General Introduction And Basic Biochemical Principles
Role of Pharmaceutical Biochemistry in the health profession. Nature of biochemical reactions.
Basic Chemistry Of Biomolecules (Nature, Classification etc.)
- Carbohydrates: Chemistry, Classification, Reactions of Carbohydrates, Optical activity, Biological and pharmaceutical importance of carbohydrates.
- Lipids: Chemistry of Fatty acids and Lipids, Classification (Saponifiable and non-saponifiable lipids, Simple, Complex and Derived lipids), Reactions of Fatty acids and other Lipids, Essential fatty acids, Biological and pharmaceutical importance of lipids.
- Proteins and Amino acids: Chemistry, Classification of proteins and amino acids, Reactions of proteins and amino acids, Organizational levels, Macromolecular nature of proteins, Biological and pharmaceutical importance of proteins and amino acids.
- Nucleic Acids: Chemistry, Types (DNA, RNA, mRNA, tRNA, rRNA), Purine and Pyrimidine bases, Nucelosides, Nucelotides, Structures of nucleic acids, Biological and pharmaceutical importance of nucleic acids.
- Vitamins: Chemistry, Classification (Fat-soluble and water-soluble vitamins), Biological and pharmaceutical importance of vitamins.
- Hormones: Chemistry, Classification (Proteinous and nonproteinous hormones, amino acid derivatives, steroids), Biological and pharmaceutical importance of hormones.
- Enzymes: Chemistry, Classification, Mode of action, Kinetics (Michaelis Menten Equation and some modifications), Inhibition, Activation, Specificity, Allosteric enzymes, Factors affecting the rate of an enzyme-catalyzed reaction, Biological and pharmaceutical importance, Mechanism of action of some important enzymes (Chymotrypsin, Ribonuclease).
Qualitative analysis of
Carbohydrates, Amino acids, Peptides and Sugar, Uric acid, Proteins, Lipids and Sterols (Cholesterol). Bile salts, Billirubin, Analysis of Cholesterol and Creatinine in Blood.
Quantitative analysis of
Carbohydrates-Glucose (reducing sugar) and any other carbohydrate using Benedict and Anthrone method, Amino acids, Peptides and Proteins using Biuret and Ninhydrin (Spectrophotometric) method. Analysis of normal and abnormal components of Urine-Sugar, Uric acid, Billirubin, Cholesterol and Creatinine