Dr. Muhammad Awais Shafique
Muhammad Awais Shafique is a Civil Engineer, specialized in Transportation Engineering. He completed his B.Sc. Civil Engineering and M.Sc. Transportation Engineering from University of Engineering and Technology (UET) Lahore, Pakistan, in 2008 and 2011 respectively. He earned his PhD. in Civil Engineering from University of Tokyo, Japan in 2015 and continued his stay there till March 2016 as a Post-Doctoral researcher. He is still attached to the University of Tokyo as a visiting researcher. From 2009, he has been in the academic profession and was associated with UET Lahore before shifting to University of Central Punjab (UCP) in 2017. His research interests include application of machine learning and pattern recognition in transportation.
1. Automatic Travel Mode Detection using Smartphones: Application in Pakistan
Description: This project focuses on the development of detection methodology, including algorithms, for identifying the mode of travel used by collecting the sensors data via smartphones. This study is first of its kind to be initiated in Pakistan. Automatic travel mode detection will greatly improve the accuracy and amount of travel data, hence providing the traffic planners with more reliable and workable information.
2. Development of Light Weight Deflectometer
Collaborators: To be included
Students: To be included
Description: Non-destructive testing of roads is not common in Pakistan due to the expensive equipment and expertise required. The purpose of this upcoming project is to develop a light weight deflectometer, with collaboration among Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and possibly Computer Science departments. This equipment will be able to determine the bearing capacity and compacted quality of laid base and sub-base materials. More importantly, lessons learned and knowledge acquired from this project will direct us to initiate a new project for development of a Falling Weight Deflectometer, which will be a complete package for testing flexible pavements.
List of Publications
- Shafique, M. A. and Qayyum, T. I. Comparison of Bearing Capacity Equations for vertical central loading, First International Conference on Geotechnique, Construction Materials and Environment (GEOMAT), Mie, Japan. (Nov. 2011)
- Shafique, M. A. and Hato, E. Formation of Training and Testing Datasets, for Transportation Mode Identification, 4th International Conference on Traffic and Transportation Engineering, Madrid, Spain. (May 2015)
- Shafique, M. A. and Hato, E. Optimum Training Sample Size for Travel Mode Detection using Smartphone, Annual International Conference on Transportation, Athens, Greece. (June 2015)
- Shafique, M. A. and Hato, E. A Comparison among various Classification Algorithms for Travel Mode Detection using Sensors’ data collected by Smartphones, 14th International Conference on Computers in Urban Planning and Urban Management, CUPUM 2015, MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts. (July 2015)
- Shafique, M. A. and Hato, E. Modelling of Accelerometer Data for Travel Mode Detection by Hierarchical Application of Binomial Logistic Regression. Transportation Research Procedia 10, 236-244, (2015), 18th Euro Working Group on Transportation, EWGT 2015, Delft, The Netherlands. (July 2015).
- Shafique, M. A. Hato, E. and Yaginuma, H. Using Probe Person Data for Travel Mode Detection, International Conference on Signal Processing, Pattern Recognition and Applications, Osaka, Japan. (Oct. 2014)
- Shafique, MA, Eiji Hato and Hideki Yaginuma. Optimum Feature Extraction Window Size for the Purpose of Travel Mode Detection using Smartphone’s Accelerometer, 12th ITS Symposium 2014, Tohoku University, Sendai. (Dec 2014)
- Shafique, M. A. and Hato, E. A Review of Travel Data Collection Methods. 17th International Conference on Civil Engineering and Applied Mechanics, Paris, France. (April 2015)
- Shafique, M. A. and Hato, E. Travel Mode Detection with Varying Smartphone Data Collection Frequencies. Sensors 16, no. 5, 716 (2016)
- Shafique, M. A. and Hato, E. Use of acceleration data for transportation mode prediction, Transportation, 42(1), 163-188, (2015)
- Shafique, M. A. Hato, E. and Yaginuma, H. Using Probe Person Data for Travel Mode Detection, International Journal of Computer, Information, Systems and Control Engineering, 8(10), 1482 – 1486, (2014)
- Shafique, M. A. and Hato, E. Formation of Training and Testing Datasets, for Transportation Mode Identification. Journal of Traffic and Logistics Engineering, 3(1), 77-80, (2015).
Faculty of Civil Engineering, University of Central Punjab