Shafiq Ur Rahman
Ph.D. (All but Dissertation) in Computer Communication.
George Washington University, Washington D.C., USA. 1989-1993
Air-Interface Design of MicroCellular Architecture (Cellular Communication) for Integrated Voice/Data Communication using EPRMA (Explicit Packet Reservation Multiple Access) Protocol.
M.Sc. in Computer Communication
George Washington University, Washington D.C. 1986-1988
B.Sc. in Electrical Engineering
University of Engineering & Technology, Lahore. 1977-1983
University of Central Punjab, Lahore.
Head of Computer Science Department
National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences, Lahore
- Senior Researcher at Center for Research in Urdu Language Processing (CRULP).(2001-2009)
- Conducting research in areas of Natural Language Processing (Morphological Analysis, Annotated Corpus building, Lexical resources), Secure Communication on Internet (IPSec) esp. Key Management Issues for Single Source Multicast Groups and Routing in Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks (Unicast, multicast), Lock-Free Data Structures and Urdu fonts.
- Co-Supervised a UNDP funded project for the development of character-based Nastaleeq font using OTF formalism.
- Supervised and successfully delivered an ICT funded project for the development of web-based Urdu searchable Dictionary.
Centre for Language Technology (CLE), KICS, UET, Lahore (8/2012 –12/2013)
- Guided the development of Urdu Optical Character Recognition Software.
- Provided consultancy on the development of framework for the Urdu Dialog System.
Sr. Development Manager
Vroom Technologies (Pvt.) Ltd, Lahore. 4/98 – 10/2001.
- Member Architecture team that defines product architecture.
- Manager architecture implementation team
- Manager DB team
- Guide, review & approve HLD & DD of products.
- Member Software Engineering Process Group that reviews and approves processes.
CresSoft, Lahore. 3/97 – 3/98
Responsible for the System Architect and High Level Design. Designed an X.790 based Trouble Administration System. The system employed distributed object using CORBA in multi-tier architecture.
FAST Institute of Computer Science, Lahore. 1/96 – 3/97
- Computer Communications
- Compiler Design
- Theory of Automata
The World Bank, Washington D.C., USA. 6/92 – 7/95
- Inter-Financial Institutions Messaging Software Design based on SWIFT & TELEX
- ORACLE Report writing using PRO*C, SQL PLUS and SQL FORMS
EE&CS LABS, GWU, Washington D.C., USA. 6/94 – 9/94
- Designed and Installed ETHERNET LAN (Netware 3.11). It included both hardware & software.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
George Washington University (GWU), Washington D.C. 8/91 – 6/92
- Supervised Senior Design Lab for Undergraduate Students
- Helped in the design of SEQUENTIAL LOGIC Lab and conducted it
- Wrote an Instruction Manual for ABEL(Design package for PLA, FPLA, and Gate Arrays) which became part of curriculum.
EE&CS LABS, GWU, Washington D.C., USA. 4/90 – 8/91
- Helped undergraduate students with different EE&CS software and equipment.
SAHICS, FAST Institute of Electronics, Lahore. 4/83 – 7/86
- Lead Designer and Developer of Hardware for Flight Information Display System using Intel’s 8086 microprocessor. The flight information was displayed both in URDU and ENGLISH.
- Member of Software Development Team for Flight Information Display System.
- Designed and Developed Hardware for Microprocessor Teaching Aid based on Intel’s 8088 microprocessor for engineering students.
- Wrote System Monitor (Operating system) for Microprocessor Teaching Aid.