The course aims to:
- Prepare the students with the essential tools of algebra
- Develop skills to apply the concepts and the techniques
- Preliminaries: Real-number system, complex numbers, introduction to sets, set operations, functions, types of functions.
- Matrices: Introduction to matrices, types, matrix inverse, determinants, system of linear equations, Cramer’s rule.
- Quadratic Equations: Solution of quadratic equations, qualitative analysis of roots of a quadratic equations, equations reducible to quadratic equations, cube roots of unity, relation between roots and coefficients of quadratic equations.
- Sequences and Series:Arithmetic progression, geometric progression, harmonic progression. Binomial Theorem:Introduction to mathematical induction, binomial theorem with rational and irrational indices.
- Trigonometry:Fundamentals of trigonometry, trigonometric identities.