
[A panel Discussion] private TV channel of Pakistan “Royal TV” March, 16, 2008.
- Live Studio Program regarding death of Nusrat Bhutto on October 24, 2011 at Star Asia News TV Channel
- Live studio program about the Elections in Tunisia at Channel 5 News on October 26,2011
- Several Live participation on Phone Beepers in different programs of Royal TV, Star Asia News, Channel 5 ,CNBC , BBC Urdu ( Express News, Pakistan) and ARY Q during 2012-2014.
Faculty of Information Technology, University of Central Punjab
Dr. Rashid Ahmad Khan earned his Masters and Ph D degrees (Political Science) from the University of Punjab, Lahore. Currently he is working as Professor and Head of Department, School of Politics and International Relations, University of Central Punjab, Lahore. Previously he worked as Professor and Chairman, Department of Political Science, University of the Punjab, Lahore (1971-2001; Senior Research Fellow, Islamabad Policy Research Institute (IPRI), Islamabad (2002-2010) and Professor and Chairman, Department of International Relations and Political Science, University of Sargodha (2010-2016). Dr. Khan has published about 50 research papers in local and foreign professional journals and is author of three books. He specializes on South Asian, Indian Ocean and Persian Gulf affairs. He has an extensive experience of interacting with foreign research centres and think tanks, including International Non-Government Organizations.
At UCP he is overseeing BS (International Relations) 4-Year Degree Programme and offering courses in Political Science.
- Introduction to Political Science
(Political Science), (PU)
(Socio Cultural Research)
- Pakistan ki Aini Tarikh: 1947-2002(Urdu) (Constitutional History of Pakistan: 1947-2002. A six-episode series Pakistan Television (PTV) World, Current Affairs (Lahore Center) Production on constitutional history of Pakistan, research, script and compering by Dr. Rashid Ahmad Khan, Telecast in August-September, 2002
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Study (Socio Economic Survey) of Mirani Dam, Balochistan, Pakistan; October November; 2001. The study was sponsored by National Engineering Services of Pakistan (NESPAK) for Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA), Pakistan
- Gender Issues in Reproductive Health. A Guide Book for Parents, Teachers, Community Workers and NGOs, Published by Asian Institute for Development Communication (Aidcom), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in collaboration with UNESCO, 2001
- Project Director, UNESCO Inter Regional Study, “On Understanding Socio Cultural Factors Affecting Demographic Behaviour and Implications for the Formulation and Execution of Population Policies” (1999 2000) The field research for the Study was conducted in all the four provinces of Pakistan, using Qualitative Research Methods
- Principal Investigator, Evaluation of Lady Health Workers (LHW), Recruitment, Training and Performance, Prime Minister’s Program For Family Planning and Primary Health Care, Second Phase (Urban), District Sahiwal, Muzaffar Garh and D G Khan, 1996.Principal Investigator, Evaluation of Lady Health Workers, recruitment, Training, performance and community Perceptions, PM Program For FP and PHC, Second Phase (Rural), District Khanewal, 1996.
- Principal Investigator, Evaluation of LHWs, Relevance, Adequacy and recruitment, PM Program for FP and PHC, First Phase (Rural), District Khanewal, 1995
- The Impact of Devolution Plan on the Management and Distribution of Water Resources in Punjab: 2001. The study was sponsored by the International Institute of Water Management (IWMI), Lahore.
- Devolution of Power Plan: 2000. A Report prepared by the Research and Publication Cell, Department of Political Science, Punjab University, Lahore
- Functioning of Pakistan Federation under 1956, 1962 and 1973 Constitutions: Past Experience and Future Projections (1995). This study was commissioned by Political Affairs Wing, Cabinet Division, Government of Pakistan. The study was conducted jointly with Professor, Dr. Mujib A. Sheikh, Chairman, Department of Administrative Science, Punjab University, Lahore through ascertaining the views of 400 intellectuals, constitutional experts, journalists, scholars and politicians in all the four regions of Pakistan.
- Pakistan General Elections; 1993, A Study of Urban Rural Differentials.
- Center Province Relations under the Interim (1947 54) Constitution of Pakistan. This work forms a chapter of Vol. VIII of a multi volume Project of Pakistan History Commission, Government of Pakistan.
