Dr Asim Karim completed PhD from Government College Lahore, 2012 in English Literature. He is also HEC accredited PhD supervisor. He has at his credit supervision of PhD and MPhil dissertations. He has also published in national and International journal. His areas of teaching and research interest are: American Drama, American Fiction, Literature and Religion, Post colonialism and Literature, Literature and Multiculturalism, Comparative literature, Literary Theory and south Asian Literature. Currently he is working on a Monograph titled Problems of Identity in the Contemporary Pakistani Diaspora Fiction. He is a dynamic, individual with excellent team working and communication skills.
Believing truly in the fact that we are all lifelong learner, Dr Asim is passionate about teaching and research with a strong desire to foster a cohesive students learning atmosphere. His main goal is to help students become independent critical thinkers, capable of approaching and solving problems on their own. He also believes in leadership role of a teacher in mentoring the students’ whole personality with collective as well as individual attention.
- Literary Theory
- South Asian Literature in English
- Language, Gender and Identity
July 2003- to-Sept 2015 Assistant Professor
Department of English Language Literature, Gomal University, DIkhan
April 1994-July 2003 Lecturer
Department of English, Gomal University, DIKhan
October 1991-April 1994 Lecturer
Govt. College kulachi, DIKhan
January 1991-October 1991 Lecturer
Department of English, Gomal University, DIKhan
2012 (January) PhD (English Literature) GC University Lahore, Pakistan (First to obtain Doctoral honor in Literature from GCU)
2010 Certificate in Teaching English to Young learners, University of Maryland, Baltimore UMBC. USA
2006 M.Phil. GC University Lahore
1991 MA (English Lit). GU DIKhan (with Distinction: First position).
1988 BA. GU DIKhan
1986 FSc. Govt College DIKhan
1984 SSC. Wensam College DIKhan
- American Drama
- American Fiction
- Literature and Religion
- Literature and Multiculturalism
- Comparative literature
- Literary Theory
- Pakistani fiction in English
PhD COURSES TAUGHT
- Critical Theory
- Critical Discourse Analysis
M.PHIL COURSES TAUGHT
- Shakespearean Studies
- Literary Theory and Criticism
- American Literature
- A Critical survey of English Literature
COURSES TAUGHT AT MASTER LEVEL
- American Literature
- Postcolonial studies
- Classics in Drama: Greeks, English and Scandinavian, Shakespeare: Tragedy, Comedy and history plays
- English Prose: Bacon, Milton, Swift, Strachey, Russell , Lamb, Hazlitt
- Literary Criticism: Aristotle, Longinus, Johnson, Arnold, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Arnold, Eliot
- Classics in Poetry: Chaucer, Milton, Pope, Dryden, Donne
- Classics in Fiction: Fielding, Hardy, Bronte, Dickens,
- Modern English Novel: E.M Forster, Lawrence, Virginia Woolf,
- Romantic Aestheticism: Wordsworth, Keats, Shelley, Coleridge
- Served as Head of English Department Gomal University.
