After the completion of this course the students should be able to understand the basic structure of various organs of our body not only at gross level but also at tissues or cell level.
ANATOMICAL TERMINOLOGY: Definition. Cell, tissue, organ system.
Structure of Cell
Cell Membrane, Cytoplasm, Organelles, Nucleus, Cell cycle.
Tissues of Body
Types of tissues with examples:
- Epithelial Tissue: General characters, classification.
- Connective Tissue: Structure & types; (Connective tissue, Cartilage).
- Bones: Structure and types of bones and joints.
- Muscle: Structure of skeletal muscle, smooth muscle, cardiac muscle.
- Skin: Structure (Epidermis, dermis).
- Glands of Skin: (Sweat, Sebaceous).
- Hair: Structure, function.
- Nail: Structure, function
- Heart: Structure of Heart, Location of Heart, Blood Supply to Heart.
- Blood Vessels: Main blood vessels arising & entering the heart. Types of blood vessels with examples.
Name and structure of different parts of alimentary system and their inter-relationship.
Name and structure of organs of urinary system and their inter-relationship.
Male and Female reproductive systems. Name, structure and association of the organs.
- Pituitary gland: structure and relation to hypothalamus.
- Thyroid gland: structure.
- Adrenal gland: structure.
Introduction: Cells of Nervous System (Neuron), Accessory cells of N.S. and Organization of N.S
- Brain: Meninges (Cerebrum: cerebral Lobes. Ventricals, Cerebellum—Anatomy of Cerebellum, Brain Stem: MidBrain. Pons. MEdulla Oblongata, Diencephalon. Thalamus Hypothalamus and Cranial Nerves).
- Spinal Cord: Meninges (C.S.F. Internal Structure, Sensory and Motor Pathway, Spinal Reflexes, Peripheral spinal Nerves, Autonomic Nervous System includes Sympathetic N.S. and Parasympathetic Nervous System).
- Underlying principles of histological techniques and staining specific tissues should be explained.
- Staining of paraffin and frozen sections will be given to the students.
- Most of the teaching should be done on stained and mounted sections and every type of normal tissue will be covered.
- Demonstration of the Preparation and staining of slides.
- Histological examination of slides: Epithelium, Muscle tissue and Connective tissue.
- Organ system: Lung, Kidney, Stomach, Appendix, Skin, Intestine and Gall bladder.