Dr. Baber Sultan. A. Khan
Professor / Program Director
Dr. Baber S.A. Khan is a Professor in the Department of English where he is teaching and developing Linguistics programs. After graduating from University of Illinois, he joined The Aga Khan University as the first Head of its English Language Unit. Besides the Universities of Cambridge and Edinburgh, Dr. Khan has received training in Teaching in Higher Education at Salzburg, Austria, and from Tampere University of Applied Sciences, Finland. He has taught in North Africa, USA and Middle Eastern countries before joining UCP.
- Pedagogical Grammar
- Contemporary Issues in Applied Linguistics
- PhD (Linguistics) 1989. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL., USA.
- MSc (Applied Linguistics) 1976. University of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
- Postgraduate Certificate of Teaching in Higher Education (PGCTHE), Modules 1 & 2. Sept. 2011- Feb. 2013. Tampere University of Applied Sciences, Helsinki, Finland.
- Instructional Skills Workshop. 20 -23 Jan 2008. Higher Colleges of Technology (HCT), UAE.
- ICDL Certificate. 20 March 2005. ICDL GCC Foundation.
- Using on-line materials in language teaching. 21 – 29 Oct 1994. Center for the study of American Culture and Language, Salzburg Seminar, Salzburg, Austria.
- Educational Planning. 23 – 25 Nov. 1992. Department of medical Education, College of Physicians & Surgeons, Pakistan.
- Linguistics & Language Teaching. 16 July – 24 Aug., 1973. Department of Extramural Studies, University of Cambridge, UK.
- 1 September 2016 – date. Professor, University of Central Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan.
- 11 Sep 1999 – 31 Jul 2016. English Faculty, Higher Colleges of Technology, Al Ain, UAE.
- Sept. 2011 – April 2013. Facilitator PGCTHE, Tampere University of Applied Sciences, Helsinki, Finland.
- 11 Sep 1995 – 11 Sep 1999. Language Instructor, Khalifa bin Zayed Air College, Ministry of Defence, UAE.
- 23 Aug 1989 – 1 Sep 1995. Lecturer/Head, The Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan.
- 6 Sep 1976 – 10 Aug 1984. English Instructor, King Saud University, Riyad, Saudi Arabia.
- 9 Oct 1971 – 8 Sep 1975. Professeur d’Anglais, Lycee Mahmoud BenMahmoud, Guelma, Algeria.
Honors and Awards
- 01 May 2005. Merit in Faculty Service. Al Ain Colleges, Higher Colleges of Technology (HCT), UAE.
- 1982 – 1984. Linguistics Society of America (LSA). Member.
- 2013 – date. Member Editorial Board. Journal of English Literary & Linguistic Studies (JELLS). Forman Christian College (a charted university), Lahore.
- 1998 – 2005. Regional Editor. The Yearbook of South Asian Languages & Linguistics. Sage Publications. New Delhi.
Graduate Students Postdocs Undergrad Students Honor Students
- 2016 – date. Member, Graduate Research Committee, Faculty of Arts and Social Science, UCP.
- Aug. 1995. Review Report on The Aga Khan University English Language Unit. Ms. The Aga Khan University Faculty of Health Sciences, Karachi, Pakistan.
- Oct. 1994 Textbook Review. English textbook prepared by Baluchistan Board of Intermediate & Secondary Education, Quetta, Pakistan.
- Feb 1994 Teaching writing at secondary level in Sindh schools. Teacher Training Workshop conducted for Sindh Government’s Secondary School teachers. Sindh Board of Intermediate & Secondary Education, Karachi, Pakistan.
- 1993 – 1994 National English Language Curriculum. (Coauthor). National curriculum prepared by National English Language Institute (NELI), Ministry of Education, Government of Pakistan, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Oct-Nov 1993 English for Parliamentary Staff. Series of language workshops conducted for the staff of Provincial Assembly of Sind. Jointly sponsored by Asia Foundation and National Education and Training Commission (NETCOM), Ministry of Education, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- April 1991 Evaluation of English Language Curriculum.Pakistan Military Academy, Kakul, Abbottabad, Pakistan.
- January 1990 Introduction to Generative Linguistics: Series of Lectures on Syntax, Morphology, Phonology and Sociolinguistics. Pak-American Cultural Centre (PACC), Karachi, Pakistan.
Brief Statement of Research Interest
- Linguistics: Minimalist syntax, Urdu syntax, Sociolinguistics, Language typology.
- ELT: Curriculum design, Testing, ESP.
- A Note of Disagreement on Verb Agreement in Hindi-Urdu. 1989. Linguistics. 27:6 (pp 71-97).
- The Ergative Case in Hindi-Urdu. 1987. Studies in Linguistic Science. 17:1 (pp 91-101)
- Kay hawalay kay hawalay say. March 2016. Adab-e-Latif. 81:3(pp 148-152)
- MaiN, Zamir Naqvi aur ‘nigh-e-deeda-e-tasveer’. December 2011. Adab-e-Latif. 79:12 (pp 242-263).
- Mass literacy: the military option. 2 February 1996. Dawn Magazine.
Selected Professional Presentations
- Developing language quiz on Socrative App. 18 December 2012. Training workshop conducted at Khalifa City Women’s College, Higher Colleges of Technology (HCT), Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Using I-etherpad to develop Writing Skills. (In collaboration with Christine Lampe) 27th March 2011. Workshop conducted at ‘Focus on Foundations Conference’, Centre of Excellence for English, Al-Ain Colleges, HCT. Al Ain, UAE.
- Online tools for IELTS students. (In collaboration with Christine Lampe, Stephen Aston and Tsoghik Grigoryan) 27th March 2011. A joint presentation at ‘Focus on Foundations Conference’, Centre of Excellence for English, Al-Ain Colleges, HCT. Al Ain, UAE.
- Assessment for Learning. 7 October 2010. Workshop conducted for faculty PD at Al Ain Women’s College, HCT, Al Ain, UAE.
- Academic Writing. March 1995. A talk given at the Institute of Business Administration (IBA), Karachi University, Karachi, Pakistan.
- Towards defining ESP. 19 – 22 April 1994. Paper presented at IATEFL annual meeting. Swansea, South Wales, UK.
- Formation of The Aga Khan University English Language Unit. 8 June 1993. A presentation at the Conference of English Language Units of Pakistan, jointly hosted by the University Grants Commission and The British Council, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Designing a curriculum. September 1992. Workshop conducted at PIA Training Centre, Karachi, Pakistan.
- Applied Linguistics & Language Teaching. 6 Oct. – 22 Dec., 1991. Supervised and delivered a teacher training program at The Aga Khan University, Pakistan.
- What to look for in textbook materials? 14 March 1990. Key note address at SPELT annual conference, Karachi, Pakistan.
- Ergativity in Hindi-Urdu. 1986. Paper presented at South Asian Languages Analysis Roundtable (SALA), University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL., USA.
042-35880007 Ext: 124
Faculty of English, University of Central Punjab