QEC is established under the umbrella of Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) of Higher Education Commission (HEC) to enhance, maintain and monitor quality of higher education. HEC took initiative to establish QECs in all of the HEIs in Pakistan and University of Central Punjab established the QEC in 2010. QEC at UCP is not only working to assure and enhance quality of education but also the quality of other administrative and support offices and continually improve on it. The QEC at UCP’s key role is planning, guiding and monitoring Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Enhancement (QE) activities of the Institute. Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) also oversees the mission of UCP, i.e. we serve to safeguard the “conducive teaching, learning and research environment”.
QEC is actively involved in taking account of quality of many activities taking place at UCP, including teaching development, maintaining learning standards, determining stakeholder satisfaction, appraisal of undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate degree programs, supporting processes, faculty, staff and students. QEC has adopted strategic goals for improvement in following areas:
- Planning: Annual and long-term planning to set goals and action plans for the quality of teaching, learning and research.
- Assurance: Review of procedures and practices, both periodic and continuous at Departmental, Faculty, School and University levels to assess the quality of teaching, learning and research.
- Responsibilities: To quote role and responsibilities of teachers, individual staff members, Academic Heads, Deans of Faculties and Directors.
Education Committee: Setting up a committee comprising of Pro-rector, Deans and Director QEC to work on university’s strategic plan. The Strategic Plan of 2016-2017 has set up specific objectives and goals for the University, focusing Teaching, Learning and Research.
- Developing a Learning Policy: Selecting different learning styles by faculty and university wide; choosing between teacher centered and learner centered styles; coaching and training of faculty to adapt that style in their daily practice and developing learning outcomes to match that style.
- Faculty wide Academic Plans: The yearly Teaching and Learning Plan for each faculty on selected themes addressing university-wide academic issues, such as, the links between research and teaching, and interdisciplinary teaching.
- Annual Plans: Faculties and Service Divisions (directorates) prepare Annual Plans that detail the activities for the coming year in relation to the strategic goals of the university.
- Quality Circles: Setting up faculty wide and university wide Teaching and Learning Quality Committees to monitor student-learning outcomes for each program of studies.
- Communication channel: To develop communication channel across university faculty and directorates to share data.
Review and assessment of university profile: (use of promotional material and strategy, HEC ranking, alumni feedback etc.)
- Appraisal: Teaching and learning quality is judged ultimately by student learning outcomes (judged through employability of graduates and employers feedback).
- Feedback: Assurance of student and teacher involvement via regular feedback regarding teaching and learning quality and improvements.
- Staff support: Support each member of teaching staff to be an effective teacher.
- Student support: The University offers a suite of services and facilities to enable every student to be an effective learner, and to achieve the appropriate Graduate Profile.
In order to fulfill its mission, QEC has established active liaison with all faculties and provides them solutions for their problems. We believe in teamwork and we work in constant partnership with teams and committees from different faculties comprising of faculty and staff. We dearly hope to achieve our targets through strong commitment, integrity, fairness and learning from our experiences.
The Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) is a vital part of administrative and academic structure of the University of Central Punjab. The QEC is responsible for reviewing the quality standards and the quality of teaching and learning, development of quality assurance processes for effective program monitoring, faculty monitoring, and student’s perception.
Scope of QEC
- Annual and Semester-wise Monitoring and Evaluation of academic Program, Faculty and Students
- Quality assurance of all degree programs.
- Evaluation and analysis of quality standards of teaching and learning in each subject area.
- To build up program specifications and quality assurance processes.
- Evaluate Department and Institutional Assessment.
- To develop Evaluation Methods.
- To ensure the quality and standard of the degrees awarding.
- To analyze and review academic affiliation with governing bodies and institutions.
- Incubate units and/or services as deemed necessary via in-depth analysis.
The Vision of QEC is “to make the Quality a defining element of higher education in UCP through self and external quality evaluation and with unique and differentiated initiatives”.
The mission of QEC is “to cultivate the seed of quality education with continuous improvement, hard work and patience”
As per Higher Education Commission (HEC)
- The Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) is to be headed by a Dean reporting directly to Vice Chancellor/Rector. He is to be the correspondent with the outside bodies.
- QEC is responsible for promoting public confidence that the quality and standards of the award of degrees are enhanced and safe guarded.
QEC is responsible for the review of quality standards and the quality of teaching and learning in each subject area.
- QEC is responsible for the review of academic affiliations with other institutions in terms of effective management of standards and quality of programs.
- QEC is responsible for defining clear and explicit standards as points of reference to the reviews to be carried out. It should also help the employees to know as to what they could expect from candidates.
QEC is responsible to develop qualifications framework by setting out the attributes and abilities that can be expected from the holder of a qualification, i.e. Bachelors, Bachelor with Honors, Master’s, M. Phil. And PhD.
- QEC is responsible to develop program specifications. These are standard set of information clarifying what knowledge, understanding, skills and other attributes a student will have developed on successfully completing a specific program.
- QEC is responsible to develop quality assurance processes and methods of evaluation to affirm that the quality of provision and the standard of awards are being maintained and to foster curriculum, subject and staff development, together with research and other scholarly activities.
At University of Central Punjab (UCP)
At UCP QEC has two divisions
- Academic Quality Division
- Data Analytics Division
Academic Quality Division
This division intends to improve the standard of academic quality by developing a healthy liaison with HEC and with all faculties of UCP. Most of the projects which are currently executing under QEC are major part of it. These include;
- Self-Assessment Reports of all Faculties
- MS/PhD Program Reviews
- NOC of any new MS and PhD Programs from HEC
- National & international Rankings(HEC, QS, Times Higher Education)
- Pakistan Qualification Register (PQR)
- Provision of Roadmap of Academic Programs and their Approvals
Other than aforementioned tasks, this division is also aimed to provide assistance to all faculties of UCP regarding their memberships and accreditations with major National and International bodies. However, the main task of accreditation lies with Faculties.
All processes which are under the domain of academia need to be formulated and validated by this division e.g. to validate the number of HEC approved research papers for promotion criteria. To formulate the unframed process (e.g. the research policy), this division will integrate with the parent department (the owner of process) and assists them in framing and approving the process.
Other projects which can be initiated under this division can be QS Ranking Application Process and Times Ranking Application Process.
Data Analytics Division
This division intends to collect and analyze the data and come up with various reports, which can be used to improve the quality of academia and services. The core projects of this division may include formulation of online surveys by integrating with main departments. These surveys may include:
- Student Satisfaction Survey
- Faculty Satisfaction Survey
- Alumni Survey
- Employer Survey
- Survey of Graduating Students
- Course and Teachers Evaluation Survey
Some of the results from aforementioned surveys are used in SARs, so strong integration of data analyst with all three divisions is paramount to optimize the results. Apart from this, there are many avenues where survey results give us the factual data to base our decisions e.g. students view in discounting & scholarship policy, faculty view in terms of faculty development and research etc.
As part of UCP’s efforts toward continually improving the students, faculty, alumni and employer satisfaction on different aspects related to university, QEC has been given the responsibility to collect, analyze and report the afore-mentioned stakeholders feedback in each semester. Faculty/ School-wise online feedback system through a structured questionnaire has been maintained that affords students, faculty, alumni and employer with an opportunity to reflect upon their experience in each semester.