This program is designed to prepare scholars for academic careers in teaching and research in media and communication. You will receive a solid foundation in the discipline through a multidimensional exploration of the theories and methods that influence the shape and scope of media research.
Program DetailsThis program is divided into three parts; course work, comprehensive exam and dissertation. Duration of this program is a minimum of 03 years and maximum of 08 years. Course work is spread over a period of two semesters, involving courses of 18 credit hours. After the completion of course work those students who wish to appear in a comprehensive exam, have to file candidacy petition. The students will be asked to provide one general area of dissertation and one secondary area in consultation with their advisor and must satisfy the committee that he/she is equipped enough to conduct the research in a specific area. Then they will be asked to take a comprehensive written exam (Max 2 Attempts) followed by Viva Voce. After defending the comprehensive exam, students will be permitted to write their proposals under the close supervision of their supervisors. The proposal will be discussed in the Doctoral Committee and finally in Board of Advance Studies & Research (BAS&R) of University of Central Punjab. After final approval of the proposal, students will go for the Dissertation.
Year 1, Semester 1Course Code Title Cr. Hrs.
- JMS 7013Research Debates3
- JMS 7023Managing Information3
- JMS 7033Tools and skills of Social Sciences Research3
Year 1, Semester 2Course Code Title Cr. Hrs.
- JMS 7043Dissertation Writing Workshop3
- JMS 7053Optional Course* (Book Review, Media in Conflict and Crisis Communication, Gender Studies, Rhetoric Communication, Global Communication, Media Effects, Semiotics etc.)3
- JMS 7063Research Practicum3
Year 2, Semester 3 & 4Course Code Title Cr. Hrs.
- JMS 7030Dissertation30
* Note: Student will opt any one out of eleven optional courses.
- Global/Intercultural Communication
- Development Communication
- Media Culture and Society
- Social Media
- Media and Politics
- Gender Studies
- Rhetoric Communication
- Media Effects
- Media Management
- Book Review
PhD in Communication Studies (3 yrs)
- Courses Cr. Hrs. Fee per course Admission Fee Total Fee 1st Semester
- 6 Research Thesis48 (18 30)31,50025,000214,000 Research work fee = Total 340000119,500