Dr. Nauman Mazher
Associate Dean/ Associate Professor
I completed my MS in Computer Engg from Iowa State Univ, USA, in 2000, and later my PhD in the same area from Centre for Advanced Studies in Engg, Islamabad, Pakistan, in 2011. During PhD I also worked as research scholar at WAVEs lab in Electrical & Computer Engg Dept, Michigan State University, USA.
My research focus has been in the domain of Nature Inspired computing and I developed a novel Artificial Immune System (AIS) security framework for the Mobile Adhoc Network (MANET) routing protocol BeeAdHoc, based on the foraging principles of honey bees. The AIS model was compared with cryptographic approach and the research published in international journal (Elsevier’s ASOC) and conferences (GECCO, ICARIS). The publications have to date achieved more than 85 citations, a manifestation of their contribution to research in AIS and MANET security. My current research interest is focused in the domain of Internet of Things.
Prior to joining UCP, I was in Air Force (since 1987) and had been teaching in College of Aeronautical Engg (CAE), National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST), Risalpur. Starting from March 2014, I have joined Faculty of Information Technology (FoIT), University of Central Punjab (UCP), Lahore. I am currently working as Associate Dean in FoIT, and performing the academic administration and management tasks along with teaching computer networking related courses at graduate and undergraduate level.
Computer Networking related courses
PhD Computer Engineering (2011)
Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering (CASE), Islamabad, Pakistan
(06 months research phase at Michigan State University, USA)
Master of Science, Computer Engineering (2000)
IOWA State University, USA
BE Avionics Engineering (1987)
College of Aeronautical Engg (CAE), NED University, Karachi, Pakistan
(March 2016 to date) Associate Dean, Faculty of Information Technology (FoIT), University of Central Punjab (UCP), Lahore, Pakistan.
Academic administration and human resource management related to Faculty of Information Technology at the university, along with teaching and research assignments.
(March 2014 to Feb 2016) Associate Professor, Faculty of Information Technology (FoIT), University of Central Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan.
Taught courses of Data Communications, Computer Communications & Networks, Data Network Security, Advanced Computer Networks.
(Aug 2008 to Jan 2014) Associate Professor, College of Aeronautical Engg (CAE), National University of Sciences & Technology (NUST), Risalpur, Pakistan.
Taught courses of Engineering Circuit Analysis, Data and Computer Communications, Digital Logic Design.
Also worked as deputy head of department, assisting in managing the routine working of the avionics department.
Conducted short courses on Data Networks.
Supervised undergraduate final year student projects related to the following topics:
- Artificial immune system approach to identify nodes that drop packets to degrade network performance.
- A protocol analyzer using libpcap library to determine traffic related to email, file transfer and web search.
- Application of WEKA machine learning tool for anomalies in BeeAdHoc routing protocol.
- Ns-2 based simulations of DSR protocol for correct routing behaviour.
- Simulation of data link protocol for radio link in TDM mode.
- Testing verilog code for AES algorithm on Xylinx ISE.
- Study of behavior of routing protocols in ns-2 under three mobility models; random waypoint (RWP), reference point group mobility (RPGM) and column mobility model (CMM).
(Jan 2008 to June 2008) PhD research work at Michigan State University, USA for six months as visiting scholar, under International Research Support Initiative Program (IRSIP) scholarship from Higher Education Commission (HEC), Govt of Pakistan.
(June 2004 to Dec 2007) Studying for PhD in Computer Engineering from Centre for Advanced Studies in Engg (CASE), Islamabad, Pakistan, affiliated with University of Engineering and Technology (UET), Taxila, Pakistan, under scholarship from Higher Education Commission (HEC), Govt of Pakistan.
PhD thesis dealt with application of artificial immune system models for routing in the dynamic Mobile Adhoc Network (MANET) environment in a secure energy efficient manner. An adaptive hybrid AIS scheme was proposed, inspired from the classical models of biological immune system and implemented in network simulator, ns-2. The extensive empirical evaluations indicated the proposed approach to have better network performance and low energy consumption.
(Jan 2001 to May 2004) Supervision of the upkeep/maintenance of computer systems and installation/running of the intra-office network. Attended the following workshops and short courses:-
- Interconnecting cisco network devices for network implementation.
- Planning, deploying and configuring firewall.
- Deploying and managing microsoft certificate authority.
- Network testing.
(Aug 1999 to Dec 2000) Studied for MS in Computer Engineering from Iowa State University, USA. Worked on research version of Network Flight Recorder (NFR) and coded filters in N-code for signature based detection.
(Aug 1998 to Jul 1999) Studied for Split MS in Avionics Engineering at College of Aeronautical Engg (CAE), National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST), Rislapur, Pakistan. Spent two semesters at CAE and then got selected for MS at Iowa State University, USA, under scholarship from NUST.
(Jul 1987 to Jul 1998) Got commission in air force engineering branch in 1987 after completing bachelors in avionics engg. Served in various capacities on engineering related duties at bases providing field level and 2nd line maintenance support, and performing staff work at headquarters.
(Jul 1983 to Apr 1987) Studied for bachelors degree in avionics engg from College of Aeronautical Engg (CAE), Nadirshaw Eduljee Dinshaw (NED) University, Karachi, Pakistan.
PHD Work Publications
- Mazhar, M. Farooq. Elsevier Journal of Applied Soft Computing (ASOC), 11(8):5695–5714, (doi:10.1016/j.asoc.2011.03.021, ISSN 1568-4946). Dec 2011.
- Maan, N. Mazhar. The Third International Conference on Ubiquitous and Future Networks (ICUFN 2011), pp. 179-184. Dalian, China, June 15-17, 2011.
- Mazhar. Pakistan Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences (PJEAS), vol-7, pp. 71-94. July 2010.
- Mazhar, M. Farooq. The International Conference on Artificial Immune Systems (ICARIS’07), LNCS, vol. 4628, pp. 370-381, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, August 2007.
- Mazhar, M. Farooq. The Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO’07), pp. 102–109, ACM. London, July 2007.
- N. Mazhar, M. Farooq. The Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO’08), pp. 63-70, ACM. Atlanta, Georgia, USA, July 12-16, 2008.
C/C++, Perl, TCL, shell scripting, verilog.
TCP/IP, Unix Socket API, libpcap.
Matlab, Modelsim, Latex, Ploticus
Honor and Awards
Member Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC).
NUST scholarship for MS from Iowa State University, USA.
Member Institute of Engineers of Pakistan (IEP)
HEC PhD Scholarship for Indigenous PhD.
HEC IRSIP scholarship for Michigan State University, USA.
04235880007- Ext -450
Faculty of Information Technology, University of Central Punjab