Dr. Ghulam Saghir is the Assistant Professor at Business School, University of Central Punjab (UCP) where he teaches in the areas of Marketing, Economics, Money, Banking and Finance. Dr. G. Saghir received his PhD in Economics from Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE), Islamabad. His specializations include Monetary Economics, Econometrics, Macroeconomics, and International Economics. Over the past decade, he has taught at graduate and postgraduate levels at various public and private universities. His PhD work is on “Estimating the Optimal Monetary Policy Rule for Pakistan”. At Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE), Dr. Saghir has also been affiliated with many renowned Economists including Professor Dr. Eatzaz Ahmad (Director, Department of Economics at QAU Islamabad), Dr. Nadeem Ul Haque (Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission and Chancellor of PIDE). His academic research has appeared in Pakistan Development Review. He has supervised MPhil and Master’s thesis.
- Financial Econometrics
- Product Pricing Decisions: Concepts and Application
- Financial Economics
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Managerial Economics.
Monetary Policy Issues, Debt, Behavioral Finance, Pricing Strategy
- RESEARCH ASSOCIATE/RESEARCH ANALYSTS at Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE), Islamabad during the period 2008 to 2012.
- Visiting faculty at National University of Modern Languages (NUML), Islamabad, Pakistan ( Spring 2012 to date, courses taught Econometrics I, Econometrics II, International Trade Theory-I, Math-I, Math-II and International Trade Policy-II, International Finance for M.Sc Economics).
- Permanent faculty at GORDON COLLAGE RAWA1PINDI (Sep 2013 to Aug 2014) courses taught Monetary Economics, Monetary Policy, Research Methodology, Applied Economics and Advanced Macroeconomics for BS Economics.
- Assisting in Research and Teaching at Ph.D. and M.Phil levels to Wasim Shahid Malik at Department of Economics, Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad
- Visiting faculty at Pakistan Institute of Applied Sciences in Agriculture (PIASA), Islamabad. ( Spring 2012 course taught Economics of Environment and Natural Resources, Monetary Policy and Fiscal Policies for Mphil-PhD Classes).
- Visiting faculty at Allama Iqbal Open University Islamabad. (Fall 2012 course taught Business Economics and International Finance for MBA).
- Visiting faculty at Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE), Islamabad, Pakistan ( Fall 2011 course taught Macroeconomics for M.Sc Economics)
- Visiting faculty at Federal Urdu University of Arts, Sciences and Technology, Islamabad. ( Fall 2010 course taught Monetary Theory and Monetary Policy).
- Visiting faculty at university of Azad and Jamo Kashmir (UAJK), (Fall 2008 courses taught International Economics and International Finance).
- Resource person for NARC, Islamabad course on Econometrics and International Trade Theory” for researchers and practitioners
- Taught MSc-Economics courses at The Services Academy, Lahore.
Research Work (Articles in Journals):,
- “New Keynesian Phillips Curve for Pakistan” The Pakistan Development Review No 4, 2008.
- “Price Setting Behavior of Pakistani Firms: Evidence from Four Industrial Cities of Punjab” The Pakistan Development Review, Vol 47, No 3. Pp 247-66.
- New Keynesian Phillips Curve for Pakistan” Working paper, PIDE, 2008.
- Price Setting Behavior of Pakistani Firms: A Case Study of Four Industrial Cities of Punjab (Faisalabad, Gujarat, Gujranwala and Sialkot), Working Paper 65, PIDE, 2010
Research Work (Under Review in Journals):
- Saghir G. and Malik Wasim (2011) “Coordination Between Monetary and Fiscal Policies? A Case Study of Pakistan” Defense and Peace Economics
- Saghir G. and Malik Wasim. (2011) “Issues in the Design of Monetary Policy Rules in Pakistan” Defense and Peace Economics
- Completed a projected titled “Price Setting Behavior of Pakistani Firms: A Case Study of Four Industrial Cities of Punjab”, Faisalabad, Gujarat, Gujranwala and Sialkot, (funded by Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE).
Research Assistant& Teacher Assistant:
- Assisted Dr. Rashid Amjad, VC PIDE, in research work and worked on his book on Pakistan Economy.
- Assisted as teacher assistant in the courses of Advanced Microeconomics, Advanced Macroeconomics, Econometric Methods-I, Monetary Economics, Monetary Policy, and Time Series Econometrics at Ph.D. level at Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE).
I want to support and promote development activities. I like working hard, growth and learning definitely through a dynamic and prestigious institution by offering my services in a best manner to bring some positive change in the existing system if needed.
- Eight weeks Ph.D. “Refresher Course” from Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE), July-August 2004.
- Two weeks training course on “Technology and Innovation Policy” (19-30 August, 2007) at COMSTEC, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Two Days Training workshop on “Financial Derivative and Pakistan’s Market”, at PIDE, 23-24 November, 2007.
- Three Days “Poverty Impact Evaluation” training workshop by World Bank at PIDE, 3-5 June, 2008.
- Two weeks training course on “Technology and Innovation Policy” (19-30 April, 2010) at COMSTEC, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Three Days “Workshop on Software for Economics Research” (3-5 September, 2012) at School of Economics, Quaid -i-Azam University Islamabad.
- Five Days “Workshop on Software for Economics Research” (August, 2014) at School of Economics, Quaid -i-Azam University Islamabad.
Member, Pakistan Society of Development Economists (PSDE) of Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE).
Faculty Of UCP Business School, University of Central Punjab