- Short Consultancy with The Asia Foundation (TAF), Islamabad for undertaking research project on The Political Economy of Conflict in Balochistan (April-May 2007)
- Consultant, Pattan Development Organization, Islamabad on Elections in Pakistan Project (on going)
- Consultant, National Engineering Services of Pakistan (NESPAK) for Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Study (Socio Economic Survey), Mirani Dam, Balochistan, 2001.
- UNESCO Consultant, Asian Institute of Development Communication (Aidcom) Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for preparing Guide Book on Gender Issues in Reproductive Health for Teachers, Parents, Community Workers and NGOs: 2001
- UNESCO Consultant, Markz Ijitimoy Fikr (Center for the Study of Public Opinion), Government of Uzbekistan, Tashkent, for Socio Cultural Research on Demographic Behaviour, 2000.
- Over 30 years experience of teaching and research at postgraduate level in the Department of political science, Punjab University, Lahore. The areas of interest; Pakistan Politics, Foreign Policy, Local Government, political Systems of South Asian countries, Defense and Security in the Indian Ocean, Persian Gulf, and Pakistan India relations.
- Supervision of M A, M Phil and Ph D Theses on Local Government, Pakistan’s Foreign Policy, Regional Cooperation and Electoral Systems of Pakistan.
- Professor and Chairman, Department of Political. Science, Punjab University, Lahore (retired in 2001).
- Director, Social Sciences Research Center (SSRC) Punjab University, Lahore.
- Professor and Chairman, Department of Political science, Dean faculty of Social Sciences, Islamia University, Bahawalpur 1994-95).
Seminars/Conferences Workshops Attended
- Participated and presented a paper on “Democratic transition in Pakistan: problems and prospects,” in International Conference on Social Sciences organized by University of Lahore, Lahore, April, 2017
- Participated and presented a paper on “Kashmir and Nuclearization of South Asia” in International Conference on Kashmir, organized by Pakistan Studies Centre, University of the Punjab, Lahore, February, 2017
- Participated and presented a paper on “South Asia-Central Asia Connectivity: prospects and challenges of cooperation in security area” in International Conference on South-Central Asia inter-regional connectivity, organized by Department of Political Science, Government College University, Lahore, December, 2016
- Participated and presented a paper on “European Contribution to the evolution of strategy in the Indian Ocean”, in International Conference on Asian History and Culture, organized by National Institute of Historical and Cultural Research (NIHCR), Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad, November, 2016
- Participated and presented a paper on “FATA and Ethno-Federalism in Pakistan”, in International Conference on Ethno-Federalism in Punjab and Beyond, organized by the Department of Political Science, Forman Christian College, University, Lahore, April, 2015
Presented a paper on Political Parties and National Integration in Pakistan, National Conference on Social Harmony and National Integration in Pakistan, National Defence University (NDU), Islamabad, March, 2014
- Presented paper on “Political Constraints on Economic Cooperation in South Asia,” International Conference on Economic Cooperation among SAARC countries, Islamabad Policy Research Institute (IPRI), Islamabad, November, 2014
- Participated and presented the final draft of the paper on “Promoting Common SAARC Counter-terrorism strategy: Pakistani perspective,” in the final meeting of Consortium of South Asian Think Tanks (COSATT)-a joint project of Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies (IPCS), New Delhi and Konrad Adneure Stifftung (KAS), Colombo, Sri Lanka, December 14-16, 2009
- Participated and presented draft paper on “Pakistan, Iran and Afghanistan Border security: Issues and Challenges, in Near East and South Asia (NESA), Regional Network of Strategic Studies Centres (RNSSC), Plenary Session and Working Group on Weapons of Mass Destruction and Border Security, New Delhi, 21-23 November, 2009
- Participated and presented a paper on Pakistan-Nepal Relations: Socio-cultural dimensions, in Seminar on Pakistan-Nepal Relations: Perspectives and Prospects, Organized by Association of Friends of Nepal Forum and Foreign Service Training Academy, Islamabad, 18 August, 2009, Islamabad
- Participated in International Conference on Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) and Border Security, jointly organized by National Defence University of Pakistan, Islamabad and National Defence University of the United States, Washington, under their project for Near East and South Asia (NESA), 21-23 June, 2009, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Participated in 23rd Asia-Pacific Roundtable on “Strengthening Comprehensive and Cooperative Security in the Asia-Pacific,” Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1-4 June 2009. Paper presented on “New Era of Peace: Opportunities for Advancement in the Middle East and South Asia.”
