Mr. Zamir Hussain Naqvi completed his MA in Linguistics for TESOL from Newcastle University, England; Certificate in TEFL from Leeds University, England; PGD’s in ELT and TEFL from Allama Iqbal Open University (AIOU), Islamabad; Postgraduate Diploma in teaching of English as an International Language from National Academy of Higher Education, in cooperation with AIOU, Islamabad, the British Council of Pakistan, and Manchester University, England, and MA English Language and Literature from the University of the Punjab, Lahore.
Before joining UCP, he was Professor of Humanities and Chairperson Department of English, Forman Christian College (A Chartered University), Lahore. Mr. Naqvi taught Communication Skills at the Civil Services Academy of Pakistan. He taught various courses, e.g. Business Communication, Teaching Methodology, English Literature, and Applied Linguistics at the University of the Punjab, FAST-National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences, Pak-Aims College of Business Administration, and the University of Management and Technology, Lahore. He delivered lectures, and presented workshops and idea-exchange sessions at many national and international teachers’ conferences. He published his research and literary articles in some very prestigious journals. His research interests are in Phonetics and Phonology, and Nativization of English in Pakistan.
- Literary Stylistics
- English Phonetics & Phonology
MA Linguistics for TESOL. 1991.
University of Newcastle, England.
Post Graduate Diploma in TEFL. 1989.
Allama Iqbal Open University (AIOU), Islamabad, Pakistan.
The British Council Postgraduate Certified in TEFL. 1987.
University of Leeds, England.
Postgraduate Diploma in TEIL
(Teaching of English as an International Language). 1984.
National Academy of Higher Education, Islamabad, in collaboration with the British Council, Allama Iqbal Open University (AIOU), Islamabad, and University of Manchester, England.
Postgraduate Diploma in ELT. 1982.
AIOU, Islamabad, Pakistan.
A Course in English as a Cultural Communication Tool.
May 21-25, 1995. United States Information Services (USIS), Lahore.
Language and Education. Apr 4-20, 1994. USIS, Lahore.
American Literature. Sept 7-16, 1993. USIS, Lahore.
American Literature. June 24-July 8, 1989. USIS, Lahore.
ELT Workshop. Mar 31-Apr 11,1985. USIS, Lahore.
Sept. 2012 – date. Associate Professor. The University of Central Punjab, Lahore.
Aug. 2003 – June 2012. Professor. Forman Christian College
(A Chartered University), Lahore.
Sept. 1973 – Aug 2003. Lecturer – Associate Professor. Govt. Islamia College, Civil Lines, Lahore.
Sept. 1972-Aug. 1973. Lecturer. Willayat Hussain Degree College, Multan.
Jan. 1970 – Aug. 1972. Lecturer. Ashraf Inter College, Lahore.
Honors and Awards
2000-2001. ‘Talent Award’ and cash prize for the best teacher postgraduate studies. Govt. Islamia College, Civil Lines, Lahore.
1991 EXCELLENT final report awarded on completion of MA Program of Newcastle University, England.
1990 The British Council TCT Award for higher studies in U.K.
1987 The British Council TELF grant for the course at Leeds University, England.
1983-84. University Grants Commission Scholarship for PG Dip. TEIL at the National Academy of Higher Education, Islamabad.
Member, TESOL Arabia. 2001 – 2003. (Participated in annual conferences held in Dubai.)
Editor, Journal of English Literature and Linguistic Studies (JELLS). 2012. Forman Christian College University, Lahore.
Advisor, OPSTeC Newsletter. 2002. OPSTeC College, Lahore.
Editor, The Faran. 1966. Govt. Islamia College, Civil Lines, Lahore.
Editor, The Crescent. 1962. Islamia College, Lahore.
Supervision of Graduate Students
Year Degree University
1992-1993. MA TEFL Allama Iqbal Open University, Islamabad.
- Civil Services Academy of Pakistan, Walton, Lahore. Taught Communication Skills to the participants of 30th Common Training Programme for the new cohort of Central Superior Services of Pakistan.
- 2010 University of Management and Technology, Lahore.
- Lectures on Teaching Methodology to M. Phil. / Ph.D. participants in Applied Linguistics program.
- 2004- 2008. Institute of Education & Research, Punjab University, Lahore. Lectures on English Phonology and on ELT Methods and Approaches.
- 2001-2002. Overseas Pakistanis Science & Technology City__ OPSTeC. College of Computer Science. Adjunct Faculty. Taught Communication Skills and Technical Report Writing to BCS classes.
