Why School of Media and Communication Studies (SMCS)?
If you are passionate about your goals, we have some of the best facilities to help you achieve your potential.
- Only Private sector University to have NOC from HEC for its MPhil and PhD programs in Media Studies.
- The First ever state of the art in house Production House/TV Studio. An ideal opportunity for students to get hand on training to produce news bulletins, news reports, short films, documentaries and different other programs.
- The biggest state of the Art Non Linear Editing (NLE) Lab of Pakistan for Editing and Graphic Designing purposes, equipped with 40 I Mac systems, having the latest editing soft wares installed on both Windows and Mac operating systems.
- FM Radio 92.6, UCP Ki Dunya with 24/7 transmission.
- Potential partnership opportunities with Arizona State University (ASU) and Communication University of China (CUC).
- 04 Different Specializations including Electronic Media, Print, PR and Advertising And Research.
- Quarterly Newsletter ‘Communication Times’
- Center for training and Research (CTR) the best possible research based facility for the research groups, faculty members as well as the MPhil and PHD Scholars of SMCS.
- Film and Theater Center (FTC) for the purpose of screening of the video projects of the students.
- PhD Discussion Rooms
- State of the Art Class rooms and infrastructure
- In-house Internship opportunities for students in our Production House/TV station, NLE lab and FM Radio 92.6, UCP Ki Dunya, Dunya TV, Dunya News and Lahore TV.
- Outdoor Internship and career opportunities for our students in leading TV channels, newspapers, PR and Advertising agencies, Radio stations and in different other media outlets.
- Project partner of ASU & US State Department to Improve Election Coverage in Pakistan.
What kind of future prospects; I have if I get a degree of BS (honors) media and communication studies?
Graduates can peruse their careers in different sectors of the media such as print and electronic media, Production houses, corporate communication, development sector, online communications, public relations, Advertising, publication designing, teaching. They can also work as media consultants and media analysts. Besides they are eligible for MPhil studies.
Is there any specialization in BS (Mass communication) offered by SMCS
There are four 04 Specializations; being offered In BS (Hons.)
- Mass Communication & Research
- Professional Journalism (TV, Radio & Print)
- Broadcast (Radio, TV) Film & Theater Studies
- Advertising & Public Relations
Is there any in-house facility for the students, who particularly opt the specialization of Broadcast (Radio, TV) film & Theater studies?
SMCS is the only University in private sector which has its own TV Studio/production house equipped with latest equipment and one of the largest Non Linear Editing Lab (NLE) in Pakistan. There is one modern computer lab with mac systems for the students to learn the skills of graphic designing, in-page, ticker-writing and computer skills. FM Radio 92.6, UCP Ki Dunya is running its 24/7 transmission. These facilitates enable our students to work in professional environment.
What kind of future prospects, I have if I get a degree of M.Sc Journalism & Mass Communication?
Students with M.Sc (Journalism & Mass Communication) degree are not only eligible for higher studies (MPhil) but also can seek positions in print & electronic media, Public Relations, Development and corporate sector, Advertisings, research and teaching.
MPhil and PhD
What kind of future opportunities, I have if I get a degree of MPhil media and communication Studies?
MPhil program offers two specializations (Thesis and Project based) which offers a vast array of opportunities for the students to peruse. Students can approach different fields of the media for their jobs, such as print and electronic media, films and theater, Production houses, corporate communication, lectureship, development sector, public relations, Advertising, teaching. They can also work for the different projects of research and can work as media consultants and analysts. This program also enables them to qualify for higher studies (PhD).
What kind of future prospects and opportunities, I have if I get a degree of PhD (Media and communication Studies)?
PhD of SMCS has a variety of opportunities for the students to grow. Students can approach the different positions in public and private sector universities for academic services. They are equally qualified to offer their services in media and research organizations and can also nurture their careers in Electronic and print media, Advertising and PR, and media analysts.
Which Degree programs offered by SMCS are affiliated with HEC?
All degree programs of SMCS are affiliated with HEC and it is first university in private sector to get NOC from HEC for its MPhil and PhD program.
Is there any specialization being offered in MPhil program?
MPhil program is holding two different Specializations: (1) Thesis Based (2) Project Based
What is the difference between thesis based and project based specializations being offered in MPhil?
Both specializations have one-year course work which is compulsory for the students. Thesis based track helps students to explore different research and theoretical frameworks and after the course work, students write dissertation/thesis as a degree requirement. On the other hand, Project based /professional track polishes students for print, electronic media, corporate communication, Public relations and Advertising. For project based specialization, students produce one final project (documentary, short film, play, talk show etc.) under the supervision of their supervisor as their degree requirement. There is a requisite for the students of both specializations (Thesis and project based) to conduct seminars for a course Media Seminar.
MPhil and PhD programs of SMCS is weekend or full time program?
MPhil and PhD programs of SMCS are weekend programs and classes are held on Saturday and Sunday.
How the PhD program of SMCS is different from other universities?
It is only University in private sector which has two full time professors as their permanent faculty. There is Centre for Advance Studies (CAS) for intellectual discussions and debates. This program offers an array of specializations to conduct the research in those areas which include Global/Intercultural Communication, Development Communication, Media, Culture and Society, Social Media, Mass Communication (In general), Media and Politics, Semiotics, Media Management, Rhetoric Communication and Gender Studies.