This will be an introductory course for newly admitted students about the nature and sources of law, both Western and Islamic. It will cover definitions, functions and purposes of law, territorial nature of law, legal concepts of rights, property, persons etc.
- Denning, Lord. The Discipline of Law. London: Butterworths, 1979.
- Dworkin, Ronald. Taking Rights Seriously. London: Duckworth, 1977.
- Fuller, Lon L. The Morality of Law, (re.). Delhi: Universal, 2009. (5th I rpt.).
- Harris, Phil, An Introduction to Law, 7th edn. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007.
- Hart, H L A, The Concept of Law, 2nd edn. Oxford: OUP, 1997.
- Posner Richard A. Overcoming Law. Delhi: Universal, 2007 (I.rpt.).