Dr. Javaid Iqbal
Assistant Professor, HOD Biotechnology
Dr. Javed Iqbal completed his PhD Biotechnology from National Institute for Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering (NIBGE) and conducted part of PhD research at CGIAR, USDA and IRRI, Philippines. His research focusses on Quantitative Genetics, Genome Mapping, Association Mapping, DNA Typing and development of DNA based markers associated with different phenotypes of interest. During foreign trainings, he experienced Next Generation Sequencing Technology and applications of Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs) for genome mapping in cereals. His current assignments include the development and exploring the potential of DNA based markers systems for population genetics and genome mapping studies. He has supervised 16 MS and 9 M.Sc. research theses and published 21 international publications and 22 international abstracts/proceedings. He has participated in various National and International conferences/seminars both as keynote speaker as well as organizer. His research expertise are Quantitative genetics, QTL mapping, Association mapping, DNA fingerprinting and Agricultural Biotechnology.
- Environmental Biotechnology
- Agricultural Biotechnology
- Applied GMO Technology
- Microbial Biotechnology
- Fundamentals of Microbiology
- Advanced Techniques in Microbiology
- PhD (Biotechnology) 2013. NIBGE, PIEAS, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- M.Sc (Hons) Agriculture Plant Breeding & Genetics 2007. Univ. of Agriculture Faisalabad. Pakistan.
- B.Sc (Hons) Agriculture Plant Breeding & Genetics, 2005 Univ. of Agriculture FaisalabadPakistan.
- F.SC Pre-Medical Multan Board 2001
- High-School (Matric) Lahore Board 1988
- “Assistant Professor”Faculty of Life Sciences (FLS), University of Central Punjab 01-02-2016 to Present
- “Assistant Professor”at Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (IMBB), The University of Lahore 25-09-2014 to 31-01-2016
- “Assistant Professor” at Centre for Applied Molecular Biology (CAMB), Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of Pakistan (24-09-2013 to 24-09-2014).
Experience in Techniques
- Molecular Plant Breeding (MAS, MAB, Gene Pyramiding)
- Genetic Mapping (QTL mapping & Association mapping)
- DNA Fingerprinting
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
- PAGE (Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis)
- HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography)
- Mass Spectrometry (operational training)
- RVA (Rapid Visco Analyzer), for starch pasting properties
Awards and Administrative Assignments
- Patron in Chief “Society of Life Sciences” University of Central Punjab
- Member Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC), UCP
- Member GRE Committee for MS & PhD Admissions at UCP
- Member Board of Studies UCP for MS Curriculum Development
- Director Student’s Affairs, Faculty of Life Sciences, UCP
- HEC Approved PhD Supervisor
- Member “International Network for Quality Rice (INQR), IRRI, Philippines
- PhD Indigenous Scholarship by Higher Education Commission (HEC) Pakistan in PhD
- International Research Support Initiative Program (IRSIP) Scholarship by Higher Education
- Commission (HEC) of Pakistan during PhD
- Organized one day “Hands on Training Workshop on Laboratory Biosafety” on 12-05-2017 at University of Central Punjab in Collaboration with American Society for Microbiology. Also Received Shield of Appreciation.
- Three day Training Course on “Laboratory Quality Management” organized by National Institute for Health (NIH), 09-08-2016 to 11-08-2016.
- One day Symposium “Recent Trends in Life Sciences” Organized by Faculty of Life Sciences, UCP (13-05-2016).
- One day workshop on “Genotyping by Sequencing (GBS) an Overview in Crop Improvement” held at NIBGE, Faisalabad on 07, 02, 2013 (Also delivered one lecture).
- One day workshop on “Varietal Purity Testing through DNA Markers” May, 04 2011, held at NIBGE, Faisalabad.