- Participated in IPRI-RUSI International Conference on “Security Issues in South Asia, Bahrain24-25 March 2009. Made presentation on “Pakistan’s Perspective on Security in the AfPak region.”
- Participated in International Conference on “Preparing a Comprehensive Counter-Terrorism Strategy for the SAARC,” organized by Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies (IPCS), New Delhi and Konrad Adneur Stiftung (KAS), Katmandu, Nepal, January 29-30, 2009
- Participated in International Conference on “Strengthening links between the Members and Observer States of SCO”, Chinese Institute of Contemporary International Studies (CICIS), Beijing, May, 2008
- Participated in Pagwash International Conference on Kashmir and Afghanistan, 29-30 March 2008, Islamabad
- Participant in Authors Conference (Final) on USIP Project on ‘Making Borders Irrelevant in Kashmir,’ Colombo, 21-24 November 2007
- Participant in Authors Conference (Preliminary) on USIP Project on ‘Making Borders Irrelevant in Kashmir,’ New Delhi, 25-27 October 2007.
(Conducted research survey to assess popular perceptions and views on the ideas of soft borders or making borders irrelevant in Kashmir in three districts of Azad Kashmir (September-October 2007)
- Participant in Senior Policy Seminar-2007, East-West Centre, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 6-8 August 2007.The topic of the presentation was: “Challenges and prospects of peace and security in South Asia-Pakistani perspective.’
- Participant in Roundtable on Provincial Autonomy, organized by Pakistan Institute of Legislative Development And Transparency (PILDAT), Islamabad, 03 July 2007
- Participant in Working Group (WG) on Counter-Terrorism organized under a Joint Project of National Defence University (NDU) of the United States and National Defense Collage (NDC) of Pakistan, Marrakish, Morocco, October 2006
- Participant and presented a paper on Sikh-Muslim Relations in International Seminar on Sikh-Muslim Relations, organized by Pakistan Sikh Gurdawara Parbhandak Committee, Lahore (15 June 2006)
- Resource Person, Regional Workshop on Restructuring of the State and Sustainability of Democracy in South Asia, Organized by Nepal Center for Contemporary Studies (NCC), Katmandu, 16 February-24 February 2006.
- Panelist, East-West Center Regional Conference on “Building South Asian Community”, New Delhi, November 2005. Made presentation on “Pakistani Perspective on Peace Process”.
- Speaker, Workshop on Pak-China Relations, Chinese Institute of Contemporary International Relations (CICIR), Beijing, August 2005, (Presented a paper on “Pakistan-China Bilateral Relations: Current Assessment and Future Prospects,”)
- Speaker, Workshop on Counter-Terrorism, Shanghai Institute of International Studies (SIIS), Shanghai, August, 2005, (presented a paper on “Pakistan-China Cooperation in Counter-Terrorism)”
- Organized and participated in Workshop on Nuclear Proliferation Treaty (NPT), jointly organized by Islamabad Policy Research Institute and Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI), Islamabad, March 2005, (presented a paper on CTBT)
- Paper Presenter, Workshop on Kashmir: New Voices New Perspectives, organized by International Peace Academy, New York and Department of Defence and Strategic Studies, University of Singapore, Singapore, January 2005, (presented a paper on “ Kashmir Study Group Proposal; Prospects of Implementation,”
- Paper Presenter, Regional Workshop on United States-Asia Relations, Organized by Asia Foundation, Dhaka, February 2004, (presented a paper on “Pakistan-US Security Relations”)
- Participated in International Conference of Social Scientists, New Delhi, July 2001, Organized by Indian Social Council. Presented a paper on “Pak-India Relations: New Perspectives,”
- Conflict and Cooperation in South Asia: International Conference organized by Islamabad Policy Research Institute, Islamabad, December 9-10, 2003, Prepared the Seminar Report
- Emerging Geo-strategic Trends and Options for the Developing Countries, International Conference organized by Area Study Center for Europe, Karachi University, Karachi, September 16-17, 2003.
