This course aims to give students a good knowledge of the Pakistani Legal System. It covers the historical background of the legal system, the role of the legislature and the court system in Pakistan. The composition and functions of the Parliament and the Provincial assemblies, the judicial system of Pakistan including the court structure and the judicial process. Concepts such as statutory interpretation and judicial precedent are covered together with Civil and Criminal processes.
1. Karim, (R) Justice Fazal. Access to Justice in Pakistan. Karachi: Pakistan Law House, 2003.
2. Lau, Martin. The Role of Islam in the Legal System of Pakistan. London,: Martinus Nijhoff, 2005.
3. Mannan, M. A. The Superior Courts of Pakistan. Lahore: Zafar Law, 1973.
4. Rizvi, Shabbar Raza. Constitutional Law of Pakistan, 2nd re. edn. Lahore: Vanguard Books, 2005.
5. Shah, Justice (R) Nasim, Hassan. Essays and Addresses on Constitution, Law and Pakistan Legal System. Lahore: Research Society of Pakistan, 1999.
6. The Legal Practitioners and Bar Councils Act, 1973 with Rules.