The topics will be taught with special reference to their Pharmaceutical Applications.
Introduction To Medicinal Chemistry
Chemical constitution and biological activity: (Receptor, Theory, Structure Activity Relationships (SAR) and Drug Metabolism). Modern concept of rational drug design, prodrug, combinatorial chemistry and computer aided drug design (CADD) and concept of antisense molecules.
Drug Targets And Drug Designing
- Introduction and types of drug targets
- Introduction to molecular modeling and computational chemistry
- Structure based designing
- Ligand based designing
- Various techniques in drug synthesis
General Properties, Chemistry, Biological Action, Structure Activity Relationship And The Therapeutic Applications Of The Following
- Hormones: Steroidal Hormones (Testosterone, Progesterone, Estrogen, Aldosteron and Cortisol), Proteinous Hormones (Insulin, Glucagon, Oxytocin and Vassopressin).
- Anti-neoplastic Agents: Tamoxifen, Fluorouracil, Mercapturine, Methotrexate and Vincristine.
- Sedatives & Hypnotics: Benzodiazepines, Barbiturates, Paraldehyde, Glutethimide, Chloral hydrate, and alcohols.
- Anaesthetics: Local anaesthetics (Procaine, Lignocaine, Eucaine, Cocaine and Benzocaine), General anaesthetics (Cyclopropane, Halothane, Nitrous oxide, Chloroform, Thiopental Sodium, Ketamine, Methohexital, Thioamylal Sodium, Fantanyl Citrate, Tribromo ethanol).
- Analgesics and Antipyretics: Paracetamol, Salicylic acid analogues, Quinolines derivatives, Pyrazolone and Pyrazolodiones, N- arylanthranilic acids, Aryl and heteroaryl acetic acid derivatives.
Practical of the subject shall be designed from time to time on the basis of the above mentioned theoretical topics and availability of the facilities, e.g. Estimation of functional groups; Carboxylic, Hydroxy, Amino and Nitro groups; Determination of Molecular weights of Organic Compounds. Synthesis of Paracetamol, Salicylic Acid, Methyl salicylate, Azobenzene, Benzoic Acid, 5-Hydroxy-1, 3-benzoxazol-2-one, Aspirin, P-nitrosophenol, 3-nitrophthalic acid, o‑Chloro-benzoic acid. Assay of the Drugs like Sulpha drugs, Aspirin, Paracetamol, Benzyl Penicillin, Inorganic preparations. (Note: A minimum of 10 practicals will be conducted).