- Green Super Rice (GSR) Hybrid Rice Seed Production Training Course, October 12-13, 2009, held at NIBGE, Faisalabad.
|Project Title||Role||Funding Agency||Status|
|1- Establishment and optimization of DNA fingerprinting protocols for crop varietal purity testing through DNA markers||PI||Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC)||Ongoing|
|2- Biosafety studies for transgenic potato varieties||Co-PI||HEC||Ongoing|
- Shahzad MS, Cengiz S, Iqbal J, Arif A, Wattoo JI, et al. (2016). Forensic Soil Analysis of Gardens from Pakistan and Turkey for Genetic Analysis and Elemental Composition using ICP-MS. Forensic Res Criminol Int J 3 (2): 00092. DOI: 10.15406/frcij.2016.03.00092
- Wattoo JI, Saleem MZ, Shahzad MS, Arif A, Hameed A, Saleem MA (2016). DNA Barcoding: Amplification and sequence analysis of rbcl and matK genome regions in three divergent plant species. Adv. Life Sci. 4(1): 03- 07.
- Iqbal M, Hafeez MN, Watto JI, Ali A, Sharif MN, Rashid B, Tabassum B and Nasir IA (2016) Prediction of host-derived miRNAs with the potential to target PVY in potato plants. Frontiers Genetics 7:159. doi:10.3389/fgene.2016.00159
- Shahid M.N., Jamal A., Aftab B., Muhammad B.B., Wattoo J.I., Kiani M.S., Rashid B Husnain T. Identification, characterization and expression profiling of salt-stress tolerant proton gradient regulator 5 (PGR5) in Gossypium arboretum. Turkish Journal of Biology (2016) 40: 889-898 Impact factor = 1.4
- Shahzad MS, Bajwa JI, Wattoo JI, Saleem MA. Association patterns of volatile metabolites in urinary excretions among Type-2 Non-Insulin dependent diabetes patients (2016). Adv. Life Sci. 3 (3): 71-74
- Wattoo, J.I.,S. Iqbal, M. Arif, Z. Saleem, M.N. Shahid and M. Iqbal, 2015. Homology modeling, functional annotation and comparative genome analysis of GBSS enzyme in rice and maize genomes. Int. J. Agric. Biol., 17: 1061-1065. Impact factor = 0.9
- Calingacion M, Laborte A, Nelson A, Resurrection A, Mumm R, Conception J C, Daygon V D, Reinke R, Wattoo J I, et al. (2014). Diversity of Global Rice Markets and the Science Required for Consumer-Targeted Rice Breeding. PLoS ONE 9 (1): e85106. Impact factor = 3.8
- Samiullah, Khan F.A, Abdullah, Afzal A, Javed M.A, Iqbal Z, Iftakhar R and Wattoo J.I (2012) In vitro regeneration, detection of somaclonal variation and screening for mosaic virus in sugarcane (Saccharum spp.) somaclones. International Journal of the Physical Sciences Vol. 11(48), pp. 10841-10850, 14 June, 2012.
- Wattoo J.I, Aslam, S. M. Shah,G. Shabir, M. Sabar, S. A. Naveed, R. Waheed, Samiullah, Q. H. Muqaddasi and M. Arif. (2012) Ethyl Methane Sulphonate (EMS) induced mutagenic attempts to create genetic variability in Basmati rice. Journal of Plant Breeding and Crop Science Vol. 4 (7).
- Wattoo I, Abdus Salam Khan, Zulfiqar Ali, Muhammad Babar, Muhammad Naeem, Muhammad Aman Ullah and Nazim Hussain. Study of correlation among yield related traits and path coefficient analysis in rice (Oryza sativa L.). African Journal of Biotechnology, 9 (46) 7853-7856, 15 November 2010.
- Wattoo J. I, Calingacion M, Cueva R.P, M. A Fitzgerald and M. Arif. Genetic structure and association mapping studies for starch chain lengths distribution in rice (Oryza sativa ) (Submitted/ under review).
- Wattoo J. I, S. M. Shah, G. Shabir, N Iqbal, M. J Thomason, M. A Fitzgerald and M. Arif. Genetic basis of RVA properties, amylose content and protein content in segregating rice population revealed by genome-wide SNPs (Submitted/under review).