- Presented a Paper on “American Unilateralism and European Colonialism: A Comparative StudyParticipated in South Asian Conference of Social Scientists, July 2001, New Delhi (India). The Conference was organized by the Indian Council of Social Sciences as a run up to the Pak India (Agra) Summit, held in July 2001.
- Seminar on’ National Strategy for Poverty Alleviation,” organized by Planning Commission, Government of Pakistan, May ZOO I, Islamabad.
- Participated as UNESCO Consultant in 7 Day Workshop Gender Issues in Reproductive Health, organized by Asian Institute for Development Communication (Aidcom), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, February, 2001.
- Final Workshop on UNESCO Inter Regional Project on Socio Cultural Factors Affecting Demographic Behaviour, Paris, December, 2000.
- Participated in One Day Workshop on “Conjective Water Management: Socio Cultural Issues, organized by International Water Management Institute (IWMI), Lahore, July 2000.
- Participated in National Conference on Population, organized by Population Association of Pakistan, Karachi, October 2000. Presented a paper on Urbanization in Pakistan: A Case Study of Socio Cultural Factors.
- Participated ‘ as a Discussant in 4’h Conference on American Studies in Pakistan, organized by Area Study Center for Africa, North and South America, Q A University, Islamabad, November, 5 6,1999.
- Participated and made a Presentation on The Concept and Methods of Qualitative Research, International Seminar on Socio Cultural Research, Tashkent, Uzbekistan, October 1999.
- UNESCO Sub Regional Conference on,” Socio Cultural Research, “Islamabad, September 13 16, 1999.
- UNESCO One Day Seminar on Socio Cultural Factors Affecting Demographic Behavior,” Lahore, September 10, 1999.
- Participated in 2 Day Seminar on,” Poverty Alleviation”, organized by Planning Commission of Pakistan, Islamabad, April. 1999.
- Participated and presented a Paper on,” Terrorism: A Regional Perspective” in International Seminar on,” Terrorism, Narco Terrorism and Global Peace,” organized by the University of Sindh, Jamshoro, June 2 4, 1999.
- Participated and presented a Paper on, “Colonial Legacy and Political System of Pakistan,” in International Conference Colonialism To Globalization: The Legacy of Vasco de Gamma, organized by Indian Social Institute, New Delhi, February, 1998.
- Participated and presented a Paper on,” Pakistan’s Foreign Policy in the 21st” Century,” held under the auspices of Institute of Regional Studies, Islamabad, December 1997.
- Participated and presented a Paper on,” Democratization and Political Stability,” in National Seminar Democracy and Political Stability, organized by FRIENDS, Lahore, August 1997.
- Participated and Presented a Paper on,”: Canada and South Asia: A Cold War Perspective,” in National Seminar on Canada To day, organized by Area Study Center for Africa, North and South America, Q A University, Islamabad, May, 1996.
- Participated and presented a Paper on,” Pakistan, India and Kashmir,” organized by Quaid e Azarn Chair,Q A University, Islamabad, May, 1996 Institutions affiliated with.
- Participated and presented a paper on, Pakistan’s Relations with Central Asian States,” in National Conference on Pakistan and Central Asia, Organized by Karachi, University, Karachi, June, 1994.
- Participated and presented a Paper on,” The End of Cold War and Democracy in Pakistan.” In South Asian Political Science Conference, Katmandu, Nepal, 1991.
- Participated and presented a Paper on, “Islamic Revolution of Iran: a view from Pakistan, in Seminar on Imam Khomeini and Islamic world, Tehran, June, 1990.
- Participated and presented a Paper on,” Pakistan’s Perceptions of Peace and Security in the Persian Gulf,” in Seminar on Security in the Persian Gulf Area, organized by the Institute of Strategic Studies, Islamabad, 1987.
- Participated and presented a Paper on,” Security in the Persian Gulf,” in Seminar on, Pakistan United States Relations, organized by Area Study Center for Africa, North and South America, Q A University, Islamabad, August, l983.
- Participated and presented a Paper on,’ Pakistan and Regional Cooperation in South Asia,” in Seminar on Regional Cooperation in South Asia; Problems and Prospects, organized by The daily Muslim, Islamabad, April, 1982. Presented a Paper on “Regional Cooperation in South Asia-Pakistan’s Perspective.”
