Dr. Ali Nasir is an HEC approved PhD supervisor. He has obtained his PhD along with M.Sc. degrees in Electrical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering from the University of Michigan Ann Arbor in USA. He received his B.Sc. in Electrical Engineering from University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila. He is the recipient of Fulbright scholarship for MS leading to PhD. He is currently working on distributed control of multi-agent systems and human intent prediction. His research interests also include Approximate Dynamic programming, fault tolerant control, and nonlinear control and estimation. Dr Ali Nasir has been working as assistant professor at UCP for 3 years. He has work experience of 12 years (Post PhD Experience: 5 years)
- Linear System Theory (M.Sc.)
- Linear Control Systems
- Non-Linear System
- Control (M.Sc.)
- Digital Control System
- Optimal Control for Multiagent Building Energy Management Systems
Students: Madiha Latif
Description: This project focuses on the multiagent based solution of the building energy management system. Specifically, the problem involves the control of temperature and air quality in the building given that the probability distribution of the people entering or leaving the building is known. This leads to a distributed stochastic control problem that we attempt to solve using stochastic dynamic programming based approach.
- Stochastic Control for Maximum Power Point Tracking of Photovoltaic Energy Systems
Collaborators: Dr. Ali Faisal Murtaza
Students: Bushra Iqbal
Description: Given a photovoltaic (PV) array along with power converter, it is required to design an optimal control policy for MPPT under uncertainties involved in partial shading, temperature and irradiance. MPPT shall be achieved by an optimal control policy that is to be developed using the statistical information about the changes in partial shading, irradiance, and temperature.
- Life Cycle Assessment and Load Management of Lead-acid Batteries
Collaborators: Dr. Sarwar Ehsan
Description: Main objective of this project is to carry out an assessment of the life cycle of lead-acid batteries that is consistent with the ISO 14040 series. This assessment involves four phases i.e. goal and scope definition, life cycle inventory, life cycle impact assessment, and interpretation. Secondary objective is to devise ways to efficiently and effectively manage the batteries according to variable load conditions.
- Design and Development of Octocopter and its Flight Control
Collaborators: Dr. Musharraf Hanif, Prof. Faisal Toosy
Description: Objective of this project is to develop an octocopter from basic components such as motors, driving circuitry, microcontroller, and mechanical frame. Once the octocopter is developed, then major task is to develop its flight control that may enable point to point movement and reference trajectory tracking with minimal overshoot and steady state error.
- Optimal Control for Stochastic Model of Epidemic Infections
Collaborators: Dr. Muhammad Rafique
Students: Huma Rehman
Description: Goal of this Project is to develop optimal control policy that can answer the questions such as: when to use vaccination, when to treat the infected individuals, when to use quarantine for preventing the spread of the infection etc. For this purpose, the dynamic model of the epidemic infection has been used for analysis and design of the optimal control policy.
List of Publications
- A. Nasir and H. Rehman, “Optimal control for stochastic model of epidemic infections,” 2017 14th International Bhurban Conference on Applied Sciences and Technology (IBCAST), Islamabad, Pakistan, 2017, pp. 278-284. doi: 10.1109/IBCAST.2017.7868065
- R. Gillani and A. Nasir, “Incorporating artificial intelligence in shopping assistance robot using Markov Decision Process,” 2016 International Conference on Intelligent Systems Engineering (ICISE), Islamabad, Pakistan, 2016, pp. 94-99. doi:10.1109/INTELSE.2016.7475168
- R. Gillani and A. Nasir, “Conversion of MDP problems into heuristics based planning problems using temporal decomposition,” 2016 13th International Bhurban Conference on Applied Sciences and Technology (IBCAST), Islamabad, 2016, pp. 179-184.
- Nasir, A. and Atkins, E.M. “Fault tolerance for Spacecraft Attitude Management,” AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Toronto, Ontario, Aug. 2-5, 2010 (AIAA-2010-8301).
- Nasir, A. Atkins, E.M. Kolmanovsky, I.V. “Science Optimal Spacecraft Attitude Maneuvering While Accounting for the Failure Mode”. 18th IFAC World Congress. Milano, Italy. August 29th to September 2nd 2011.
- Nasir, A., Atkins, E.M., and Kolmanovsky, I.V. “Conflict Resolution Algorithms for Fault Detection and Diagnosis” AIAA Infotech@Aerospace Conference, St. Louis, Missouri, March. 29-31, 2011 (AIAA-2011-1587).
- Nasir, A., Atkins, E.M., and Kolmanovsky, I.V. “Conflict Resolution and Collaborative Fault Detection” IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, Montana, March. 02-10, 2012.
- Nasir, A., Atkins, E.M., and Kolmanovsky, I.V. “A Mission based Fault Reconfiguration Framework for Spaceraft Applications” AIAA Infotech@Aerospace Conference, Garden Grove, California, June. 19-21, 2012.
- Mcghan C.L.R., Nasir, A., and Atkins, E.M. “Human Intent Prediction Using Markov Decision Processes” AIAA Infotech@Aerospace Conference, Garden Grove, California, June. 19-21, 2012.
- J. Khalid, A. Nasir, U. Shami, A. Baig, “Using Denoising Autoencoders to Predict Behavior of an Inverted Pendulum on a Cart System”, Technical Journal UET Taxila, Vol 22, Issue 1, 2017 pp 30-40
- Ali Manzoor, Sajid Rafique, M. Usman Iftikhar, Khalid Mahmood Ul Hassan, and Ali Nasir “Study of PVEH with Nonlinear Conditioning Circuit using an Integrated Model” International Journal of Electronics Vol. 0 , Iss. ja,0
- A. Nasir, Y. Salam, and Y. Saleem, “Multi-Level Decision Making in Hierarchical Multi-agent Robotic Search Teams” IET Journal of Engineering (volume, issue, and page numbers not yet available) doi: 10.1049/joe.2016.0076
- Nasir, A., Atkins, E.M., and Kolmanovsky, I.V. “A Mission based Fault Reconfiguration Framework for Spaceraft Applications” Journal of Aerospace Information Systems, Vol. 10, No. 11, November 2013, pp 512-515.
- Catharine L. R. McGhan, Ali Nasir, and Ella M. Atkins. “Human Intent Prediction Using Markov Decision Processes”, Journal of Aerospace Information Systems, Vol. 12, No. 5 (May 2015), pp. 393-397. doi: 10.2514/1.I010090
University of Central Punjab Faculty of Electrical Engineering