BiochemistryBiochemistry is a central discipline to all Branches of Biology/ Life Sciences. It deals with the chemical nature, function, structure, energetic and pathways of synthesis and degradation of simple to complex biological and/or cellular molecules to understand the various aspects of cellular and molecular functions in development, health and disease with applications in Biotechnology, Microbiology and Medicine. Biochemistry at FLS is one of the most vibrant and visible faculty among the Pakistani Universities because of its location, the competition for admission in the PhD, MS and BS Programs. FLS has ideal students to the faculty ratio, teaching experience of the faculty, publications, extra research grants/support the faculty generates from National and International Organizations and in terms of infrastructural facilities. In addition, the faculties are able to fortify collaboration in the new and interdisciplinary research areas such as Nano-Biology, Medical Biotechnology, and Stem Cell Biology etc.
Sample Course Plan for BS Biochemistry
Year 1, Semester 1Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- CompulsoryEnglish I3 (3 + 0)
- CompulsoryPakistan Studies2 (2 + 0)
- CompulsoryIslamic studies /Ethics2 (2 + 0)
- CompulsoryIntroduction to Computer Science3 (2 + 1)
- CompulsorySocial Science I3 (3 + 0)
- Foundation-IIntroduction to Biochemistry4 (3 + 1)
Year 1, Semester 2Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- CompulsoryEnglish-II3 (3 + 0)
- CompulsoryBiostatistics3 (3 + 0)
- General-IISocial Science II3 (3 + 0)
- General-IIIMarketing and Management3 (3 + 0)
- General-IVOrganic Chemistry3 (2 + 1)
- Foundation-IICarbohydrates and Lipids4 (3 + 1)
Year 2, Semester 3Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- CompulsoryEnglish-III (Writing and Comp)3 (3 + 0)
- CompulsoryMath / Biology3 (3 + 0)
- General-VInorganic Chemistry3 (2 + 1)
- General-VIPhysical Chemistry3 (2 + 1)
- Foundation-IIIAmino Acid and Proteins4 (3 + 1)
- Foundation-IVHuman Physiology3 (3 + 0)
Year 2, Semester 4Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- General-VIIBiophysics /Analytical Chemistry3 (3 + 0)
- General-VIIIGenetics3 (3 + 0)
- Foundation-VEnzymes3 (2 + 1)
- Foundation-VIMolecular Biology3 (3 + 0)
- Foundation-VIIMetabolism4 (4 + 0)
- General-IXMicrobiology3 (2 + 1)
Year 3, Semester 5Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- Major-ICell Biology3 (2 + 1)
- Major-IIBiochemistry Techniques3 (1 + 2)
- Major-IIIBiosafety and Ethics2 (0 + 2)
- Major-IVPlant Biochemistry3 (2 + 1)
- Major-VClinical Biochemistry3 (2 + 1)
- Elective-IGeneral Virology3 (2 + 1)
Year 3, Semester 6Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- Elective-IICell and Tissue Culture3 (2 + 1)
- Major-VIBio-Membranes and Cell Signaling3 (3 + 0)
- Major-VIIBioenergetics2 (0 + 2)
- Major-VIIINutritional Biochemistry3 (2 + 1)
- Major-IXBioinformatics3 (2 + 1)
Year 4, Semester 7Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- Major-XIndustrial3 (2 + 1)
- Major-XIBiotechnology3 (3 + 0)
- Major-XIIImmunology3 (3 + 0)
- Major-XIIICurrent Trends in Biochemistry3 (3 + 0)
- Research Project/Special Paper-I (M)3 (0 + 3)
Year 4, Semester 8Type Name of Subject Cr. Hrs.
- Major-XIVEnvironmental Biochemistry2 (2 + 0)
- Elective-IIIFermentation Biotechnology3 (3 + 0)
- Elective-IVToxicology3 (3 + 0)
- Internship (M)3 (0 + 3)
- Research Project/Special Paper-II (M)3 (0 + 3)
To apply for BS in any of the above-mentioned programs, a candidate must have at least 45% marks or 2nd division in F.Sc. Pre-Medical /A level or an equivalent.
The successful completion of the Biochemistry program at UCP enables the student to understand complex biological processes that affect human disease, genetics and bacteria. The program allows the student to pursue a career in science, medical and health along with the opportunity to conduct research. Biochemists are highly demanded in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and agricultural companies.
BS Biochemistry ( 4 yrs, 8 semesters)
- Courses Cr. Hrs. Fee per course Admission Fee Total Fee 1st Semester