MS/M.Phil. degree program in Applied Linguistics is a 2-Year Degree Program that covers core areas of language teaching, formal and applied linguistics. This program offers candidates the opportunity to acquire knowledge and understanding of a range of issues concerning language, the way it functions in society and relates to real-world issues.
The broad field of subjects includes the core course modules such as introduction to linguistics, phonetics and phonology, morphology and syntax, semantics and pragmatics and various ELT related topics. The complex workings of language and its practice, playing a central role in society and in different social settings will be explored in subjects like sociolinguistics and psycholinguistics. The most prominent themes and the central topics within the field of MS/M.Phil. in Applied Linguistics are those surrounding second and foreign language education.
- Total Number of Credit Hours: 30
- Duration: 2 Year
- Course Load per Semester: 6-9 Credit Hrs.
- Number of Courses per Semester: 2-3
Sample Course Plan MS/M.Phil. Applied Linguistics
Year 1, Semester 1Sr. No. Code Course Cr. Hrs.
- 1LING5113Contemporary Issues in Applied Linguistics3
- 2LING5123Research Methodology in Linguistics3
- 3Optional I3
Year 1, Semester 2Sr. No. Code Course Cr. Hrs.
- 1LING5213Issues in Syntax3
- 2LING5223Theories of Language Description3
- 3Optional I3
Year 2, Semester 3Sr. No. Code Course Cr. Hrs.
- 1Optional I3
- 2Optional II3
- 3Thesis I (Proposal Writing and Proposal Defense)3
- Total (MS)6
- Total (M.Phil)9
- (Note: Thesis I is for M.Phil. students only)
Year 2, Semester 4Sr. No. Code Course Cr. Hrs.
- 1Optional I (MS)3
- 2Optional II (MS)3
- 3Thesis II (M.Phil.)3
- Total (MS)6
- Total M.Phil.3
- Total Credit Hours30
- (Note: M.Phil. students will work on Thesis only and will have no Course Work in IV Semester)
- Candidates having MA English (2nd Division), BS English (Hons), BA (Hons) (Major English) or 16 years of education in relevant field with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 are eligible to apply for MPhil/MS English Literature.
- A candidate will need to qualify UCP Admission Test and Interview for admission in MPhil/MS English Literature
MS/M.Phil Applied Linguistics ( 2 yrs, 4 semesters)
- Courses Cr. Hrs. Fee per course Admission Fee Total Fee 1st Semester
A Student will register for each Semester during the Thesis work and will pay Fee of one Course for each Semester. A student Registered for MS/MPhil Thesis will have to pay minimum fee equal to two courses and a student registered in Ph.D Thesis will have to pay minimum fee equal to four courses.
The above-mentioned fee structure is for illustration purpose only. UCP reserves the rights to make changes in the Fee Structure whenever deemed necessary or appropriate.