- Served as Director PhD Program, Dept. of English, UMT, Lahore
- Served as HOD English Imperial College of Business studies, Lahore
- Served as HOD English, UOL, Lahore
Contract Faculty Position
- Associate Professor, English, Dept. of English, University of Management and Technology From Jan. 2013-August 2014
- HOD English, Imperial College of Business studies, from August 2014 to Oct 2015
VISITING FACULTY POSITION
- Kinnaird, Lahore
Selected HEC EVALUATOR for Evaluating Quality Standard of Affiliated Colleges of KPK province under World Bank DL1-4 Project:
- Inspected /Evaluated Govt Post graduate College (M) Kohat on 27/11/12
- Inspected /Evaluated Govt Post graduate College Lakki on 29/1112
- Inspected /Evaluated Govt. Post graduate College BANNUE on 3/12/12
- Inspected /Evaluated Govt Post graduate College KARAK on 5/11/12
- Inspected /Evaluated Govt Post graduate College (W) KOHAT on 6/12/12
- Inspected /Evaluated Govt College No 1 DIkhan on 7/11/12
RESEARCH SUPERVISION EXPERIENCE
- PhD Research Supervision Completed: 1
|Title of PhD Research Supervised||Year||Status|
|1. Deconstructing the discourse of Pessimism in the Plays of Tennessee Williams||2014||COMPLETED|
- PhD Supervision in Process : 1
|1. Crossing the Borders: Transgressive Boundaries in the World on VS Naipaul.||2015||Thesis Submitted for External Examination|
- Phil. Supervision Completed: 12
- IN Progress: 10
|1. Stylistic Analysis of Loss and Multiculturalism in TS Eliot’s selected Poetry||2014||COMPLETED|
|2.Post structural Analysis of Gender in Othello and Mid- Summer Night Dream||2014||COMPLETED|
|3. Bakhtinian Dialogism: Implications for Languages and Cultures||2014||COMPLETED|
|4. English for Occupational Purposes: Impact on COAOS(Coordination, Operating and Administrative Officers & Staff) of COMSATS, Lahore Campus||2014||COMPLETED|
|5. Evaluation of Intelligibility debate from The perspective of Pakistani English Language Practitioners||2013||COMPLETED|
|6. Strategies for Improving English language Learning Skill : A case Study of District Bannue||2013||COMPLETED|
|7. LINGUISTICS AND LITERACY IMPLICATIONS OF COMPUTER MEDIATED COMMUNICATION FOR ENGLISH MAJOR STUDENS||2014||COMPLETED|
|8. The stylistic analysis and Comparison of the Protagonists in Don Quixote and Sorrowes of Werther||2014||COMPLETED|
|9.Jungian Analysis of Arthur Miller’s Death of a Salesman||2015||COMPLETED|
|10.Deconstructive Analysis of Plath’s Poetry||2015||COMPLETED|
|11.Intertextual Analysis of T. S. Eliot’s The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock and The Waste Land||2016||COMPLETED|
|12.Phenomenological Analysis of the Supernaturalism in the Selected Plays of Edward Albee||2015||COMPLETED|
|13.Comparative analysis of Poetic Technique of Frost and Dickinson’s Poetry||2015||COMPLETED|
|14.Gender Indeterminacy in Dickinson’s Poetry||2016||In progress|
|15.Self in Dickinson’s Poetry: Jungian Perspectives||2016||COMPLETED|
|16.Mothers in Roy’s The God of Small Things||2016||In progress|
|17.Ajoka Theater: Presenter of Liberal Humanist Values||2016||COMPLETED|
|18.Myth of Feminism: A Comparative study of Margret Atwood ‘s Surfacing and Jean Rhys’s Wide Saragossa Sea||2016||COMPLETED|
|19.Postmodern Analysis of Supernaturalism in O’Neill’s Selected Plays||2016||In progress|
|21.Foregrounded Irregularities in Perveen Shakir’s Selected Poems||2016||COMPLETED|
Served as an external Examiner of M.Phil Research of:
- Lahore College for Women University Lahore
- Qurtaba University DIkhan
- Attended Three Week Professional Development Workshop at University of Maryland Baltimore County USA from July 24 to August 14, 2010
- Attended 2 days’ workshop on scholarly publishing at NUML Lahore on July, 3 & 4, 2014.
- Organized First ever Art Exhibition in Gomal University Dera Ismail Khan, 2003
- Organized National Conference of Language, Literature and Culture at ICBs, Lahore in 2015
- Member Organization Committee of International Conference on Education and Social Sciences , jointly Organized by UOL and Skoto State University Nigeria 2016
- Presentation in International conference on E Teacher professional Development. August 11, 2010. UMBC, USA
- KARIM, ASIM. 2014. MULTICULTURALISM, DIALOGISM AND Intertextuality: Critique, exposition and Application. In First international Conference of Language and Literature on Modern and Contemporary language, Literature and Culture, April 14-16, 2014. Organized by Dept. of English GCU, Lahore Pakistan.