Discussant, participant in Radio/TV Programs on national and international issues/current affairs Regular contributor of articles on national, regional and international issues in the leading (English) dailies of Pakistan. Regular columnist in Dunya newspaper (Urdu), Lahore
List of Publications
- Making Borders Irrelevant in Kashmir with PR Chari, Hasan-Askari Rizvi [et.all], US Institute of Peace (USIP), Washington. A joint project of US Institute of Peace and Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies (IPCS), New Delhi, 2009
- Pakistan’s Policy Towards Arab-Israel Conflict, (Karachi: Royal Book Company, 1995
- Perspectives on Current Affairs, (Lahore: Progressive Publishers, 1994)
- Scramble for the Indian Ocean, (Lahore: Progressive Publishers, 1974)
- “Impact of China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC)
- on People-to-People Contacts”, Minhas Majeed Khan, Ahmad Rashid Malik, Saira Ejaz and Umme Farwa, China-Pakistan Economic Corridor-A Game Changer, (Islamabad: Institute of Strategic Studies, 2016, pp. 14-34
- “Ethno-Nationalist Movements in Europe: Impact on Immigration,” Journal of European Studies, Vol, 31, No,1, January, 2015 Area Study Centre, University of Karachi, Karachi
- “National Integration and Harmony: the role of Political Parties”, Proceedings of the National Conference on “Issues of National Integration and Harmony in Pakistan”, March 17-18, 2014 Department of Peace and Conflict Studies, National Defence University, Islamabad,
- Economic Cooperation among SAARC Countries, Political Constraints, Proceedings of the Conference on “Towards an Asian Century: Future of Economic Cooperation in SAARC Countries, November, 2013
- “Pakistan and China: Cooperation in Counter-Terrorism,” Strategic Studies, Institute of Strategic Studies, Islamabad, Winter 2012-Summer 2013
- “The Role of Observers in SAARC,” IPRI Journal, Volume IX, Number 2, Summer, 2009 Islamabad Policy Research Institute, Islamabad
- “Pakistan-India Peace Process: An Assessment,” IPRI Journal, Vol. IX, Number 1, Winter, 2009, Islamabad Policy Research Institute, Islamabad
- “Pakistan-India Trade: Route to Inter-regional and Intra-regional connectivity,” IPRI, Journal, Summer, 2008, Vol.VIII, Number 2
- “Implementing Kashmir Study Group (KSG) Proposal” IPRI Journal, Vol.VIII, Winter 2008, Number 1, Islamabad Policy Research Institute, Islamabad
- “Pakistan and NATO.” Senate of Pakistan, Report of the Foreign Relations Committee, September 2007
- “Sir Creek: The Origin and Development of the dispute between Pakistan and India” (IPRI Journal, July 2007)
- “Indo-US Nuclear Deal: Implications for the region” IPRI Journal, Vol.VII, Number 1, Winter 2007, Islamabad Policy Research Institute, Islamabad
- “Pakistani Federation: Need for Restructuring,”” Nepali Journal of Contemporary Studies,” Vol.6, No.1, March 2005 Nepali Centre for Contemporary Studies, Katmandu
- “NFC (National Finance Commission of Pakistan) Controversy: A broader perspective,” IPRI Journal, Islamabad Policy Research Institute, Islamabad, Summer 2005
- “FATA (Federally Administered Areas of Pakistan): Political developments since 1947, Proceedings of National Conference on FATA, Organized jointly by IPRI and Hanns Seidel Foundation, Munich Germany, September 2004
- “Comparative Study of the Manifestos of Major Political Parties of Pakistan in Elections 2002”, IPRI Journal, Islamabad Policy Research Institute, Islamabad, Vol. III, Winter 2003, Number I
- “Political Restructuring and Transition to Democracy1999-2002”, IPRI Journal, Vol.III, Spring 2004, Number I, Islamabad Policy Research Institute, Islamabad
- “Socio Cultural Trends and Demographic Behaviour in Pakistan,” in ed. Sabiha Syed, Cultures of Populations: Population Growth and Sustainable Development, (Paris, UNESCO, 2001)
- “Urbanization in Pakistan: the Socio Cultural Context,” in Pakistan’s Population Problems in 21st Century, proceedings of the International Conference on Pakistan’s Population Problems, Karachi, October 24 26, 2000,
- “Colonial Legacy and Political System of Pakistan: Continuation of Colonial, Political, Economic and Other Systems,” Al Syassa: A Journal of Politics, Society and Culture, Department of Political Science, Punjab University, Lahore, Summer 2000.
