Ahmad has Masters degrees in Mechanical Engineering (Manufacturing Systems) and Computer Science from National University of Singapore (NUS) and Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) respectively. Prior to joining UCP as Assistant Professor, Ahmad worked for companies in Automotive, Dental appliances manufacturing, software and Process industries: both in consulting roles and at management positions. He has also served as Head of Technology Initiatives at TUSDEC, a subsidiary of Pakistan Industrial Development Corporation Ltd. Currently serving as Program Director (BBA), he also teaches courses in Operations and Supply Chain Management domain with scholastic interest in Ubiquitous Supply Chain Management.
- Operations Management
- Managing Supply Chain
- Supply Management
- Logistics Management
- Production and Operations Management
- New Product Development
Applied research gauging the scope of inventory management, procurement management and supplier performance monitoring in Pakistani SMEs at the crossroads of digital revolution (projects in progress)
University of Central Punjab (UCP) Aug 2011 – Present
Program Director (MBA) / Assistant Professor – UCP Business School
- Assuring academic integrity of University offerings in MBA Program. I also coordinate with relevant offices to ensure that the program adheres to University academic policies, HEC and professional bodies.
- Teaching ‘Operations Management’, ‘Managing Supply Chain’ modules with special focus on indigenous manufacturing sector.
- Introduced ‘New Product Development’ (NPD) module for Entrepreneurship specialization covering methodologies like Quality Function Deployment, FAST and DFX: design for reliability, serviceability, manufacturability etc.
- Introduced a module on Supply Chain Logistics for Supply Chain Management specialization
University of Lahore (UOL) Sep 2010 – Aug 2011
Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department
- Taught Computer Aided Design (CAD) with a focus on product development pivoted around cutting edge design and analysis tools. Students worked on group projects devised to innovatively design different products in Beginning-of-Life (BoL) phase of product lifecycle and meant for specific market niches.
Polytek Associates May 2010 – Jul 2011
System Integration Engineer
- Defined scope of work for assigned projects, worked on CAD drawings for civil layouts, PIDs, and generated BOQs accordingly.
- Managed technical discussions with clients and third parties including suppliers/sub-contractors
Technology Upgradation & Skills Development Company, TUSDEC Dec 2006 – Dec 2008
Head of Department, Technology Initiatives
- Prepared capital expenditure estimates, cash flow plans and operations management plans for federal government’s PC-1 documents for proposals during my tenure. I spearheaded a feasibility report for proposed ‘Electronics Complex’ (centre for Surface Mount Technology (SMT) and PCB assembly)
- Visited OEMs like Samsung, Siemens and Wearnes in Malaysia and Singapore for studying their manufacturing systems and negotiating potential partnerships for company’s proposed projects
- Prepared technical evaluation and comparative analysis reports for selecting CAD/CAM software packages for company’s flagship project ‘National Institute of Design and Analysis (NIDA)’.
- Supervised a field survey for Asian Development Bank (ADB) funded common facility centers for CAD/CAM services in Pakistan (US$12 million project). Feasibility reports covered technical evaluations for CNC machining centers, Ultrasonic machining equipment and 3D Laser scanning.
Orthoclear Pakistan (Pvt) Ltd May 2005 – Dec 2006
Process Manager, 3D Scanning
- Headed a production department taking care of company’s 3D scanning needs in a state-of-the-art precision manufacturing system. Employing queuing technique and line balancing strategies I was able to reduce process cycle time by 30% for our department that extensively used software programs like Raindrop Geomagic®, INUS Rapidform® and German laser scanners from 3D Alliance Gmbh . Orthoclear Pakistan (offshore concern of Orthoclear Inc, USA) manufactured polymer dental aligners for US market in an ERP driven production setup.
- Led a production team of 78 CAD/CAM operators working across three shifts per day and meeting dynamically changing production targets without major bottlenecks.
- Prepared operational and maintenance SOPs for 3D laser scanning systems, protocols for RapidForm™ and Geomagic™ applications with support from 3D Alliance Gmbh, Germany.
Xertab Global Solutions Nov 2004 – May 2005
- Designed architectures for ERP/MRP applications for the venture’s clientele.
Trainings & Certificates
- Leadership Training Camp (2009), Outward Bound Singapore (OBS)
- FA-PLC (Basic), Fundamentals of Programmable Controller by OMRON Singapore
- Mitsubishi PLC basic Training Course, TDS Technology (S) Pte Ltd, Singapore
- Introduction to ISO 9001:2000 QMS, Pakistan Institute of Quality Control
- Production Tool Design and Machining Simulation, NIDA, Lahore, Pakistan
- Proficient in AutoCAD, Raindrop Geomagic
- Proficient in GaBi Product Lifecycle Analysis toolkit
- Designing and programming IoT applications (amateur level)
- Reading manufacturing/automation industry magazines
- Amateur robotics
Ext #: 239
Faculty Of UCP Business School, University of Central Punjab