- Karim, Asim. April 15, 2015. Postcolonial Text, Colonial discourse: Analysis of Nadeem Aslam’s the Wasted Vigil. National Conference on Language, Literature and Culture, April 15-16, 2015. Organized by Department of English language and Literature, ICBS, Lahore Pakistan.
- Karim, Asim and Humaira Kalsoom. 2015. Naipaul travelogue and his Monologic perceptions about Islam and the Non-Arab Muslim world. National Conference on Language, Literature and Culture, April 15-16, 2015. Organized by Department of English language and Literature, ICBS, Lahore Pakistan.
- Karim, Asim. Feb 2016. Body, Power and transgression in Arundhati Roy’s The God Of small things. International Collaborative Conference on Education and Social sciences. Organized by UOL and Skoto State University Nigeria at UOL, Feb 26-28, 2016
- Participated in Conference on social sciences Organized by Lahore School of Economics (LSE) on April 4, 2014.
- Attended SYMPOSIUM. Humanities in English: Literature, language, linguistics and Criticism. Organized by Dept. of English. FCC College and University, Lahore on April 17, 2014.
- Participated in CONVERSATIONW WITH GAYATRI CHAKRAVARTY SPIVAK. Oct 29, 2014. FCC College Lahore
- Attended Seminar Lecture on Team Work . Speaker Dr Ali
- Delivered Seminar Lecture on Research and Literature at Lahore Leads University, Lahore Pakistan on 16th April 2014
- Delivered Seminar lecture on Theory and Literature: Multicultural Perspectives at GIFT University, Gujranwala, Pakistan on 23rd May 2014
- Delivered Seminar lecture on DEVELOPING RESEARCH PROPOSAL to MPhil Literature Students at UOL, on 26/11/15
- Delivered Seminar Lecture on THESIS WRITING to MPhil Literature Students at UOL, on 08/12/15
Member KPK Team for Evaluation of Affiliated Colleges of the province.
- Served as a Member Board Faculty Of Arts , Gomal University DIKhan
- Served as a Member Board of Studies English Department Gomal University DIKhan
- Member Board of Study GCWU, Sialkot
- Served as a Member Graduate Committee of Research , School of Social Sciences and humanities UMT, Lahore
- Served as a Member Board Faculty of Arts School of Social Sciences and humanities UMT, Lahore
- Served as a Member Graduate Committee of Research, English Dept. UMT Lahore
- Served as a Member BASAR, UMT, Lahore
- Served as a Member academic Council, UMT, Lahore
- Served as Member Board of studies ICBS, Lahore
- Served as Member/Convener Board of studies, UOL, Lahore
- Served as Member Board of Faculty UOL, Lahore
- Represented Gomal University as member National Curriculum Revision Committee in 2008 to prepare and draft BS English syllabus for all public and private sector Universities and colleges in the country. The drafted syllabus is now in vogue across the country.
- Served as Editor English Section DANNISH (Gomal University Students’ Magazine) in 2003-2004. Organized first ever grand Art Exhibition in the university from the platform of DANNISH magazine in 2003.
- Looking after Gomal University News Letter since 2011.
- On the invitation from the US Consulate Peshawar, I developed an English Language Project for Federally Administered Tribal Areas students of Gomal University in 2008 for financial support from the US State Department. Initially the grant was 50000 USD, but later on it was increased to 100,000 USD. The project helped 100 students of the university develop English language skills. It also brought substantial material/ financial support to the department. It was planned to help department overcome book deficiency, equipment deficiency and support faculty development. From all these perspectives the project was a success story.
- Karim Asim. 2004. Blutbruderschapt in Women in Love. Gomal University Journal of research. Vol 2004.