- “Political Stability and Democracy in Pakistan,” National Development and Security), Quarterly Journal, FRIENDS, Islamabad, November, 1997.
- “Pakistan, India and Kashmir,” Journal of Political Science, Government College, Lahore, Vol. XIX, Summer/Winter, 1996.
- “Pakistan India Trade Relations”, Regional Studies, Institute of Regional Studies, Islamabad, Vol. X111, No. 1, 1995.
- “Pakistan’s Relations With Central Asian Republics: Problems and Prospects, ” BISS, Journal of Bangladesh Institute of International and Strategic Studies, Dhaka, Vi. 15 No. 1, 1994.
- ‘Palestinian Problem and Muslims of South Asia,’ Research Journal, Research Society of Pakistan, Punjab University, Lahore, Vol. XXIX, No. 3, July, 1992.
- “The End of the Cold War and Democracy in Pakistan,” in ed. Baral, Lok Raj, South Asia: Democracy and Road Ahead, (Kathmandu, Political Science Association of Nepal, 1992).
- Libya in the Middle East Strategy,” Journal of Research (Humanities), University of the Punjab, Lahore, Vol. XXV, February, 1992.
- “Pakistan’s Perceptions of Peace and Security in the Persian Gulf,” Strategic Studies, Institute of Strategic Studies, Islamabad, No.2, Winter, 1987.
- “China’s Policy Toward South Asia: A Comparative Perspective,” Regional Studies, Institute of Regional Studies, Islamabad, No. 1, Winter, 1986 87.
- “International Assistance for Afghan Refugees,” Pakistan Horizon, Pakistan Institute of International Affairs, Karachi, No. 1, 1985.
- ‘Pakistan, India and Regional Cooperation in South Asia”, Pakistan Horizon, Pakistan Institute of International Affairs, Karachi, No. 3, 1983.
- “Security in the Persian Gulf’, Khan, Rais Ahmad, ed., Pakistan United States Relations, (Islamabad, Area Study Center for Africa, North and South America, Quaid-I Azam University, Islamabad (1983).
- “India’s Indian Ocean Policy: Origin and Development,” Strategic Studies, Institute of Strategic Studies, Islamabad, No. 4, Summer, 1983.
- “Strategic Role of the Indian Ocean During the Second World War,” Pakistan Horizon, Pakistan Institute of International Affairs, Karachi, No. 2, 1982.
- “lqbal, Pakistan and Islamic Solidarity,” (Urdu), ed, Tabassam Kashmiri, Iqbal: Concept of Nationality and Pakistan,” (Lahore, Maktiba Aalia, 1977).
- “Problem of Nagaland,” Seminar Papers, Center for South Asian studies, Punjab University, Lahore, 1975.
- Scramble for the Indian Ocean, (Lahore, Progressive Publishers, 1974).
- “Strategy in the Indian Ocean,” Pakistan Horizon, Pakistan Institute of International Affairs, Karachi, 1965.
- “South Asian security: continuity and transformation,’ a chapter for a book on: South Asian security issues, to be published by Strategic Vision Institute, Islamabad.
- Crisis in the Middle East-strategic dimension, commissioned by National Defence University (NDU), Islamabad for Special Issue of Margalla Papers
- Migration, urbanization and security-A case study of Karachi, a paper to be presented at next Population Association of Pakistan (PAP) Conference in Lahore, December, 2017
Main Areas of Interest
Government and Politics in Pakistan ( Political and Constitutional Development, Governance, Centre-Province Relations, Political Parties, Water Issue), Political Systems of South Asian Countries, Peace Research, Pakistan-India Peace Process, Defense and security issues (Indian Ocean, Persian Gulf Middle East and Central Asia), Population, socio-cultural research, Research Methodology, Local Government, environmental issues, Gender issues and Reproductive Health