MicrobiologyAdvances in medicine, greater longevity and a rapidly expanding world population continue to increase the numbers of people at the risk of infection. The situation compounded by the emergence of multi-drug resistant microbes and the lack of new clinically effective anti- infective agents compelled us to establish Microbiology section under FLS. Research within the Molecular Microbiology Group will be directed towards the acquisition of novel molecular and cellular insights into host pathogen interactions, quorum sensing and the evolution of virulence and drug resistance with a view to the discovery of new therapeutic and preventative strategies against Viral, Bacterial and Fungal Pathogens.
Sample Course Plan for BS Microbiology
Year 1, Semester 1Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- CompulsoryEnglish I3 (3 + 0)
- CompulsoryPakistan Studies2 (2 + 0)
- CompulsoryIslamic Studies / Ethics2 (2 + 0)
- CompulsoryComputer Application3 (2 + 1)
- General-IHuman Physiology-I3 (2 + 1)
- Foundation-IFundamentals of Microbiology-I4 (2 2)
Year 1, Semester 2Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- CompulsoryEnglish II3 (3 + 0)
- CompulsoryBiostatistics3 (3 + 0)
- General-IIHuman Physiology-II3 (2 + 1)
- General-IIIBiochemistry-I3 (2 + 1)
- General-VSociology3 (3 + 0)
- Foundation-IIFundamentals of Microbiology-II4 (2 + 2)
Year 2, Semester 3Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- CompulsoryMathematics-I / Biology3 (3 + 0)
- General-IVBiochemistry-II3 (2 + 1)
- General-VIGeneral Genetics3 (2 + 1)
- Foundation-IIIIntroduction to Medical Microbiology4 (2 + 2)
- Foundation-IVGeneral Immunology3 (2 + 1)
Year 2, Semester 4Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- General-VIIEcology and Ecosystem3 (2 + 1)
- General-VIIIBiodiversity of Plants and Fungi3 (2 + 1)
- Foundation-VMicrobial Taxonomy3 (2 + 1)
- Foundation-VIGeneral Virology3 (2 + 1)
- Foundation-VIICell Biology-I3 (2 + 1)
Year 3, Semester 5Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- Foundation-VIIIMycology3 (2 + 1)
- Foundation-IXResearch Methodology3 (2 + 1)
- Major-ICell Biology-II3 (2 + 1)
- Major-IIMicrobial Anatomy and Physiology3 (2 + 1)
- Major-IIIFresh Water Microbiology3 (2 + 1)
Year 3, Semester 6Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- Foundation-XBiosafety and Risk Mgmt.3 (3 + 0)
- Major-IVBacterial Genetics4 (2 + 2)
- Major-VClinical Bacteriology4 (2 + 2)
- Major-VISoil Microbiology3 (2 + 1)
- Major-VIIEpidemiology, Public Health and Bioethics3 (2 + 1)
Year 4, Semester 7Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- Major-VIIIEnvironmental Biotechnology3 (2 + 1)
- Major-IXMolecular Mechanism of Antimicrobial Agent4 (2 + 2)
- Elective-IApplied Microbial Technology3 (2 + 1)
- Elective-IICell and Tissue Culture3 (2 + 1)
- Major-XResearch Project / Internship / Special Paper-I3 (0 + 3)
Year 4, Semester 8Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- Major-XIGenetic Engineering4 (2 + 2)
- Major-XIIMedical Virology4 (2 + 2)
- Elective-IIIIndustrial Biotechnology3 (2 + 1)
- Elective-IVNano-Biotechnology3 (2 + 1)
- Major-XIIIResearch Project / Internship / Special Paper-II3 (0 + 3)
To apply for BS in any of the above-mentioned programs, a candidate must have at least 45% marks or 2nd division in F.Sc. Pre-Medical /A level or an equivalent.
Graduates of this program will have developed the necessary skills to become productive and ethical contributors to scientific research. They will be prepared to further their educations through additional graduate training, enter the industry, and/or begin an academic career. Students with the microbiology degree are well-suited for positions as a Microbiologist in Academics, Government Institutes, Hospitals, Pharmacies, Industrial laboratories and Dental schools. They can also obtain positions in fields that are not directly involved with research, such as various administrative positions in the industry and teaching. Students are not only prepared for careers in industry and teaching, as well as for post-graduate and professional programs at other institutions.
BS Microbiology ( 4 yrs, 8 semesters)
- Courses Cr. Hrs. Fee per course Admission Fee Total Fee 1st Semester