- Karim, Asim. 2010. Eugene O’Neill’s Concern with Sexuality and Behavioral Disorders, Studies in Language and Literature, Vol 1. No 1. pp 38-49.
- Karim, Asim. 2010. Trauma of Subjective Memory in Strange Interlude and Long Day’s Journey into Night. Asian Social Science. Vol 1, No 9. pp 156-166. .
- Karim, Asim. 2011. O’Neill’s Treatment of Racism in All God’s Chillum and the Emperor Jones. Current Research Journal of Social Sciences. Vol. 3, No 4. pp 334- 341 .
- Karim, Asim and Nasim Riaz Butt. Mothers in Eugene O’Neill’s Strange Interlude and Long Day’s Journey into Night. LiBRi: Linguistic and Literary Broad Research and Innovations. Vol.. 1, No 2. 79-91.
- Karim, Asim and Nasim Riaz Butt. Ethical Crises in O’Neill’s Modern Theatre: Some Dimensions. Arts and Social Science Journal, Vol. 2011: ASSJ 32. Vol 2011. pp. 1-17.
- Karim, Asim and Nasim Riaz Butt. Religion and Human Behavior in Eugene O’Neill’s Plays. Studies in Language and Literature Vol 3. No 1. pp 68-76 .
- Karim, Asim. 2011. O’Neill’s use of Interior Monologue in strange Interlude. LiBRi: Linguistic and Literary Broad Research and Innovations. Vol 2. No 2. pp. 170-176.
- Karim, Asim and NR Butt. 2011. Creativity, Psychoanalysis, and Eugene O’Neill’s Creative Process. K@ta : a Biannual Publication on the Study of Language and Literature Vol 13. No 2. pp 236-248
- Karim, Asim. 2012. Language in O’Neill’s Plays. International Journal of Social Science and Education. Vol 2. Vol 2. pp. 90-95
- Asim Karim, Irshad Ahmad Tabasum and Saman Khalid. 2012. Literature and Morality. International Journal of Social Science and Education. Vol 2. No 2. pp. 188-195
- Karim, Asim. 2012. EFL in Higher Education In Pakistan: Organizational Planning, Practices and Interdisciplinary journal of contemporary research in business. Vol 3. No 9. pp 105-120.
- Karim, Asim. 2012. Global Paradigm Shift in Pedagogy and English Language Teachers’ Development in Pakistan. International Journal of Asian Social Science. 2. No 1pp 64-70.
- Karim, Asim Conflict over Burial of the Dead: Analysis of Sophocles’ Antigone and Robert Frost’s “Home Burial. Academic Research International.
- Tabasum, Irshad Ahmed and Karim, Asim (2013). Ice candy man: Some light at the end of tunnel. Kashmir Journal of language research, Vol. 16 (1). Pp. 196-208.
- Tabasum, Irshad Ahmed and karim, Asim. (2013). Redeemers in Tennessee William’s the Glass Menagerie. Kashmir Journal of language research, Vol. 16 (2). Pp. 98-109.
- Karim, Asim (2013). The Scarlet Letter and Postmodernism 3L: The Southeast Asian Journal of English Language Studies – Vol. 19 (3): 115 – 125. INDEXED IN SCOPUS
- Karim, asim and Zakia Nasir 2014. Multiculturalism and Feminist Concerns in South Asian Fiction . 3L: The Southeast Asian Journal of English Language Studies – Vol. 21 . SCOP
- Humaira Kulsoom and Asim Karim ” Bakhtin’s Dialogic Analytical and Naipaul’s” Crossing the Border” Discourse” JHSS Volume XXII, No.2, 2014(August).Published by University of Peshawa
- Karim, Asim. 2014. Gender performance in Tennessee William’s A streetcar named Desire. Journal of English literature and Linguistic studies, FCC
- Ihsan, Ullah, Asim Karim et al. 2015. Strategies for Improving Writing Skills. Gomal University Journal of research.
042-35880007 Ext: 150
Faculty of English, University of Central Punjab