Ambassador (Retired) Abdul Mateen holds Masters Degrees in International Relations from the School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), John Hopkins University, Washington D.C., and Economics from the University of the Punjab, Lahore. He has taught various courses at post graduate level at the University of Punjab, Bahauddin Zakariya University, Quaid-e-Azam University, International Islamic University, Fatima Jinnah University, Rawalpindi and Foreign Service Academy Islamabad. He served Government of Pakistan as Foreign Service Officer and served at various positions in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Islamabad and Pakistan Embassies abroad. He has vast experience of participating in Seminars, Conferences and wrote research articles for national and international journals.
Ph. D Scholar,
Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad, (Thesis Submitted)
M. A. (International Relations)
School for Advanced International Studies (SAIS),
John Hopkins University, Washington, D.C.
M. A. (Economics)
University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan.
Forman Christian College, University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan.
- July 2018 – to-date, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Central Punjab, Lahore,
- October 2014 – July 2018, Principal Lecturer, Faculty of Management Sciences, University of Central Punjab, Lahore, (Courses Taught: Principles of Economics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, International Business, International Relations, Conflict Management and Dispute Resolution, Survey of South Asia, Law, Politics and Society, Pakistan Studies)
- February 2001 – Feb. 2003, and November 2006 – April 2008, Foreign Service Academy, Islamabad
- Visiting Faculty Member, Economics Department, Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad. For Fall-2001 (Political Economy), Spring-2002 (Environmental Economics) and Fall 2002 (Political Economy).
- Visiting Faculty Member, Defence & Diplomatic Studies Program, Fatima Jinnah Women University, Rawalpindi. For Fall-2001 (Diplomacy), Spring 2002 (Geo- Economics), Fall 2002 (Diplomacy), Spring 2007 (International Organizations) and Fall 2008 (Geo-economics). Taught undergraduate class in Spring 2002, a subject titled Globalization.
- Visiting Faculty Member, Department of Political Science and International Relations, International Islamic University, Islamabad, For Spring 2002 (International Organizations), Spring 2007 (Political Economy) and Spring 2009 ( Theories of International Relations)
- Institute of Management, PMAS Arid Agriculture University, Rawalpindi, Fall 2007, (Negotiations and conflict Management)
- 1978 – March 1980, Lecturer, Department of Economics, Bahauddin Zakaria University, Multan, Pakistan.
- 1978 – Dec. 1978, Lecturer (part time), Department of Economics, University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan. (Courses Taught: Labor Economics)
Pakistan’s diplomatic missions abroad
- Ambassador of Pakistan to Kyrgyzstan, June 2013 – April 2014
- Ambassador of Pakistan to Senegal with Concurrent Accreditation to Gambia, Cape Verde, Guinea Bissau, Guinea, Ivory Coast and Sierra Leone. August 2009-June 2013
- Minister / Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of Pakistan, Moscow, Feb. 2003 – Oct. 2006
- Counselor, Embassy of Pakistan, Riyadh, September 1998 – November 2000
- Consul, Consulate General of Pakistan, Jeddah, Feb. 1997- August 1998
- Counselor, Embassy of Pakistan, Copenhagen, Sept. 1994 – Feb. 1997
- Third Secretary, Embassy of Pakistan, Kuwait. July 1983 – Feb. 1987
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Director General, (Economic Coordination), March 2009-August 2009
- Director General, (East Asia and Pacific), May 2008 – February 2009
- Director, Foreign Service Academy, Islamabad, November 2006 – April 2008
- Director, Foreign Service Academy, Islamabad, Feb. 2001 – Feb. 2003
- December 2000 – January 2001, Director (Arab Affairs).
- 1992 – Sept. 1994. Director, (United Nations)
- Director, (Afghanistan) February 1989 – August 1990..
- Desk Officer, Responsible for Personnel and Administrative matters of the Officers of the Ministry and Missions abroad, March 1987 – June 1988
- Desk Officer, Middle East and China, Nov. 1980 – Aug. 1981
- Civil Services Academy, Lahore, (Public Administration) April – Nov. 1980
- Foreign Service Training Institute, Islamabad, Sept. 1981- June 1982 Concentration included Diplomacy, International Relations and International Organizations, International Economics, Protocol Practices and Arabic.
- Al-Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt. (Arabic Language) Sept. 1982- June 1983
- United Nations. Geneva, New York, Disarmament Fellow. July 1988- Nov. 1988, Research paper submitted on ‘Confidence Building Measures and South Asia’
- United Nations. Center for Human Rights, Workshop on Human Rights, Jan. 24-28, 1993, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Islamic Development Bank. Jeddah, Seminar on WTO, June 1997.
- 33rd NIPA Advanced Management Course, NIPA, Peshawar. July-October 2002
- Capacity Building Program in Diplomatic Training, 4-15 June 2007, Clingendael Institute, The Hague, Netherlands
List of Publications
- Youth Employment in Pakistan. Journal of Research, University of the Punjab, Lahore, 1978.
- Population of Pakistan, Problems and Prospects. Pakistan Administration, Pakistan Administrative Staff College, Lahore, 1979.
- Rural Development Programs in Pakistan, An Analysis. Journal of Research, University of the Punjab, Lahore, 1979.
- Interest Free Economy: Paper presented in a Seminar at the B.Z. University Multan, 1979
- Political Economy of Fiscal Policy in Pakistan, Journal of Lahore School of Economics, Fall 2003.
- Diversity in Action: India Pakistan Conflict Resolution in Post Cold War Period (1990-2002), in ‘Pakistan’, Institute of Oriental Studies, Moscow, Russia, 2005
- Terrorism Engulfs Pakistan: A study of the growth of internal terrorism in Pakistan, 1972-92, in ‘Pakistan’, Institute of Oriental Studies, Moscow, Russia, 2005
- Disaster Management: UN and International Organizations, Paper presented at a Seminar arranged by the International Relations Department, Karachi University, 2009
- Articles in “Global Age”, Lahore, in Issues from 2016 – 2017
- Environment Degradation in Pakistan, A case for Air Quality,
- Macroeconomic Stability in Pakistan
- Free (but not Fair) Trade Agreements by Pakistan
- Political Violence in Pakistan
Faculty of Information Technology, University of Central Punjab