- 1996-2000. Department of English Language & Literature, Punjab University, Lahore. Visiting Faculty. Taught English Language Skills to PGD in ELT class.
- 1994-2012. Punjab College of Business Administration (now, University of Central Punjab) Lahore. Visiting Faculty. Taught Academic Writing, Communication Skills and Business Communications to Business Administration and Computer Science students at the graduate and postgraduate levels. Conducted Research Methodology Course for BCS students.
- Institute of Leadership and Management (now University of Management and Technology), Lahore.
- Taught Business Communication to MBA students, ‘Teaching of Language Skills’ to MA ELT class and ELT Methodology to M.Phil. students.
- 1998-1999. Premier College, Lahore. Taught various courses to BBA students.
- 1999-2000. FAST-National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences, Lahore. Taught Communication skills and English Language to BCS students.
- 1994-1997. Sheikh Zayed Postgraduate Medical Institute, Lahore. Visiting Faculty. Conducted English language courses for B.Sc. Medical Lab-Technology students.
- 1991-1996. Allama Iqbal Open University, Lahore Campus. Taught the following courses to PGD ELT and MA ELT students: Course 551 Psycholinguistics, Language Teaching Methodologies, Sociolinguistics.
- Course 552 English Grammar & Phonology
- Course 553 The Language Skills
- Course 554 EFL in Classroom
- Course 556 Language Variation and Stylistics
- Course 557 Semantics and Discourse Analysis
- Course 558 English for Specific Purposes, English for Academic Purposes
- Course 559 Modern Grammatical Theory and its Applications.
Brief Statement of Research Interest
Phonetics & Phonology of English and selected Pakistani languages.
Lahore: Classic Publisher. 2010
The Status of English in the Sub-Continent. The Folio.
Lahore: Forman Christian College. 2008.
My Dear Undergrads and a Ghanaian Poet. The Folio.
Lahore: Forman Christian College. 2007.
Yaadon Ka Savera. The Folio.
Lahore: Forman Christian College. 2007
Oxbridge Ki Jalwagah Mein. Faran.
Lahore: Government Islamia College. 2006
The Role of L1 in SLA. Journal of Social Sciences. 2:1.
Faisalabad: Government College University. 2006.
Was Saussure not so sure? The Beacon.
Faisalabad: Government College University. 2006.
American English and the Tag of Colonial Lag. Journal of Social Sciences. 1:2. Faisalabad: Government College University. 2005.
Top Ten Signs of a Great Teacher (of English). The Gazette. 2:3. Lahore: Forman Christian College. 2005.
Developing Listening Skills. Amozish. vol. 2.
Lahore: Government College of Education. 2001.
Ashraf, M., & Zamir Naqvi. Quality Education.
Karachi: The Daily Dawn. 29 December 2001.
T’aruf , “Ghazal: nasal dar nasal”. Debjani Chatterji (ed.)
Lahore: Jahangir Book Depot. 2006.
An Urdu translation of Preface to ‘Generations of Ghazal’.
Debjani Chatterji (ed.) Bradford: Redbeck Press. 2003
Selected Professional Presentations
- March 2011. Learning Teaching Learning Students.
- International Teachers’ Conference. Forman Christian College University, Lahore.
- 22- 24 Oct., 2010. Mapping Unmapped Territories.
- 26th International ELT conference. Society of Pakistan English Language Teachers (SPELT).
- March 28, 2009. “Learning Teaching”. International Conference. Forman Christian College University, Lahore.
- April 26, 2008. “Teaching against the tide- Creating Democratic Classroom.” Teacher’s conference. Forman Christian College University, Lahore.
- April 21, 2007. Innovating Classrooms Practices Across Disciplines Teacher’s Conference. Forman Christian College University, Lahore.
- 2004. ‘Developing Aural and Oral Skills.’ Ewing Literary Society. Forman Christian College University, Lahore.
- 2004 ‘American English in Colonial Lag.’ Ewing Literary Society. Forman Christian College University, Lahore.
- 2000 ‘Teaching – Learning Effectiveness Workshop.’ Institute of Leadership and Management (now University of Management and Technology), Lahore.
- 2000. ‘Developing Writing Skills.’ UNESCO sponsored College Teacher Training event. Government Teacher Training College, Lahore.
- 1990. The Communicative Approach. A Practicum at the Language Centre, Newcastle University. England.
042-35880007 Ext: 581
Faculty of English, University of Central Punjab