- Wattoo J. I, Saleem Z and Iqbal M. Amplification and sequence analysis of rbcl and matk regions in three plant species; a step towards DNA barcoding of indigenous plants (Submitted/under review).
Khan J.I, Brig. D.I Khan., Shahzad M.S., Rakha A., Wattoo J.I and Hussain H (2016). Forensic Biology. 1st Edition: National Book Foundation of Pakistan.
Articles in Business Journals
Dr. Javed Iqbal Wattoo, Zuhair Husnain and Dr. Muhammad Arif (2013). Genome based breeding strategies for rice improvement. Rice Magazine: December, 2013. Vol.5, Issue 9.
Dr. Javed Iqbal Wattoo (2011). “Rice Status in Pakistan” August, 2011. International Network for Quality Rice (INQR). http://inqr.groupsite.com/main/summary.
- Genome based breeding approaches; an emerging paradigm for crop improvement. 20-09-2014. Institute of Agricultural Sciences (IAGS), University of Punjab, Lahore
- One day workshop on “Genotyping by sequencing (GBS) an overview in crop improvement” held at NIBGE, Faisalabad on 07, 02, 2013. “Potential of Genome Mapping studies for Crop Improvement”
Papers Published as Abstracts in International Conferences
- Shahzad MS, Arif A, Iqbal J, Wattoo JI, Khan A and Saleem MA (2017). Hypertension: Contribution of Genetic and Environmental Factors. International Congress of Zoological Society of Pakistan; Feb, 28 to March, 2 (2017), Faisalabad, Pakistan.
- Komal I, Baig S, Khalid S, Majeed T, Saleem MA and Javed Iqbal Wattoo (2017). Biomining approaches and role of microbial consortia in bioleaching of commercial metals. International congress of Zoological Society of Pakistan; Feb, 28 to March, 2 (2017), Faisalabad, Pakistan.
- Shahjahan Baig, Mushtaq Ahmad Saleem and Javed Iqbal Wattoo (2016). Knowledge based monitoring (KB) and control scheme of a fermentation process. 4th International Conference on Biological and computer Sciences, December 17 2016, CUST, Islamabad.
- Wattoo, J.I, Shah S.M, Shabir G, Iqbal M & Arif M (2014), Patterns of linkage disequilibrium, SNPs frequency and genetic structure of elite rice inbred lines. International Conference on Emerging Trends in Life Sciences for Sustainable Development, FC College University, Lahore 9-14 October, 2014.
- Wattoo, J.I, Rubab I, Saleem Z and Iqbal M (2014). Homology modeling, functional annotation and comparative genomic analysis of waxy gene in two cereal genomes. International conference on emerging trends in life sciences for sustainable development. International Conference on Emerging Trends in Life Sciences for Sustainable Development, FC College University, Lahore 9-14 October, 2014.
- Saleem, Z.S, Wattoo J.I and Iqbal M (2014). Amplification and sequence analysis of rbcl and matk regions in three plant species; a step towards DNA barcoding of indigenous plants. International Conference on Emerging Trends in Life Sciences for Sustainable Development, FC College University, Lahore 9-14 October, 2014.
- Iqbal M.S, Sharif M.N, Rehman H, Wattoo J.I, Abbas A, Khan A, Tabassum B and Nasir I.A (2014) ”In-vitro Knockdown of Potato Virus Y (PVY) through shRNA” International Conference on Stress Biology and Biotechnology, Challenges and Management. May 21-23, 2014, Institute of Agricultural Sciences (IAGS), University of Punjab Lahore.
- Abbas M.A, Awan M.F, Muzaffar A, Khan A, Bajwa K, Rao A.Q, Wattoo J.I, Iqbal M.S, Shahid N, Latif A, Niazi B, Shahid A.A, Nasir I.A and Hussnain T (2014) “Co-transformation of Insect resistant and Herbicide tolerant genes into Gossypium hirsutum MNH-786: An Antidote to induce resistance into cotton against Insects and Herbicides” International conference on stress biology and biotechnology, Challenges and management. May 21-23, 2014, IAGS, University of Punjab Lahore.
