The intent of legislature and the ends of law is something of fundamental importance in application of law. This course will be elaborating the fundamental rules of interpretation, the rules of construction, etc. It will also include a discussion on the prospective and retrospective effect of a statute-x. The course will also include the general principles of interpretation as laid down in the General Clauses Act 1897.
- Crawford, Earl T. The Construction of Statutes. Karachi: Pakistan Law House, 1998.
- Rao, M. N. and Dhanda, Amita. Bindvas Interpretation of Statutes, 10th edn. New Delhi: LexisNexis, 2007.
- Sarathi, Vepa. Interpretation of Statutes, 4th edn. Lucknow: Eastern Book, 2003.
- The General Clauses Act, 1897 with commentary.
5. Zafar, S. M. Understanding Statutes: Canons of Construction, 3rd edn. Lahore: PLD, 2008.