- To understand basic fundamentals and elements of an optical fiber transmission link, fiber modes, configurations and structures.
- To learn about the different kinds of losses, distortion and degradation undergone by the signals while passing through optical wave guides.
- To understand the working, the materials use, the structures and the efficiencies of light sources including LEDs and LASERs.
- To learn about fiber optic detectors e.g Photodiodes, PIN diodes and APDs. Details of performance criteria noise immunity, operation and configuration of optical receivers.
- To understand topologies, components and aspects of fiber optical networking. FDDI, SONET/SDH, wavelength division multiplexing and link budgeting.
1. Fiber Optic Communications, Fifth edition, Joseph C. Palais, Pearson Education-2008
- Fiber Optic Communications, Harold Kolimbiris, Pearson Education-2007
- Optical Fiber Communications. Principles and Practice By Jhon M. Senior
- Fiber-optic Communications Technology by Djafar K. Mynbaev.