This course will provide students with theoretical basis to understand basic roots of psychology and the contribution of western and Muslim scholars in the development and enhancement of psychology.
This course will cover the domains like conception of scientific history, Philosophical influence, early approaches in psychology, Behaviorism, Gestalt, Psychoanalysis. This course is an overview of the history of psychology. History of psychology aims at understanding the origin of psychology and how different philosophers, neurologist, physiologist, sociologist and psychologist contributed in its development and how traditional psychologist evolved into modern science.
- Hergenhahn, B. R. (2001). An introduction to the history of psychology. New York: Wadsworth.
- Sharma, N., & Sharma, R. (2003). History and schools of psychology. New Delhi: Atlantic Publishers.
- Shultz, D. (1981). A history of psychology. Florida: Academic Press.
- Wolmen, B. B. (I 979). Contemporary theories and systems in psychology. New York: Harper & Row.
- Murphy, G. (1949). Historical introduction to modern psychology. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.