- Rehman H, Muzaffar A, Bajwa K.S, Ashraf M.A, Wattoo J.I, Iqbal M.S, Sharif M.N, Shahid A.A, Nasir I.A, Rao A.Q and Hussnain T (2014) “Transformation of RNAi constructs into different cotton varieties to control CLCuV” International conference on stress biology and biotechnology, Challenges and management. May 21-23, 2014, IAGS, University of Punjab Lahore.
- Kashif Aslam, S. M. Shah, M. Sabar, Wattoo J.I.,Shahzad A. N., M. Arif and M. J. Thomson. 2012. Genetic analysis of chromosomes 3 and 7 Association with Grain Length and Grain Shape in Rice (Oryza sativa) 12th (SABRAO) Congress held in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
- Wattoo J.I, Khan A.S and Ali Z, (2009). Correlation and path coefficient analysis among yield related traits in rice (Oryza sativa). International conference on “ Advances in agriculture, Prospects and potentials of natural resources in food security held at University of Azad Jammu and Kashmir 10-12 August, 2009, PP 126.
- Wattoo J.I, Aslam K, Shah S.M, Shabir G, Sabar M, Naveed S.A, Waheed R, Ashiq N, Mustafa T and Arif M (2011). Mutagenic effects of Ethyle Methane Sulphonate (EMS) on germination and yield parameters of Basmati rice. International conference on prospects and challenges to sustainable agriculture (14-16 July, 2011), University of Azad Jammu & Kashmir.
- Waheed R, Shabir G, Wattoo J.I, Sabar M, Aslam K, Shah S.M, Naveed S.A, Ashiq N and Arif M (2011). RAPD marker assisted varietal identification and genetic diversity identification of Basmati and non-Basmati rice (Oryza sativa L). International conference on prospects and challenges to sustainable agriculture (14-16 July, 2011), University of Azad Jammu & Kashmir.
- Naveed S.A, Sabar M, Aslam K, Shah S.M, Wattoo J.I, Waheed R, Shabir G, Ashiq N and Arif M (2011). Pyramiding of BLB resistant genes in Super Basmati (Oryza sativa L) using marker assisted backcrossing approach. International conference on prospects and challenges to sustainable agriculture (14-16 July, 2011), University of Azad Jammu & Kashmir.
- Sabar, M. Aslam K, Naveed, S.A, Ali M, Wattoo, J.I, Shabbir, G and Arif, M. (2010) MARKER- ASSISTED BACKCROSSING (MAB) TO INTROGRESS QTLS FOR WATER STRESS ENVIRONMENT IN BASMATI RICE (Oryza sativa ): A MOLECULAR BREEDING APPROACH. The third International Rice Congress (IRC2010).
International & National Collaborations
- Department of Food & Agriculture, University of Queensland, Australia
- International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Philippines
- National Institute for Biotechnology & Genetic Engineering (NIBGE), Faisalabad, Pakistan
- Rice Research Institute (RRI), KSK, Lahore
- Centre of Excellence in Molecular Biology (CEMB), University of Punjab, Lahore
- National Agriculture Research Centre (NARC), Islamabad, Pakistan
Areas of Interest
- Quantitative Genetics
- Genetics & Evolution
- Molecular Plant Breeding
- Comparative Genomics
- DNA fingerprinting/ PCR Technology
- Marker Assisted Selection (MAS)
Genome Mapping Software’s
- STRUCTURE & TASSEL
- Q gene, QTL network and QTL cartographer
- Gramene (A curated, open-source data resources for comparative genome analysis in grasses)
- Graduate Assessment Test (GAT)-General conducted by National Testing Service (NTS) of Pakistan on January 8, 2007.
- Graduate Assessment Test (GAT) – Subject test (Biotechnology) conducted by National Institute for Biotechnology & Genetic Engineering (NIBGE), 2011.
042-35880007 Ext: 327
University of central Punjab Faculty of Life Sciences